Chromecast (now what?)

wholesale_Melvin

Ok bought 3rd gen Chromecast over the weekend to free up HDMI port on TV, set it up and I am comfortable using it (still can't get it to display my photo albums from Google drive but...meh) so the question for Chromecast users... Now what? Is there anything besides just casting whatever from phones/tablets? Any apps that you can suggest, advice on what you like ?

All I use it for is casting personally. I’ve never tried it for other things. 

going to give Hulu Live a shot (in preparation of a possible NFL season) tonight. 

trying out hulu live and came across the grammy's prince tribute concert. what a POS. limp, uninspired renditions, with 1 minute versions of Prince's songs, mostly pressed into a one verse melody format sung by artists I've never even heard of. you know it was 'safe for cbs' when maya ruldolph sang a cover of delirious.

something called gary clark jr (surprisingly NOT a C&W singer) half-heartedly sang let's go crazy, a song that should be played at a barely controlled, manic pace

mavis staples looked lost half the time during purple rain

phillip glass STILL hits those notes for adore

morris, morris, morris, stop.

shiela e not playing a love bizarre . 😞

I have a Chromecast on my office TV.  I just use TV streaming apps and Pandora on it.  Previously I've cast Google Photos without a problem.  Check out their support site perhaps?

On 7/6/2020 at 2:01 PM, wholesale_Melvin said:

going to give Hulu Live a shot (in preparation of a possible NFL season) tonight. 

I use Fubo, along with the Windscribe VPN, I can get Philly Locals (most of the time, sometimes it thinks I'm in some other city even though I'm using the Philly server). Good thing about it though, I can jump around (on the VPN) and get those cities locals. So I can basically watch any NFL game that I want.

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I use Fubo, along with the Windscribe VPN, I can get Philly Locals (most of the time, sometimes it thinks I'm in some other city even though I'm using the Philly server). Good thing about it though, I can jump around (on the VPN) and get those cities locals. So I can basically watch any NFL game that I want.

and that is one of the reasons I'm getting Chromecast is to get the VPN during the NFL season. I'll be hitting you up for information later this summer if there is a season.

10 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

and that is one of the reasons I'm getting Chromecast is to get the VPN during the NFL season. I'll be hitting you up for information later this summer if there is a season.

I'm not familiar with Chromecast, so before you buy it, you should research whether it can connect through a VPN. I can do it with my Roku Streaming Stick, but I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it work.

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm not familiar with Chromecast, so before you buy it, you should research whether it can connect through a VPN. I can do it with my Roku Streaming Stick, but I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it work.

Whoops, I used the wrong tense. Already have it.

4 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

Whoops, I used the wrong tense. Already have it.

Hopefully you'll be able to connect it to a VPN, if not then a 'mobile hotspot' would be the way to go. I've done that for my Roku, but of course, it's always a hassle trying to re-learn it after I haven't done it in 6 months lol. 

For me, I use my laptop when I do it. I use not only my laptops built in WiFi, but also a USB WiFi adapter (which works to transmit the VPN's connection). 

• Thanks 1