Thoughts on late TD pass?

GroundAttack

Given the amount of time left, it's stupid. You give them a chance to win and force the defense to have to come back out. What if someone got injured on Washingtons last drive?

Questionable call.....but we'd all like to think that the eagles defense would have stepped up and stopped them.....but considering how good Howell was playing, I think I would have continued to run the ball, the clock and let Elliot do his thing.

I can’t call the td pass a dumb call. But I will say it wasn’t my preferred choice of play calls. As soon as hurts stepped back to throw, I questioned it. After the td, I knew we left too much time in the clock. 

I can’t kill Brian Johnson for dialing up a td, tho. 

however…. Sean desai and the defense needs to get their heads out of their asses. That’s the bigger problem. Josh jobe is not an nfl cb right now. Teams target him for easy first downs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

however…. Sean desai and the defense needs to get their heads out of their asses. That’s the bigger problem. Josh jobe is not an nfl cb right now. Teams target him for easy first downs. 

The call to go for a TD can be questioned but ultimately you want points on the board. If the defense didn’t completely ish the bed then this isn’t really even a debate.

5 hours ago, Swoop said:

Given the amount of time left, it's stupid. You give them a chance to win and force the defense to have to come back out. What if someone got injured on Washingtons last drive?

Well we lost Covey in OT. There's no certainty in playing it conservative though. They did that the drive prior to and the results weren't desirable. Notice they took the kill shot again in OT albeit the communication was off. I can't be upset about that when they're still working through some things. Still got the W so we're good.

I hate playing for a FG in a tie game. There are no guarantees. If the offense can score a TD, score a TD. In this particular situation, the commanders hadn't put together a non-time-consuming drive and I felt it was highly unlikely they would manage a score in the allotted time. That taunting penalty proved to be just enough to make a difference. Even after the penalty was enforced I didn't think they'd be able to get down the field and score a TD against our defense. 

I'd do the same thing again minus the taunt. 

On 10/1/2023 at 9:43 PM, wrestlevessel said:

I thought it was foolish. My brother went down the Jersey Shore to chill and I was texting with him. I told him Eagles were idiots and scored a touchdown when they could have run out the clock and kicked a game winning field goal. I actually told him I bet the Skins get a TD and was wondering if River Boat would win it going for 2. Of course my prediction was right and Skins scored on the final play of the game. Thank goodness he only went for 1 and our kicker saved us in overtime. 

I thought it was foolish, and that's putting it nicely.

I believe they were already in FG range with a 2nd and 4, one first down and shorter FG = a win with no OT.  

3 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I thought it was foolish, and that's putting it nicely.

I believe they were already in FG range with a 2nd and 4, one first down and shorter FG = a win with no OT.  

Or a fumble happens and you’re all crying "why didn’t they go for the touchdown?” 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Or a fumble happens and you’re all crying "why didn’t they go for the touchdown?” 

Or since so many want to cry about the refs always screwing the eagles over all the time, what if they get a penalty taking them out of field goal range? Since when is this fan base content with just field goals? Lol

Some people are just looking for reasons to say "I told you so" when it comes to hurts or sirianni and their decision making. 

Bottom line is none of those things happened and they won. All these fictitious scenarios are a waste of time 

• Like 2

I felt the playcalling in most of the 4th quarter was horrible. Way too much passing & they almost pissed away the game by bonehead play calling

Take the points. There's no guarantee you can run and kill the clock because you aren't promised first downs. There's also no guarantee you don't turn the ball over by running every play.  The offense scored the go ahead TD, so it was on the defense to get a stop, or hold Washington to no more than a FG.

• Like 2

Imagine if Rivera went for 2. In all honesty, I thought it was over bc he would. If he did and converted..... ohhhh boy the chaos.

I don't know who made the call, but it was wrong. You Bleed the clock and kick the FG. If Jake missed, still going to OT. Some fans will say but they know a run was coming... they knew a run was coming on 1st and we still picked up 6. It was dumb and they will not admit it. Also AJ needs to be smarter.

3 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Imagine if Rivera went for 2. In all honesty, I thought it was over bc he would. If he did and converted..... ohhhh boy the chaos.

I don't know who made the call, but it was wrong. You Bleed the clock and kick the FG. If Jake missed, still going to OT. Some fans will say but they know a run was coming... they knew a run was coming on 1st and we still picked up 6. It was dumb and they will not admit it. Also AJ needs to be smarter.

Playing all of these whatifs after a victory. I'll play we'll assume that Elliot would make the FG, no penalties, bad snaps, bad holds. If the Eagles get stuffed on the 2nd and 3rd down plays which typically happens because teams overload for the run in these scenarios which is why AJ was 1 on 1, Washington would have still had over a minute left. (They had 1 time out when AJ caught the ball on a 2nd and 4 play with 1:44 on the clock). They could have damn well marched down to not only tie but even win the damn game. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Or since so many want to cry about the refs always screwing the eagles over all the time, what if they get a penalty taking them out of field goal range? Since when is this fan base content with just field goals? Lol

Some people are just looking for reasons to say "I told you so" when it comes to hurts or sirianni and their decision making. 

Bottom line is none of those things happened and they won. All these fictitious scenarios are a waste of time 

I think you and EazyEaglez are the same person.

Just now, Talonblood said:

I would have run the clock down more.

They had a timeout. You're only running it down to a little over a minute if they don't get a first down.

• Like 1

Just now, judunno said:

They had a timeout. You're only running it down to a little over a minute if they don't get a first down.

2 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Redskins easily march down to FG range with some possible shots for a TD.

I know I know.

"I would have run the clock down more"

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

Redskins easily march down to FG range with some possible shots for a TD.

I know I know.

"I would have run the clock down more"

You're catching on. The TD was nice, though.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

I think you and EazyEaglez are the same person.

You really need to limit yourself to just a couple conspiracies. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

That would be ideal but he decided long ago that he's going to believe...

Everyone GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

He didn't deny it so I think I'm on the right track.

15 hours ago, MF POON said:

Take the points. There's no guarantee you can run and kill the clock because you aren't promised first downs. There's also no guarantee you don't turn the ball over by running every play.  The offense scored the go ahead TD, so it was on the defense to get a stop, or hold Washington to no more than a FG.

Swift was open, could have had first down right there. Britain Covey in concussion protocol.

21 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Never have I’ve seen so many people upset the Eagles scored seven and not three and blaming the offense when the defense let Sam Howell throw for 290 against them. On top of that they won the darn game. What are they all crying about again? 

• Like 2