Biggest question from Bucs game: why put Gainwell in 4th and short instead of Penny?

opa-opa

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Three Carrie’s in the regular season when they had only two backs both who happen to be known as injury prone. Yeah they really love that guy. So is 3 yards a carry the same as 5.7 to you? 

They went with the best player that day. Swift clearly was the spark on offense and carried an otherwise struggling offense. But that doesn't change that in week 1, Swift averaged 3 yards per carry --- as if that matters at all now.  If you want to hold on to a 1-game, 3-play sample, to gripe, ****, moan, whine, cry, etc... Don't let me stop you.

Last week, Zaccheaus' first target hit him in the face mask in the endzone on a 3rd down where the next play we failed to convert and turned the ball over on downs. We can judge him on that play or we can look at his next two targets that significantly contributed to the win. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:16 PM, opa-opa said:

2 times they put Gainwell in on 4th and short.

Both times he failed.

Sorry, but I thought that's why we got Rashard Penny? What are we paying him for exactly?

Remember in the preseason when Gainwell couldn’t even break one tackle and got stopped for a safety also? You can’t sell me on this "they’re happy with Penny” garbage when they’ve times when they absolutely could have used him and they didn’t. It’s certain not because the other options (other than Hurts and the sneaks) are so much better than he is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

They went with the best player that day. Swift clearly was the spark on offense and carried an otherwise struggling offense. But that doesn't change that in week 1, Swift averaged 3 yards per carry --- as if that matters at all now.  If you want to hold on to a 1-game, 3-play sample, to gripe, ****, moan, whine, cry, etc... Don't let me stop you.

Last week, Zaccheaus' first target hit him in the face mask in the endzone on a 3rd down where the next play we failed to convert and turned the ball over on downs. We can judge him on that play or we can look at his next two targets that significantly contributed to the win. 

Nonsensical answer they went with the best player. How do you really know what Penny is after three carries in the 4th just to spell Swift cause he’s winded? Before Scott was injured he got five carries so it was obvious they were planning to use him more than that. Penny got zero carries the following week. Why is that if they’re so confident in him like you assume? Oh and I’m glad your brought up Swift and his one carry in game one. They followed up with 28 next week. Yeah just like they did with Penny… Oh wait they didn’t even try to run him. 😂🤣😂

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nonsensical answer they went with the best player. How do you really know what Penny is after three carries in the 4th just to spell Swift cause he’s winded? Before Scott was injured he got five carries so it was obvious they were planning to use him more than that. Penny got zero carries the following week. Why is that if they’re so confident in him like you assume? Oh and I’m glad your brought up Swift and his one carry in game one. They followed up with 28 next week. Yeah just like they did with Penny… Oh wait they didn’t even try to run him. 😂🤣😂

This team kept 7 DTs, 7 CBs, 4 TEs and Penny on the 53 man roster I guess because he stinks... I guess

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

This team kept 7 DTs, 7 CBs, 4 TEs and Penny on the 53 man roster I guess because he stinks... I guess

YET THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS WHY AREN’T THEY USING HIM AND NOT ABOUT IF BRKMSN CARES ABOUT IT. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Penny is not a zone read kind of back, he is more of a traditional back.  Takes him a step or two to get going, but when he does he is a load.  Line him up behind the quarterback in an I formation.  Get him running down hill.  He will be tough to stop in short yardage situations.

On 10/1/2023 at 10:40 AM, crazyeagle said:

Penny is not a zone read kind of back, he is more of a traditional back.  Takes him a step or two to get going, but when he does he is a load.  Line him up behind the quarterback in an I formation.  Get him running down hill.  He will be tough to stop in short yardage situations.

Then he was a bad signing similarly "but not nearly as costing” as the Demarco Murray signing. At the time I guess they needed something so they went with him. They also jumped at the chance to get Swift as well, because they knew Penny wasn’t the best option.

Back to the title of this thread: This is the BIGGEST question you had at the end of the game?

On 10/1/2023 at 5:16 AM, Infam said:

I think that he‘s poor in pass protection. If you can‘t block, you don‘t get to run it for us. 

It could be something along these lines - there’s a reason the team isn’t high on him at this point.