Eagles UDFA CB Eli Ricks Reveals Why He Signed With Philadelphia

time2rock

Eagles UDFA CB Eli Ricks Reveals Why He Signed With Philadelphia

Philadelphia Eagles undrafted cornerback Eli Ricks explained why he chose to sign with the team.

In this story:

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

The Philadelphia Eagles got a first glimpse of several rookies during their 20-19 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in their preseason opener at M&T Bank Stadium on Saturday night.

Among these rookies was undrafted cornerback Eli Ricks, who made an excellent initial impression with the Eagles. In his first game with the team, Ricks allowed only one catch for seven yards on four targets and had a 31-yard pick-six.

After the game, Ricks was asked why he chose to sign with Philadelphia and revealed that they were the first team to call him.

"Their history, good history, and they were the first team to call me," Ricks said

Once considered the 18th-best player in the nation upon his high school graduation, Ricks displayed his talents during his freshman year at LSU in 2020, securing four interceptions and returning two for touchdowns. His impressive freshman year earned him the distinction of being selected to the second-team All-SEC, and also began generating hype for himself as a potential first-round pick.

However, his sophomore season at LSU in 2021 was interrupted midway due to a shoulder injury. Following that season, he decided to transfer to Alabama. After grappling with injuries early in the 2022 season, he couldn't find his rhythm at Alabama, resulting in a decline in his draft stock from a potential first-round pick to going undrafted.

As the Eagles prepare to host the Cleveland Browns on Aug. 17, followed by another matchup at home against the Indianapolis Colts on Aug. 24, the remaining preseason games will hold significant importance for Ricks. These games will provide him the opportunity to demonstrate that he deserves a spot on the Eagles' 53-man roster if he can sustain the level of play he showcased on Saturday night.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/philadelphia-eagles-eli-ricks-preseason-game-training-camp-darius-slay-howie-roseman-roster-predictions

ESP seems to really like this guy. Not saying that means a great deal but he thinks he’s got a good chance to make the roster.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

ESP seems to really like this guy. Not saying that means a great deal but he thinks he’s got a good chance to make the roster.

I’d love for him, Jobe, Ringo, and Goodrich to stick around one way or another.  With Slay and Bradberry getting up there in age we need quality young DBs to develop … I think we have that in that group.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, time2rock said:

I’d love for him, Jobe, Ringo, and Goodrich to stick around one way or another.  With Slay and Bradberry getting up there in age we need quality young DBs to develop … I think we have that in that group.  

Completely agree! We need that young player to be a part of the roster and provide some consistency over a few years. And who knows maybe we will end up with more than one from this group.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Completely agree! We need that young player to be a part of the roster and provide some consistency over a few years. And who knows maybe we will end up with more than one from this group.

Jobe seems to have cemented his spot as the top backup outside corner.  McPhearson's unfortunate injury does present an opportunity for Goodrich (who has been taking snaps at nickel this summer).  Wonder what the plan is for Ricks ... perhaps he gets looks there too.  Hoping for something like this on final 53:

Slay / Bradberry / Maddox / Jobe / Ringo /  Goodrich or Ricks (Scott out)

• Like 1

Good to have the depth that the Birds do in the Secondary. Just need them to play up to their potential. 

I mean, yeesh, the SB winning Chiefs had what, 2 ROOKIES in their Secondary?? And beat us? With our weapons on O?? UGH.