#2 overall pick in 10 team PPR

eaglesfan0075

Have my draft coming up next week and found out I have the 2nd pick.  Still haunted by getting the #1 pick last year and taking Jonathan Taylor 😬

I've been torn in terms of which direction to go, whether to go with either the consensus WR1/RB1 in Justin Jefferson/Christian McCaffrey and take who is left, or open up to the possibility of Austin Ekeler or JaMarr Chase? As someone who has had Ekeler two years ago in the same league, I was quite lucky to get him in the 2nd round, as he was remarkably consistent and helped fuel a playoff run that year.

The holder of the #1 overall pick is a Cincinnati homer, and I wouldn't be shocked with a surprise pick of JaMarr Chase at #1 overall (but would still be very surprised). 

Thoughts? 

Take Justin Jefferson if he's there. After that... Splitting hairs, I guess I choose CMC over Ekeler, because his ceiling is just a little bit higher. Or take Chase. I'd be happy with any of those 4 players at the top of the draft.

• Like 3

Sorry you draft with lames in the first half of August 

• Haha 4

Really hate drafting this early for home leagues.  But to answer your question...JJ is No. 1 for me, Chase is No. 2.  If I pick at 1 or 2 in any (or all) of my drafts this year, I'll take one of those 2 guys every time.  

I like CMC but his injury potential scares me...though if I had the 3rd pick or thereafter, he'd be a consideration for sure.  Ekeler is going to take a step back in production this year...I will likely avoid drafting him in any scenario unless it's Round 2.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I like CMC but his injury potential scares me...

I believe it was bad luck more than anything, those back-to-back injury plagued seasons in 2020 and 2021. He just took some bad bumps. CMC played a full season last year and before 2020. I worry more that a healthy Elijah Mitchell will steal his touches. But Mitchell can't stay healthy.

• Like 3

We had our draft last weekend. I don't like drafting this early, but with vacations and everything, this was the one weekend we could make it work. I also had the #2 pick. Jefferson went first, so I took CMC. I was able to snag AJ Brown in the second round to be my WR1. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Gannan said:

We had our draft last weekend. I don't like drafting this early, but with vacations and everything, this was the one weekend we could make it work. I also had the #2 pick. Jefferson went first, so I took CMC. I was able to snag AJ Brown in the second round to be my WR1. 

This is where I'm leaning with my pick.

In the event Ja'Marr Chase ends up going #1 overall (Cincy homer bias?), I'll take Jefferson.

Otherwise I'm expecting to take McCaffrey there and pair him with a WR in Round 2. 

just drew the 2nd pick in my 12 team half ppr league...i hate the thoughts of drafting cmc after having him burn me last season. i'm really hoping the team drafted at 1 doesn't pick jefferson.

• Like 1

i was really hoping for a pick in the 5-7 range so i could draft kelce. he always kills me when i'm against him so it would be nice to have that weekly advantage at te for a change. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

i was really hoping for a pick in the 5-7 range so i could draft kelce. he always kills me when i'm against him so it would be nice to have that weekly advantage at te for a change. 

Take Kelce with the 2nd pick. :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toolg said:

Take Kelce with the 2nd pick. :ph34r:

:lol:  i've done a couple mocks taking him there & i kinda like how it turns out. i'm definitely considering it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

just drew the 2nd pick in my 12 team half ppr league...i hate the thoughts of drafting cmc after having him burn me last season. i'm really hoping the team drafted at 1 doesn't pick jefferson.

fwiw Jefferson burned me last year. A whopping 2 points in week 17 against Green Bay. He also had 4.8 in week 11 and 2.9 in week 3. I'd still take him #1 overall, but he does gut shut down by certain corners and double teams. 

59 minutes ago, Gannan said:

fwiw Jefferson burned me last year. A whopping 2 points in week 17 against Green Bay. He also had 4.8 in week 11 and 2.9 in week 3. I'd still take him #1 overall, but he does gut shut down by certain corners and double teams. 

DARIUS SLAY!!!! :worthy:

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 4:51 PM, Gannan said:

Jefferson ended up going 1st in my league as well. I took CMC with the 2nd pick.  

