Brock Bowers (TE, Georgia) -- DRAFTED BY LAS VEGAS #13

eggs

This thread had to be started as the Eagles love Georgia players and love TEs and tend to move on from starting TEs after age 30. Goedert will be 30 next November and is starting to show signs of wear and tear.  Also, we haven’t found an "up and coming” TE2 who could potential take over his starter role when he’s injured or starting to decline after trying for a couple years, despite the experiments. 

If Bowers slips out of the top 10-12 next year, maybe we consider using one of our second rounders to trade up and get him. He can learn behind Dallas for a year and maybe win us a SB with that great tandem and then we trade Dallas or let him go in free agency when he’s turning 31 or 32 and recoup that 2nd round pick. I was pushing very hard for us to trade Ertz a year or two earlier than we did when we could have had multiple early picks for him and he was clearly peaking and heading for injuries as NFL wisdom says TEs do after age 28. This seems like it could be deja vu. 

Food for thought and there is a whole college and pro season ahead and a draft day where this may not make sense at all if he goes in the top 10 plus we’ve found top 10 TEs in later rounds with Goeddert (2nd) Ertz (2nd) and Celek (5th) and we have great young WRs who can make a good TE look great so a mid round pick in the next year or two could be fine.  

• Like 1

Just for sake of being accurate, Goedert is 28 and hitting his prime right now I would say for the next 4 years. Kelce is 33 and still going strong. Goedert isn't going anywhere any time soon. I wouldn't draft tight end high for another couple years. Offensive line is probably the focus this coming year. And defensive end...

• Like 2

Best as a slot receiver(Dallas Clark)

Yes, I'd take him in a heart beat

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jojodancer said:

Just for sake of being accurate, Goedert is 28 and hitting his prime right now I would say for the next 4 years. Kelce is 33 and still going strong. Goedert isn't going anywhere any time soon. I wouldn't draft tight end high for another couple years. Offensive line is probably the focus this coming year. And defensive end...

We can probably say today there's a 90% chance their first pick is an OT or DE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jojodancer said:

For accuracy, Goeddert turns 29 in November and 30 next November, as stated in the original post. 

For further comparison, Ertz hasn’t made a pro bowl since 2019 (coincidentally the year he turned 29 as Goeddert is this year) and hasn’t had 600 yards receiving in a season since then and last year had fewer yards than his rookie season and has suffered multiple injuries). As I mentioned, NFL wisdom is TEs decline when they approach 30 due to all the hits they take so comparing a center to a TE is irrelevant. 

19 hours ago, eggs said:

This thread had to be started as the Eagles love Georgia players and love TEs and tend to move on from starting TEs after age 30. Goedert will be 30 next November and is starting to show signs of wear and tear.  Also, we haven’t found an "up and coming” TE2 who could potential take over his starter role when he’s injured or starting to decline after trying for a couple years, despite the experiments. 

If Bowers slips out of the top 10-12 next year, maybe we consider using one of our second rounders to trade up and get him. He can learn behind Dallas for a year and maybe win us a SB with that great tandem and then we trade Dallas or let him go in free agency when he’s turning 31 or 32 and recoup that 2nd round pick. I was pushing very hard for us to trade Ertz a year or two earlier than we did when we could have had multiple early picks for him and he was clearly peaking and heading for injuries as NFL wisdom says TEs do after age 28. This seems like it could be deja vu. 

Food for thought and there is a whole college and pro season ahead and a draft day where this may not make sense at all if he goes in the top 10 plus we’ve found top 10 TEs in later rounds with Goeddert (2nd) Ertz (2nd) and Celek (5th) and we have great young WRs who can make a good TE look great so a mid round pick in the next year or two could be fine.  

Ertz was an old, beat up 30 year old when he moved on with several pretty serious injuries on his rap sheet. They are not going to draft that high for a tight end. Ertz and Goedert are both 2nd rounders. They kept Celek and Chad Lewis well into their 30's. I think Goedert is a core guy here for at least 4 more years. Team prioritizes OL and DL and that's exactly where they will draft early and often this year. Yes, we can take a stab at a tight end on Day 3, for next couple of years and see if we can hit.

