Why the Eagles should seriously consider trading up from the 10th pick

time2rock

Why the Eagles should seriously consider trading up from the 10th pick

image.png.f1fb090fda430e6525d833b0b772657b.png

The Philadelphia Eagles enter the 2023 NFL Draft in the luxurious position of holding two first-round draft picks — owning the 30th pick and also the 10th pick, which they had acquired from the New Orleans Saints in a trade last year.

With that kind of draft capital, could the Eagles potentially move up in the draft?

Rob Ellis and Eliot Shorr-Parks of Audacy’s Go Birds! Podcast ran through different scenarios and options that the Eagles could have on draft night — with both open to move up if it lands them an impact player who can immediately make a difference.

"Ten definitely has to be an impact right away,” Shorr-Parks said. “…I think the importance of getting somebody at 10 is so critical, I would definitely be open to packaging 30 to get up to five. … If you get up to the fourth or fifth pick and Will Anderson or Jalen Carter is still on the board? I’m all in for trading that 30th pick.”

image.png.7b4ea4dfd9115e18897556a10c14c487.png

Both Shorr-Parks and Ellis believe the defensive line and pass rush is a necessity to address despite the return of some veteran players, such as Fletcher Cox.

Between Anderson — an outside linebacker from Alabama — and Carter — a defensive end from Georgia — the latter seems most likely to fall in the draft due to questions surrounding his alleged involvement in a car crash that resulted in the death of his teammate, Devon Willock, and Georgia staff member Chandler Lecroy.

Carter, who at one point was considered a potential option as the No. 1 overall pick, has since been sentenced to 12 months probation and a $1,000 fine after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor reckless driving charge, but it remains to be seen how it will impact his draft stock.

Should both pass rushers go off the board early, though, then the Eagles may turn their attention to Texas running back Bijan Robinson.

"If they do stay there…for me, all roads always lead back to Bijan for me,” Shorr-Parks said. "This is a guy who can come in and literally change the offense and take it to another level. The value of taking a running back [that high] we can debate, but there’s no reason not to have a ton of value in [a running back].

"Miles Sanders touched the ball 19 times a game last year. That’s a lot…they lost Miles Sanders. That sometimes goes a little under-discussed because he was undervalued in this city, in my opinion, but he was a very reliable and good No. 1 running back and now they don’t have someone there.”

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/should-eagles-trade-up-from-10th-pick-at-2023-nfl-draft

• Haha 1

If ESP thinks it then it might be a bad idea!

He’s not actually as bad as he used to be though to be fair.

And in this case I’m not completely opposed to moving up from 10 but to give up 30 feels like a big price to pay. But in a draft that lacks quality overall getting one of the premium defensive players would be good!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If ESP thinks it then it might be a bad idea!

He’s not actually as bad as he used to be though to be fair.

And in this case I’m not completely opposed to moving up from 10 but to give up 30 feels like a big price to pay. But in a draft that lacks quality overall getting one of the premium defensive players would be good!

I don't see a need to give up 30.  Picks 10 + 30 would allow us to move to 4 (and even then get some extra in return like a 4th and 5th).  We won't need to go up that far ... but if we did, I wouldn't do it.  You give up 2 x 1s for a QB ... not a DT.  

• Like 1

Dumb idea ! The Eagles only had 5 picks last year and they have 6 this year. We need more picks not fewer especially in light of the new contract for Hurts. 

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't see a need to give up 30.  Picks 10 + 30 would allow us to move to 4 (and even then get some extra in return like a 4th and 5th).  We won't need to go up that far ... but if we did, I wouldn't do it.  You give up 2 x 1s for a QB ... not a DT.  

I tend to agree there bud! I wouldn’t be giving up 30 but a second round pick? Ok yeah I may do that. But then let’s maybe see how things fall in the top 5 and then decide.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:49 PM, time2rock said:

and certainly not a DT with questionable work ethic (performance at pro day)

The transition from college to the pros depends so much on a players development at that point, his perceived "upside" and what he is drafted into.  To say a highly drafted player MUST have an impact in his rookie year is short sighted.

It's why so many players, who were drafted by bad teams, end up underperforming and not developing as expected.  They are thrust into playing time when they really aren't ready for full time roles.  Especially QBs.  But DBs, LBs, & Safeties can be completely confused by today's OCs.   Linemen, offense & defense, can be overwhelmed by veteran counterparts.

A team as talented as the eagles can afford to strategically get playing time for young guys and their contributions can build up over the year.  I think Davis and Nakobe Dean will really open some eyes this year....

The eagles need more talent at safety, LB, defensive line and 3rd & 4th receivers.