Outside of someone taking Mahomes with the 12th pick, not a lot of major surprises here in our draft in the first two rounds. 

In terms of WR, I ended up landing the last guy left on my top 10 WRs in Garrett Wilson.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Jefferson ended up going 1st in my league as well. I took CMC with the 2nd pick.  

Outside of someone taking Mahomes with the 12th pick, not a lot of major surprises here in our draft in the first two rounds. 

In terms of WR, I ended up landing the last guy left on my top 10 WRs in Garrett Wilson.

in almost every mock i've done, olave is the best wr available in the 2nd round (pick 23) when i go with cmc in the 1st. idk how i feel about having olave as my wr1. :meh:  

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

in almost every mock i've done, olave is the best wr available in the 2nd round (pick 23) when i go with cmc in the 1st. idk how i feel about having olave as my wr1. :meh:  

Big upside there. With your third pick you might try to pair him with Devonta Smith, Deebo Samuel... or even Amari Cooper or Jerry Jeudy. No slam dunk WRs in this part of the draft, but lots of young guys who could emerge WR1. 

5 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

That probably makes sense in a 12 team league.

For reference, I am in a 10 team league which is why I was able to land Wilson. This is how our first two rounds played out.

image.png.1f04157edab96b909b282d734c7ed43a.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 11:22 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

do you remember who went at 3 & 4?  just curious.

my $ league draft where i have the #2 pick is this weekend & i'm leaning toward chase right now. 

On 8/16/2023 at 4:30 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

That probably makes sense in a 12 team league.

For reference, I am in a 10 team league which is why I was able to land Wilson. This is how our first two rounds played out.

image.png.1f04157edab96b909b282d734c7ed43a.png

That's the combination I got with the first pick in my first money league draft for a 12 team league.  All three top QBs went before the 2-3 turn so it pushed both Wilson and CD Lamb down to me. 

I just found out I have the top pick in my other money league too.  I'm debating if I should switch it up and go WR first or stick to the same plan and go McCaffrey 1 and hope for at least 1 quality WR to fall to the turn.  Jefferson or Chase feel like safer picks at 1 but I think I like the quality of the WRs that could/should be there at the 2/3 turn better than the RBs I'd be looking at there if I go WR first.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:36 AM, mr_hunt said:

do you remember who went at 3 & 4?  just curious.

my $ league draft where i have the #2 pick is this weekend & i'm leaning toward chase right now. 

Yep. Ja'Marr Chase went #3 in my league followed by Bijan Robinson at #4. 

I feel like you can't go wrong with Chase though, he could even overtake JJ as WR#1 overall. Best of luck with your draft!

I somehow found myself in a grand total of 5 fantasy leagues this year and three of them draft tonight with the last one on Wednesday 😄. At least I already have one draft under my belt.

The most leagues I've been in a single year before this was 3, so this will be interesting. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 12:41 PM, Shepard Wong said:

That's the combination I got with the first pick in my first money league draft for a 12 team league.  All three top QBs went before the 2-3 turn so it pushed both Wilson and CD Lamb down to me. 

I just found out I have the top pick in my other money league too.  I'm debating if I should switch it up and go WR first or stick to the same plan and go McCaffrey 1 and hope for at least 1 quality WR to fall to the turn.  Jefferson or Chase feel like safer picks at 1 but I think I like the quality of the WRs that could/should be there at the 2/3 turn better than the RBs I'd be looking at there if I go WR first.

That was the thought process I also had when I was debating CMC vs Chase at #2.

I felt like I could snag one of my top 10 WRs by my 2nd round pick but when I made my list of top 10 RBs I realized I wouldn't be quite as satisfied with my 8th, 9th, 10th ranked options as they had too many question marks for someone I would potentially make my RB1.

Bijan is my one uncertainty (I don’t watch college football except for the Colorado Primes). Few rookies — even the elite or the elite - are top-10 performers, and almost none top-5. He’s going to a team with a great run attack last year so it seems weird they would just shelve guys who were dominant for them moving the ball. Bijan could be a timeshare at best all season, and also could have the same fumbles as anyone else, but it always seems like teams are quicker to a bench a rookie than a vet who would have coughed the ball up in the same scenario.