NFL RUMORS: EAGLES, COLTS DISCUSSING TRADE FOR STAR RB JONATHAN TAYLOR

time2rock

NFL RUMORS: EAGLES, COLTS DISCUSSING TRADE FOR STAR RB JONATHAN TAYLOR

August 23, 2023
image.png.583d2bb36386cf258d0d1d9bb8862105.png

Eagles GM Howie Roseman is no stranger to taking big swings right before a new season gets underway.

Last year, the Eagles acquired Chauncey Gardner-Johnson just days before Week 1. This year, an All-Pro player could be headed to Philadelphia.

Per Evan Massey of NFLAnalysis.net, the Colts and Eagles are currently discussing a major blockbuster trade involving star running back Jonathan Taylor.

"According to a source, the Eagles have been among the most aggressive trade suitors for Taylor since he was allowed to search for a trade. They have been connected to quite a few running backs this offseason, but none that would make a bigger impact than Taylor.

At this point in time, the Eagles have D’Andre Swift and Kenneth Gainwell as their top two running backs. Both guys are quality playmakers, but neither is capable of being a workhorse. Taylor could easily come in and take the offense to the next level and be a workhorse.

Ideally, the Eagles could offer a second-round pick and Gainwell as a potential return. That would leave Swift in town to be a third-down and change of pace kind of back. A duo of Taylor and Swift would be extremely dangerous to support superstar quarterback Jalen Hurts.

Plenty of other teams have shown interest in acquiring Taylor as well. Among those teams are the Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Buffalo Bills are another team to keep a close eye on as well.

Taylor is entering the final year of his rookie contract and was granted permission to seek a trade following a three-week standoff. The Colts have shown no willingness to make a long-term offer to Taylor but are also seeking significant trade compensation for his services.

His new team must consider whether they’re willing to sign Taylor to the contract extension he seeks. The likelihood of that deal coming from Philly is slim. The Eagles have notoriously avoided paying running backs big money, and this offseason was no different.

Eagles RB salary in 2023:

• Boston Scott: $1.85M
  • D’Andre Swift: $1.77M
  • Rashaad Penny: $1.35M
  • Kenneth Gainwell: $940k

With the ink still drying on Jalen Hurts’ $255M contract, AJ Brown making $25M annually, and DeVonta Smith’s extension looming, I can’t see Roseman shelling out for the most devalued position in football.

Has Roseman inquired about the Colts’ asking price? Probably — the Eagles are coming off a narrow Super Bowl loss and are hungry to get back. The addition of Taylor behind Philly’s offensive line would solidify them as championship favorites.

Still just 24 years old, Taylor has rushed for 3,841 yards and 33 TDs in three seasons with the Colts. Taylor is the second-fastest player in team history to rush for 3,000 yards (33 games), only behind Edgerrin James (30 games).

The Colts are reportedly giving Taylor until Aug. 29 (roster cut-down day) to find a trade partner that will satisfy their demands in compensation.

https://thelibertyline.com/2023/08/23/eagles-trade-jonathan-taylor/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the ink still drying on Jalen Hurts’ $255M contract, AJ Brown making $25M annually, and DeVonta Smith’s extension looming, I can’t see Roseman shelling out for the most devalued position in football.

^^^^

This

• Like 2

There is virtually no chance the Eagles trade for Taylor.  No way they'd give up a day 1 or 2 pick AND shell out big money.  If he could be had for a day 3 pick and they were willing to sacrifice that for one year of Taylor, then maybe (good ole get-back-a-compensatory pick philosophy).

Football-wise, who wouldn't love to see Taylor on this team!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

There is virtually no chance the Eagles trade for Taylor.  No way they'd give up a day 1 or 2 pick AND shell out big money.  If he could be had for a day 3 pick and they were willing to sacrifice that for one year of Taylor, then maybe (good ole get-back-a-compensatory pick philosophy).

Football-wise, who wouldn't love to see Taylor on this team!

An offer of one year rental for a second day pick plus a 5th and Gainwell to get back a the comp pick to see if the guy has the sense to understand what running behind our OL to compete for a championship can do for his career is worth offering. If he still wants an extension now for big bucks, then he’s not worth having. 

I’m not sure I’d do a second plus Gainwell. I think Gainwell is a good player and he’s potentially the only long term RB we have on this roster.

I’d be down with Taylor for the right price but I think it’s fantasy.

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I’m not sure I’d do a second plus Gainwell. I think Gainwell is a good player and he’s potentially the only long term RB we have on this roster.

I’d be down with Taylor for the right price but I think it’s fantasy.

Even if you pulled Gainwell out of the equation I still wouldn't do it for "just" the 2nd.  With Hurts having just received a record contract, what we are paying Johnson, Slay, Brown, etc., and the need to give Smith a new deal in the near future, we need to use those high picks on players that will be more immediate contributors under control on cheaper (relatively speaking) rookie contracts.   

• Like 1

I doubt we will do it.

But to add a 24 year old proven star RB to this offense? No doubt Siriani had a lot to say about him too.. Makes a lot of sense to me. We are in total win now mode and he is young so if we ever deviate from the philosophy now is the time and he is the guy.

He could be the missing piece on offense and if we win the SB this year it would be worth it. Who cares about financials of the future. We got Roseman to cheat the system.

Still, I believe it when I see it.. 😄

• Like 1

Any rumors linking the Eagles to Taylor most likely originated with Taylor's agent to stimulate the market. 

• Like 1

I predict Taylor's going nowhere.  Howie likely called about Taylor, but he's probably just sniffing around and doing due diligence. 

If he wanted to spend big money on a running back, I suspect it would have been Miles.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, time2rock said:

Even if you pulled Gainwell out of the equation I still wouldn't do it for "just" the 2nd.  With Hurts having just received a record contract, what we are paying Johnson, Slay, Brown, etc., and the need to give Smith a new deal in the near future, we need to use those high picks on players that will be more immediate contributors under control on cheaper (relatively speaking) rookie contracts.   

Oh I agree sorry yeah I wouldn’t do it for a second. That’s a premium pick and whilst Taylor is a top player he’s a RB and as you rightly say we’d need to pay him.

• Like 1

A 4th and Gainwell makes me interested.

Anything more and Howie would be crazy to take on that rental.

If howie is really negotiating with the colts, he's trying to fleece them........there is zero pressure to improve the RB group and the eagles have other needs for that extra 2nd round pick.  Not to mention, he's not about to sign a RB to a $10 + million dollar contract.