I’ll never understand why some people didn’t see Foles as the franchise quarterback

NickFoles4Lyfe

what matters most is do you win with the quarterback…. OK, his first season they were 1-5 with him. But that’s a rookie thing.. after that, he won 20 games as the Eagles starter and only lost 6.  You’re telling me that someone who is going to give you results like that should not have been the franchise qb? when he plays for other teams, it’s true he’s not great, but for some reason in an Eagles uniform, he really is clutch, an amazing leader in the locker room, and we saw the difference between him and Wentz. One is stuck on his ego and alienates his teammates. And one inspires them to play better. I realize it’s a moot point now because they have Hurts, but I just think it’s a shame that Nick never got the chance to be the leader for this team for many seasons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Eagles are undefeated through September, looking to make a Super Bowl run, and you want to talk about a former player that hasn't been on the roster in 5 years? No disrespect but why now?

22 minutes ago, NickFoles4Lyfe said:

I realize it’s a moot point now because they have Hurts

Exactly.

• Like 3

because I was making these arguments five years ago, and it seems like the opinions of other people were overwhelmingly against mine. I just don’t understand their logic. It’s just I thought the whole idea was Foles was going to take over for Vick. even when they had Wentz, I still thought Foles was the better quarterback and team leader. I was clearly in the minority position.

It didn’t help that Foles was incapable of staying healthy. The first go around Reid was fired, and Chip Kelly”s ego couldn’t handle it so he traded him. The next go around it was Wentz. Simple as that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NickFoles4Lyfe said:

because I was making these arguments five years ago, and it seems like the opinions of other people were overwhelmingly against mine. I just don’t understand their logic. It’s just I thought the whole idea was Foles was going to take over for Vick. even when they had Wentz, I still thought Foles was the better quarterback and team leader. I was clearly in the minority position.

Where you on the original board?

2 hours ago, NickFoles4Lyfe said:

I realize it’s a moot point

Don't you mean that it's a moo point? 

• Haha 5

He was streaky, and we were lucky in 2017 that Streaky Foles decided to show up in the NFCCG and SB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

He was streaky, and we were lucky in 2017 that Streaky Foles decided to show up in the NFCCG and SB. 

Yup, the two Nicks. Back peddling Nick was not a franchise QB

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

well, the fact remains that only one man has led the team to a Super Bowl. Maybe that’ll change this year. But so far he’s the guy. Also, I think that was a particularly special year. The magic won’t quite be equal to it.

Because ultimately he wasn’t good enough. It was a great story but he just wasn’t good enough to do it as the starter, as the franchise QB. 

8 minutes ago, NickFoles4Lyfe said:

well, the fact remains that only one man has led the team to a Super Bowl.

You mean a Super Bowl win. Jaws, McNabb and Hurts have also led the team to Super Bowls. 

In hindsight though, I wish we'd kept Nick and traded Wentz. I can't say that I was of that mind back then, but I was on the fence. I was still holding onto the pre-ACL/Pre-Saint Nick Wentz, though. I believed that he'd get back to 2017 form and didn't think that he was so emotionally fragile that "Saint Nick Syndrome" would destroy his career. 

Yes.. A win of course.

I never liked Wentz’s attitude. He always struck me as kind of a selfish player who was more concerned about himself.. of course, this whole disaster of a situation only started because the so-called genius Chip Kelly got rid of him to begin with. and then we were lucky enough to get him back, we saw what he could do …. and got rid of him again…

so 31 other teams had their chance, and not one could get him to be the starter for more than a handful of games.

If you can explain that one, it would be great.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Vee said:

so 31 other teams had their chance, and not one could get him to be the starter for more than a handful of games.

If you can explain that one, it would be great.

I desperately wanted Foles to be the guy and I’m forever grateful to him for our Super Bowl.

But he couldn’t stay healthy and only performed for streaks when he had a very good to elite offense around him. He was downright awful when he didn’t have a good team around him.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I desperately wanted Foles to be the guy and I’m forever grateful to him for our Super Bowl.

But he couldn’t stay healthy and only performed for streaks when he had a very good to elite offense around him. He was downright awful when he didn’t have a good team around him.

Isn't that true of most QBs though? The guy was streaky, there's no denying that.

3 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Isn't that true of most QBs though? The guy was streaky, there's no denying that.

To a degree, but most very good to elite QBs are able to elevate the team around them. When Foles didn’t have a good offense around him, he was outperformed by some very mediocre journeyman quarterbacks. When he did, he could never sustain it for a full season, whether due to injury or performance.

I’m a Foles fan and I was rooting for him, even when he left the Eagles. But the reality is that he was a high end backup/border line starter.

• Like 1

For comparisons sake, which only includes their days in an Eagles uniform.

Wentz as an Eagle:

WentzStats.png

Foles as an Eagle:

FolesStats.png

For Eagles QB's who've started a minimum of 16 games, Foles is 10th in total passing yards, but has the highest Passer Rating in franchise history, is tied for first place in completion percentage (tied with Hurts), is 2nd in INT percentage (second to Bubby) and will forever be 1st in our hearts for what he did in the 2017 post-season.

He'll eventually retire in Kelly/Midnight Green. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, judunno said:

We must be doing too much winning if there's a new Foles thread.... really lol.

My thoughts too. In the middle of the season and we have threads about old sheet 

The only stat that matters is do you win with someone as your QB. Why would anything else matter? Seriously.. Take away his first season of starting at 1-5 and he's 20-6! That's phenomenal. Could that be maintained? I don't know.. but now we'll never know.

And it's one of those inexplicable things... Foles was great starting for the Eagles. Not for other teams. Why? I don't know.... But Chippy should've never ditched him.

And yeah, I just wonder what could've been if he stayed. He hasn't retired yet, so I wish they'd at least offer him a chance to compete to be on the roster if he wanted to.

We'll never know how good Carson Strong would have been either because we inexplicably didn't let him play in the preseason last year. Oh well ...

I think it wasn’t meant to be for Foles as a franchise qb….but….I also think it was really foolish to bail on Foles for Bradford after just one banged up year in 2014.  Chip made zero effort to stick with him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I think it wasn’t meant to be for Foles as a franchise qb….but….I also think it was really foolish to bail on Foles for Bradford after just one banged up year in 2014.  Chip made zero effort to stick with him.

It was definitely a mistake to trade him for Bradford, but if I could go back in time and change that and stop it from happening, I wouldn't. Why? Because of our 2017 LII story. Him coming back and leading us through the end of the season and into the post season on his way to Super Bowl glory after having been traded like that, was pure and solid gold. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It didn’t help that Foles was incapable of staying healthy. The first go around Reid was fired, and Chip Kelly”s ego couldn’t handle it so he traded him. The next go around it was Wentz. Simple as that. 

And I never would have taken Foles in the first place.  I would have taken Kirk Cousins with that pick because he had already shown at Michigan State how good he was.