Anoher idea, is that tight end is the number 3 option in this offense and will be so for next few years. Too much of a luxury to draft a tight end that high, who most likely will be underused.

Bowers would not be a Goedert replacement anyways. He'd replace Quez. Just watch him place, he is not a true TE. More of a split out WR

So Goedert's age don't matter

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 11:11 AM, jojodancer said:

I wouldn’t draft any other TE high, but Bowers is different. He could easily "start” as the slot receiver and would be an absolute nightmare in that role, especially considering our run game.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:35 AM, pgcd3 said:

We can probably say today there's a 90% chance their first pick is an OT or DE.

Obviously the eagles love linemen, and we have potential needs considering the age of Kelce, Johnson, Graham and Cox.

But on the other hand, we already have Kelce’s replacement, Johnson has a few more years left in him, Graham is a backup at this point, and we have 4 good young DTs to take over for Cox.

I think a slot receiver is absolutely a possibility this coming draft, and if we somehow were in a position to get Bowers, I think Howie would jump at the opportunity. Bowers is a special player, and is a TE/WR tweener in a good way. You stick Bowers in the slot and our 3rd down conversion rate could be historic. And then think what having a 240 pound slot receiver would do for the run game.

That’s an offense that could be record setting.

On 9/1/2023 at 7:06 PM, eggs said:

What if, Albert O. lives up to his potential?

He will be qualified to enter FA. Do we sign him to anew contract? Do we draft a replacement in the first 2 rounds of the draft?

Let's see how this plays out first.

No

1st round picks on TEs are worse than 1st round picks on RBs. ESPECIALLY for how high you’ll have to be to have a chance at him. Let the Lions or the Raiders do it

• Like 1

Agree wholeheartedly. I can't envision investing multiple draft picks to move up and invest a $25M contract for what would basically amount to a #4 receiver.

To best utilize his talents and receive full value, we would need to field a "12" formation, full-time.

Then again, on second thought, that might not be such a bad strategy...it might initiate a new offensive philoosophy throughout the NFL.

If indeed TE becomes a priority, TE JA’TAVION SANDERS, TEXAS might be available w/o moving up into the top 10 picks.

Bowers is a Top 10 talent in 2024.

1 in 5 chance Eagles look in that direction 

Top OT prospect to take over for Johnson in 2025 is more likely 

DE is going to be a big need. BG and Barnett are on expiring contracts, if both leave the depth at the position is thin past Josh Sweat.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Travis Kelce was a 3rd rounder, Antonio Gates didn't play football in college and was undrafted, Eric Ebron was a top 10 pick. If you were to rank those players 1-3, Who you place 1 and 2 in that list is a debate, but there's no doubt who's number 3.

Here's a list of 1st Round tight Ends since 2010

Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert, Eric Ebron, OJ Howard, Evan Engram, David Njoku, Hayden Hurst, TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant, Kyle Pitts, Dalton Kincaid.  How many of those players were a level above their peers? How many would you swap for Goedert straight up (if they were at the same stage of their careers) ?

Tight end just isn't worth the risk of a first round pick, let alone top ten. 99 times out of 100 you come out with a solid but unspectacular guy you would've picked up in the later rounds if you were redrafting with hindsight.

• 5 months later...

12 personnel 

This is a luxury we just can't afford....

• Like 1

Kellen Moore loves 12 personnel.  The Eagles don’t have a second TE or good slot WR.  Bowers would fill both roles.  Eagles could have a frightening offense to defend if they could add Bowers.

17 hours ago, Knik Eagle said:

Kellen Moore loves 12 personnel.  The Eagles don’t have a second TE or good slot WR.  Bowers would fill both roles.  Eagles could have a frightening offense to defend if they could add Bowers.

I’m far from saying he is the answer but Albert O had a big preseason for the broncos last year I have to think they see something in him. They aren’t spending the resources it would take to make this pick. I’ve heard him linked to multiple teams and just about every mock has him in the top 10 no way he is falling to 22