Hard Knocks 2023 - Who will it be? - It's The J-E-T-S

VaBeach_Eagle

Looks like 4 teams can be forced to do it. The Bears, the Saints, the Redsk... err, Commies and the Jets. That's not to say that some other team won't agree to do it when they don't have to. But I think most teams that don't have to, don't want to. 

Four NFL teams are eligible for 'Hard Knocks' in 2023, and three of them don't seem like they want to do it

The teams eligible to be on 'Hard Knocks' don't seem thrilled with the idea of being on 'Hard Knocks'

By John Breech

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:36 am ET•3 min read

USATSI

The NFL could have a tough time finding a team for "Hard Knocks" this year, and that's because HALF of the teams eligible to be on the show don't seem to have any interest in being on the show. 

For those of you who aren't familiar with the "Hard Knocks" formula, a team doesn't have to be on the show if ANY of the three rules below applies to them:

They have a first-year head coach in place. 

They have a playoff berth in the past two seasons. 

They have appeared on "Hard Knocks" in the past 10 years.

For instance, the Denver Broncos don't have to be on the show in 2023 because they'll have a new head coach. The New England Patriots won't have to be on the show because they've made the playoffs at least once in the past two seasons and the Dallas Cowboys won't have to be on the show because they've appeared on "Hard Knocks" in the past 10 years. 

When we factor in those three rules and apply them to everyone, we're left with just four teams that the NFL can force to be on "Hard Knocks" this year: 

New York Jets

Chicago Bears

New Orleans Saints 

Washington Commanders

The obvious choice here would seem to be the Jets, who will instantly become one of the most fascinating teams in the NFL once they trade for Aaron Rodgers. However, I wouldn't go betting anything on the Jets getting picked because they don't seem too excited at the idea of landing on "Hard Knocks." 

Jets special teams captain Justin Hardee wants nothing to do with the show, which he believes would be a distraction. 

Jets owner Woody Johnson and head coach Robert Saleh were both recently asked how they felt about being on "Hard Knocks" and they both sidestepped the question. 

"I'll leave that one alone," Saleh said at the NFL's annual league meeting last week, via ESPN.com. 

As for Johnson, he gave a very noncommittal answer. 

"Whether we do it this year, I think we'd have to take a hard look," Johnson said, via the New York Post. 

That might sound like Johnson is on the fence, but if he were in favor of doing the show, he'd likely just say that. For instance, back in 2012, he made it clear that the team was open to being on "Hard Knocks" (they didn't end up getting picked that year, though). The Jets previously appeared on Hard Knocks in 2010, which is mostly remembered for Rex Ryan telling his team to go eat a "God d--- snack."

As for Johnson and Saleh, if you want to be on the show, you'd just say that you wanted to be on the show when you got asked about it. If you don't want to be on the show, then you would sidestep the question or just say you don't want to be on the show, which is the route that Bears chairman George McCaskey took. 

McCaskey made it clear at the league meeting that he would be glad to see any team on the show this year, except for the Bears. 

"We feel there are a number of teams that have compelling stories to tell on 'Hard Knocks,'" McCaskey said at the owners meeting said, via The Athletic. "Thirty-one others."

On the Commanders' end, Washington's Jeremy Reaves, who was a special teams All-Pro in 2022, doesn't sound very interested in doing the show. 

One thing working in Reaves' favor is that the NFL might shy away from putting the spotlight on Washington right now. The team is going through a lot of drama related to Dan Snyder and even though he's looking to sell the team, there's still a chance he could be the owner when "Hard Knocks" starts this summer. 

Even if the Jets, Commanders and Bears don't want to be on "Hard Knocks," that doesn't mean they won't be picked. The NFL can force one of the four eligible teams to be on the show. The Raiders didn't want to do the show in 2019, but the NFL picked them anyway. On the other hand, the Jets, Commanders and Bears could be off the hook if a team volunteers to be on the show. The Rams and Chargers did the show together in 2020 even though they weren't on the list of eligible teams. 

With only four eligible teams this year, the Jets, Commanders and Bears will be hoping that someone else volunteers or that the NFL ends up picking the Saints. New Orleans could actually be a fascinating choice with the addition of Derek Carr, plus, the Saints have never been on the show. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-schedule-breakdown-for-all-32-teams-one-good-thing-and-one-bad-thing-each-team-will-face-this-season/

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Jets would be fun given they are a team on the up and have Rodgers.

I hadn't thought about the Rodgers aspect, I bet that's exactly where they go just for that reason alone. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I hadn't thought about the Rodgers aspect, I bet that's exactly where they go just for that reason alone. 

That’s an up and coming team who potentially added a top QB. So yeah I think that’s the one.

Watching that dbag Rodgers would be awful and the jets still suck

Commies will be eligible next year and more intriguing with new ownership.  Jets or Bears.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Commies will be eligible next year ...

Unless they suck this year, get new a owner and that new owner fires Rivera and thus, they'd have a new coach and not be eligible because of that. 

• Like 1

I agree that the Jets and D.C. have the best story lines. Having Rodgers miked up for a season would be a franchise nightmare though. 

• 1 month later...

They sure are taking a long time to announce who it'll be. 

