Jeremiah Trotter Jr. (OLB, Clemson) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES! #155

pgcd3

On 12/10/2023 at 8:35 AM, time2rock said:

Dream draft

Lassiter CB from Georgia in Round 1 (not sure if he'll still be on the board when we pick barring a trade up)

Trotter in Round 2

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 2:25 AM, eggs said:

So if we got a cb in the first and trotter in the second, how do we shed one of the contracts to Bradberry or Slay?

Would definitely need to be creative but at the same time, both guys are realistically on their last contract with the team and it's time to groom their replacements sooner rather than later. 

Might require a trade to recoup some draft capital, probably won't get much with their age. Bradberry struggles in the slot and we already have Maddox who is fine there, but gets hurt quite a bit. Not sure if Slay would fare much better there either, so I agree you'd probably have to move someone if we draft Lassiter in the 1st.

Either way these guys aren't getting younger (or better). No CB in the 1st round since 2002, that needs to change. If not in the 2024 draft, within the next few years for sure

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 1:25 AM, eggs said:

So if we got a cb in the first and trotter in the second, how do we shed one of the contracts to Bradberry or Slay?

They will not take a corner in the 1st.  Unless they are done with Bradberry.  Howie will find a way to trade him or work his cap wizardry if they need to cut him.

They will be confident in Slay, Ringo, Ricks and the rest and not draft a corner high.  They haven't taken a 1st round CB in 22 years.  No 1st round LB in 44 years, Safety in 54 years.

They need a DE and OT to replace Lane (unless they really like Steen).  I could see DE in the 1st.  But if Trotter is available in the 2nd, trade up to get him.

44 minutes ago, NOTW said:

They will not take a corner in the 1st.  Unless they are done with Bradberry.  Howie will find a way to trade him or work his cap wizardry if they need to cut him.

They will be confident in Slay, Ringo, Ricks and the rest and not draft a corner high.  They haven't taken a 1st round CB in 22 years.  No 1st round LB in 44 years, Safety in 54 years.

They need a DE and OT to replace Lane (unless they really like Steen).  I could see DE in the 1st.  But if Trotter is available in the 2nd, trade up to get him.

I agree - CBs tend to shake loose in free agency, so rather than investing the time and draft resources into a risky proposition - I see Howie rolling with the current cast and targeting a FA in 2025 to pair with Ringo (hopefully).

On 1/1/2024 at 8:45 AM, xxeaglesfanxx said:

No chance the Eagles go LB round 1.

Agreed, they might look to get one in round 2 though

14 minutes ago, Mat said:

Agreed, they might look to get one in round 2 though

Based on the history of this team? I’m not so sure about that bud.

Another LB that I like - a bit heavier / good length and rangy.  I think Dean gets another crack at the green dot, so an OLB type to play along side of him makes sense to me.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, NOTW said:

This is not a strong EDGE draft in my opinion. 

I do not get this admiration with the single player…. My brilliant idea is let’s trade down all our picks until we reach a 5th round…And then wholesale pick as many picks as possible. Historically We have been very successful in the 5th round. Youth movement and letting all picks mature at the same rate. By year 2 we could not possibly do worse than Howie pickings in the previous drafts.

On 12/10/2023 at 5:35 AM, time2rock said:

These jokers have us picking 30th ! lol and taking a WR out of Oregon! lol 

with all our defensive issues? No way do I see that occurring.

7 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

These jokers have us picking 30th ! lol and taking a WR out of Oregon! lol 

with all our defensive issues? No way do I see that occurring.

Well note that mock was posted prior to the losing streak (we had only lost to SF at that point so were 10-2 with the best record in the NFL).  Their most recent mock is from December 27th ... I'm sure where they have us picking will change in the next revision.  

• Like 1

And there's another MLB Trotter (Josiah) at West Virginia right now.  Freshman, who blew his knee out in the Spring.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:14 PM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

And there's another MLB Trotter (Josiah) at West Virginia right now.  Freshman, who blew his knee out in the Spring.

Sounds like a Howie guy

Is the draft here yet? 

• 3 weeks later...

I think if he makes it to Round 2, I think Howie will try to find a way to get him.

Howie has been with the team, albeit in a different capacity during Jeremiah Trotter's tenure with the Eagles in the 2000s, including SB XXXIX.

If he looks back at all of the SB rosters during his tenure as GM/front office exec, he should realize that having a decent at minimum LB room is key for the defense to be successful.

SB57 had TJ Edwards, Kyzir White, and Haason Reddick (technically listed at LB although EDGE rusher in our defense)

SB52 had Jordan Hicks (lost to injury and replaced with Najee Goode), Mychal Kendricks, and Nigel Bradham.

SB39 had Keith Adams, Jeremiah Trotter, Dhani Jones.

All three of these SB teams had at least one stud LB on the roster and the other guys were at least serviceable starters. Right now we don't have any studs at LB unless we're trying to pass off Shaquille Leonard in his current state as one (not a stud anymore).

Don't be surprised if all the off-ball LBs make it to round two or later. Everybody likes to claim the Eagles don't value them, but it's a league-wide trend.

The magical dream would be one of the top cb’s in round 1 followed by both second round picks on lb’s preferably with a small trade back to pick up a 4th rounder with one of them. 

DJ currently has a 3rd rd grade on Trotter

I like the name and all, but is he really better at tackling and run defense than what we had in 2023?