Eagles Add TE Depth

time2rock

Eagles Add TE Depth

Posted: May 4th, 2023 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

Teams have been adding free agents left and right in the past few days. With the draft over and rosters lacking depth, teams are going after free agents for a couple of reasons. Some teams are adding starters. Other teams are looking for depth.

image.png.3e6244cf95adf37977ae940cc7e3f475.png

We know Dallas Goedert is the starter. Jack Stoll and Grant Calcaterra will battle for the #2 spot. If neither stands out, they could be used situationally. Stoll is the better blocker, Calcaterra is the better receiver.

Tyree Jackson showed potential back in 2021. He was hurt last year and is a mystery heading into this season. If he plays to his potential, he could challenge for a roster spot. That said, he was just re-signed the other day. He feels like a long shot.

Dalton Keene hasn’t played in a game since 2020. He is a camp body.

Russell Brady is a UDFA. We’ll see what happens.

Now you can throw Dan Arnold into the mix. He’s 28 and has played in 59 career games. He is 95-1258-7 as a pass catcher. Arnold is 6-6, 230 and a good athlete. He’s a willing blocker, but is better on the move than in-line. He could be a good backup.

The Eagles showed interest in TEs before the draft, but nothing worked out. Now they are bringing in Arnold to give them a legit fourth option. He’s got an uphill battle to make the roster, but has the ability and experience to win a job. He will provide good competition for Stoll and Calcaterra. Neither of the incumbents has shown enough to just be given a spot. Arnold’s presence will push them.

You can see he’s got excellent RAC ability for a TE. That’s important for the Eagles. They love to use TE screens. Arnold has good hands and looks natural catching the ball. He’s tall enough that he’s a good red zone weapon.

Nothing splashy, but the kind of smart move good teams make when filling out the roster.

image.png.fc459e57670d3020373de4423cfc1d2d.png

I do not miss the days of rookie holdouts.

It is good they got Carter’s contract done right away. You don’t want him missing a single second. He was the initial first rounder to sign so that tells you that Carter and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, understood the need to sign quickly. It is a good signal to the Eagles that he understands this is a business and will act accordingly. Also good for public perception.

Interesting.

image.thumb.png.2afeea79f57dd362ce39e3d9f6fe2e4b.png

I love Deebo. Great player and a lot of fun to watch. But after the NFC CG loss, he hates the Eagles. Good. Rivalries make football fun. The Niners are coming to Philly this year so that should make for a compelling game.

The Eagles biggest rival is Dallas, but you need someone outside the division. The Vikings are somewhat of a rival, but they’re not a compelling team. The Niners have a chance to become a good rival. They are a good team and you know they won’t stop whining about the NFC title game for a while.

The teams have a bit of history. There was SF’s crazy comeback in 1989. They trailed 21-10 in the 4th quarter and won 38-28. There was the 4th down game of 1992, another tough loss. An Eagles comeback was halted when Calvin Williams was marked short of the sticks. There was the epic beatdown of 1994 when the Eagles beat SF 40-8. That’s one of my favorite Eagles games ever. SF won in the wild card round in 1996. In 2002 Koy Detmer led the Eagles to a lead over SF on MNF. He got hurt and AJ Feeley sealed the win. That’s the first time I remember the whole team coming to say goodbye to a player as he was carted off.

And there is this magnificent play.

Let’s hope this is a fun rivalry moving forward.

http://igglesblitz.com/2023/05/eagles-add-te-depth/

Welcome to Philly Arnold. It’ll probably be short and sweet but I’m sure he’ll be a decent option and he provides some depth at TE which we needed.

As for Samuel… Man that guy is pathetic. I hope we smash him to pieces when the Whiners come to Philly.