There's only one way for the Eagles to handle DeSean Jackson

UK_EaglesFan89

There's only one way for the Eagles to handle DeSean Jackson

I do believe that DeSean Jackson’s social media posts came from a place of ignorance and not a place of hate. 

And that is important to remember.

But it doesn’t excuse what he did.

I’ve been to Auschwitz and Dachau, two of Hitler’s most notorious concentration camps. I’ve seen the horror that Hitler brought to the world. I’ve seen the shoes worn by thousands of the 7 million men, women and children murdered by the NSDAPs just for being Jewish. And I understand DeSean hasn’t experienced that.

But that’s no excuse. 

There is no excuse for anybody to post comments so filled with hate toward any group of people. 

There is no excuse for quoting comments attributed to Hitler.

We’re living in an age where we’re all trying to understand each other just a little bit more and understand our differences and break down the walls of bigotry and hatred.

And there’s simply no place on a football team for this kind of voice.

And I’ll be honest, DeSean’s "apology” showed a profound lack of understanding for why people are offended. It wasn’t an apology at all.  

"My thoughts were definitely not intended for anybody for any race to feel any type of way.”

OK … then explain exactly how they were intended? What were you trying to get across? Why did you post them? 

"When I posted what I posted I definitely didn’t mean it to the extent that you guys took it.”

Think about that for a second. The extent that you guys took it? Just exactly what extent were you hoping to offend people, DeSean? He’s essentially saying we’re all over-reacting to him posting social media messages quoting Hitler and avowed anti-semite and homophobe Louis Farrakhan? He’s saying we somehow misunderstood?

I don’t see a shred of genuine remorse in this "apology” and I don’t see any sign that he even remotely understands why he offended so many people in the first place or why his own boss called his actions "absolutely appalling.”

This is a half-hearted apology issued to appease his bosses in hopes that he won’t get suspended or cut. It comes across as an apology made because he was told to apologize.

About a month ago, DeSean spoke in an interview with NBC Sports Philadelphia’s John Clark about how proud he was of Carson Wentz and Zach Ertz for speaking out against racism and social injustice.

He spoke about how important it was for them to speak out even though they didn’t grow up in the inner city and don’t know what it’s like to be racially profiled.

DeSean needs to have that same sense of understanding of other cultures and other religions and other people that he saw in his teammates.

I’ve always loved watching DeSean play football, and I loved when the Eagles brought him back last year to finish his career where it started.  

But now? It’s clear the Eagles have to take some sort of strong action.

Does that mean a one-game suspension? A four-game suspension? Does that mean cut him and never let him back in the Linc and ban him from the Eagles Hall of Fame?

Honestly, I don’t know. 

But he simply can’t be allowed to put on an Eagles uniform again until he displays a true understanding of why his posts were so incredibly hateful and harmful. Not just to Jews but to all human beings who believe in equality, inclusion and diversity.

I don’t know if that will ever happen. I hope it does.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/desean-jackson-quotes-hitler-farrakhan-apology-instagram

I can't wait for cancel culture to pass. This notion that somebody made a mistake (and we're not talking about breaking a law here), now they must pay --- is getting tiresome. If a person offends someone and that person realizes it, then an apology is appropriate. Acting like there has to be more is getting old.

• Like 2

What he said was sort screwed up and I am sure he didn't mean it that way, but at the same time the media and society is turning everyone into a big P.  Someone out there will always have their feelings hurt in this day and age.

Everyone should be equal and it's a simple common sense statement. I am certain there is some conspiracy/political agenda/money grabbing schemes with black lives matter, gay, bisexual, lgtbq and so on and so forth.

Having something simple like being decent to each other and being brought up with morals and respect is a concept that doesnt exist.

• Like 1

I really don't get how people (not just these spoiled Diva-like athletes but common folk like us) just don't realize as they are about to post something on social media the backlash that will be coming in response when the stuff they post is obviously highly contentious.  Some people just lack the ability to think.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I really don't get how people (not just these spoiled Diva-like athletes but common folk like us) just don't realize as they are about to post something on social media the backlash that will be coming in response when the stuff they post is obviously highly contentious.  Some people just lack the ability to think.  

Especially when someone who has a million social media followers does, like Desean.  One thing that bugs the crap out of me is when celebrities post crap on social media that is their own opinion, yet people take it as gospel.  Celebrities' opinions don't matter any more or less than the homeless guy on the street.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, time2rock said:

6 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Especially when someone who has a million social media followers does, like Desean.  One thing that bugs the crap out of me is when celebrities post crap on social media that is their own opinion, yet people take it as gospel.  Celebrities' opinions don't matter any more or less than the homeless guy on the street.  

I think it's because society/media made it acceptable to worship celebrities/athletes and to make us strive toward that way of life. I said it somewhere else here but it's like a crappier version of hunger games (poor factions trying to survive where rich and fancy people create all of the rules and do what they want. It is NO different than how the USA is running/ has been running. I could also be a nut and just hate politicians and congress and want to erase them all. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wormlegs said:

I think it's because society/media made it acceptable to worship celebrities/athletes and to make us strive toward that way of life. I said it somewhere else here but it's like a crappier version of hunger games (poor factions trying to survive where rich and fancy people create all of the rules and do what they want. It is NO different than how the USA is running/ has been running. I could also be a nut and just hate politicians and congress and want to erase them all. 🙂

I see the same nonsense with posts on FB (from us common people).  I think "oooh boy I’d never post that ... he’s gonna get slammed for posting that”.  People just can’t seem to help themselves.  

25 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I see the same nonsense with posts on FB (from us common people).  I think "oooh boy I’d never post that ... he’s gonna get slammed for posting that”.  People just can’t seem to help themselves.  

I guess some people don't have that filter? For example I can give a very recent situation where I myself applied a filter before posting and actually what I wanted to post wasn't that offensive. 

In the UK we have this terrible, and i think somewhat offensive programme, called loose women. The very concept and content of the show to me is completely sexist. Now one of their topics today was "is sexism still an issue today" and they were talking about how it is and it's so unfair on women. I'm sorry what now? A show for women, presented by women and you're raising issues of sexism. They were talking about how female comedies get a rough ride just because they are female. No it's because a lot of female comedians aren't funny whatsoever. They were saying how some shows will never have an all female panel. Well no because the answer to resolving years of sexism is not to go the other way completely. 

Anyway I didn't post anything on social media as I knew there would be some kind of backlash.

One way to handle it all- Ban all social media use from all players, coaches, staff, owners. 

Well, the gave him the Riley Cooper treatment. Fines and education.

I think all of this is BS. What Jackson did isn't a crime and sports teams aren't the thought police.

Jackson didn't make his comments in the workplace and his employer really shouldn't have the right to censure him.

Sure Jackson offended the vast majority of people including me, but defending and allowing even the most outrageous ideas is part of the whole notion of "free speech". 

When the mob gets to decide what thoughts and words are alright to use we all better worry that our own viewpoints are next.