These comments from Head Coaches made me chuckle

Here’s what the teams eligible to be forced into the obligation had to say about the idea at various points this offseason:

• "I wouldn’t like it because I just want to focus on our football team and getting better, and any distractions are exactly that, distractions that keep you, ultimately, from reaching your goal,” Saints coach Dennis Allen said.
  • "I know there’s several teams that would love for ‘Hard Knocks’ to be in their building, but we’re just not one of them,” Jets head coach Robert Saleh said.
  • "We feel there are a number of teams that have compelling stories to tell on ‘Hard Knocks,’” Bears chairman George McCaskey said in March. Asked if that included the Bears, he clarified, "Thirty-one others.”

On 7/1/2023 at 1:25 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They sure are taking a long time to announce who it'll be. 

Feels like they are waiting for Commanders' sale to go through and pick them.  New ownership could be very keen on the idea of introducing themselves through Hard knocks.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Feels like they are waiting for Commanders' sale to go through and pick them.  New ownership could be very keen on the idea of introducing themselves through Hard knocks.

Could be, I know that there's certain things that make a team ineligible from being forced to do it, a new coaching staff is one of them but I don't think new ownership is included in that list of things. 

I'd think that the Jets would be the better option because of Rodgers. He seems like a loon, and loons are always good for TV ratings.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:02 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Could be, I know that there's certain things that make a team ineligible from being forced to do it, a new coaching staff is one of them but I don't think new ownership is included in that list of things. 

I'd think that the Jets would be the better option because of Rodgers. He seems like a loon, and loons are always good for TV ratings.

Conundrum with the jets could be that NFL would rather have Rodgers actually play well and give good ratings all season long.  They know distracting him now won't help that cause.  Commanders gives them a chance at something they really need which is wipe the memory of Danny Boy and announce a return of DC football the League can be proud of.

19 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Conundrum with the jets could be that NFL would rather have Rodgers actually play well and give good ratings all season long.  They know distracting him now won't help that cause.  Commanders gives them a chance at something they really need which is wipe the memory of Danny Boy and announce a return of DC football the League can be proud of.

But if he stinks up the field, that would be a big story too and bring 'haters' of his to the TVs. So it could go either way. 

Packers president may have just accidentally revealed the 'Hard Knocks' team for 2023

It appears that the NFL has finally found a 'Hard Knocks' team for 2023

murphy.jpg

Getty Images

After several months of searching, it looks like the NFL has finally picked a team to be on HBO's "Hard Knocks."

With no one willing to volunteer for the show, all signs are pointing to the fact that the NFL is now going to force the Jets to do it. First, we had a report on June 26 that the Jets were bracing to be on the HBO show. There also seemed to be even more of a confirmation over the weekend and that confirmation came from a high-ranking team employee: Packers president Mark Murphy. 

During a Q&A on the Packers' website, Murphy was asked about "Hard Knocks" and without being prompted -- he was asked about the Packers' chances of being on the show -- the Packers president brought up the Jets. 

"I'm anxious to see the Jets and the many ex-Packers on 'Hard Knocks' this summer -- should be very entertaining," Murphy said. 

The way that Murphy wrote that doesn't make it seem like he's guessing that it's going to be the Jets. It sounds like he KNOWS it's going to be the Jets. 

Of course, if it is the Jets, the show will likely score high television ratings in Green Bay due to all the Packers players now on New York's roster. Besides Aaron Rodgers, the Jets also have Adrian Amos, Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, Malik Taylor, Tim Boyle, Billy Turner and Adam Pankey. Not to mention, Jets offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett was previously in Green Bay for three years (2019-22). 

If the Jets are indeed the "Hard Knocks" team, that will end what has been a major headache for the NFL. The league has been in a quandary this offseason and that's mostly because no team has shown any interest in doing the show. Of the four teams eligible to be on the show -- the Saints, Jets, Bears and Commanders -- three of them have flat out said that they're not interested while the fourth one (Washington) is coached by a guy in Ron Rivera who said in 2021 that he would have no interest in doing the show after doing Amazon's "All or Nothing" while coaching the Panthers in 2018

In a twist, the Jets were trying NOT to do the show. Coach Robert Saleh had even made it clear in early June that he was adamantly against his team being selected. 

"I know there are several teams that would love 'Hard Knocks' to be in their building," Saleh said, via SI.com. "We're just not one of them."

If the Jets do end up being the team, it will mark their second time on the show, following a 2010 stint which is mostly remembered for Rex Ryan telling his team to go eat a "God d--- snack."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-president-may-have-just-accidentally-revealed-the-hard-knocks-team-for-2023/

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 1:17 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I see that it is the Jets that they picked.

They tend to pick the NFL teams that are struggling, and a precondition I belive is that the team did not make the post season the previous season. Long story short as much fun as it would be to watch Hard Knocks follow the Philadelphia Eagles that is not a condition that we really want as fans of the team.

• Like 1

I think this is available now, maybe I'll watch the first episode tonight. 

Honestly just want to see the Jets crash and burn hard. They're getting way too much hype for a team that has proven nothing.

Episode 2 was less thrilling. I am always curious about mentalists though.