Justin Simmons (S, Broncos) - Released

Cochis_Calhoun

Seeing as Safeties on fire sale teams seem to be the fashionable choices, I think Simmons is a decent candidate, he's 30 so he won't cost the farm and he's a top end safety who can upgrade us while we're in our window and also help the development of Brown and Blankenship.

I reckon they could get him for a 3rd,  the lower of the seconds tops.

50 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Seeing as Safeties on fire sale teams seem to be the fashionable choices, I think Simmons is a decent candidate, he's 30 so he won't cost the farm and he's a top end safety who can upgrade us while we're in our window and also help the development of Brown and Blankenship.

I reckon they could get him for a 3rd,  the lower of the seconds tops.

a third for a 30 year old safety?

5 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

a third for a 30 year old safety?

He's been second team all pro for 3 of the last 4 years and led the league in interceptions last year, he's basically the Bronco's entire secondary, they're not letting him go for peanuts.

We drafted Sydney Brown at the top of the 3rd this year and didn't start him even before he got injured, so who are we drafting at Simmons level with a compensation pick 3rd?

I’d prefer a FS-type (Simmons) rather than Chinn and Peppers as it would give us the flexibility to mix in more C1, etc.

• Like 1

Just add talent to this secondary. We need to fix the offense and add to the secondary if we want any hope of a deep play off run.

• 4 months later...

Knows the system and could give us a year or two of solid play to develop someone I would be interested 

• Like 2

Now there's no need to give up draft compensation for Justin Simmons. Make it happen Howie!

• Like 2

Let's go

This is the right Simmons and this is the one I want! Still got to get something like this done despite signing CJGJ.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is the right Simmons and this is the one I want! Still got to get something like this done despite signing CJGJ.

Highly doubtful we add a 2nd S in free agency.  

I also have zero interest in adding another 30+ year old player to the secondary (regardless of how well he might be playing now).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I also have zero interest in adding another 30+ year old player to the secondary (regardless of how well he might be playing now).

Agreed but depends on price. Probably won’t come cheap.

If we do sign a 2nd safety, gimme Jordan Fuller, Julian Blackmon or Kamren Curl if price is right…

49 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I’d be good with adding Simmons because we’ve added CJGJ to a 3 year deal.

CGJ could me used more as a NB and we still would be running a 3 safety set.

3 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed but depends on price. Probably won’t come cheap.

If we do sign a 2nd safety, gimme Jordan Fuller, Julian Blackmon or Kamren Curl if price is right…

I like Blackmon surprised he is still around.. I also like Chinn as a safety/lb 

1 hour ago, Cheesteakitis said:

I like Blackmon surprised he is still around.. I also like Chinn as a safety/lb 

Chinn signed with Washington.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Chinn signed with Washington.

Dam

Seems like they're out on him. Asking for to much money?

8 hours ago, Godfather said:

Seems like they're out on him. Asking for to much money?

Possibly… But he is a really good Safety so I kind of get why he wants a lot of money.

Apparently they're still interested in him

8 hours ago, Godfather said:

Apparently they're still interested in him

I bet they do but his asking price has to come way down.

Rumor has it he’s asking for 14-15 million annually. You don’t give an almost 31 year old safety that kind of money.

He’ll either come to the conclusion the market simply isn’t there now and take the best offer or he’ll wait it out until after the draft or even into training camp (hoping a starting safety gets injured) to sign somewhere.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 2:48 AM, Ray75 said:

I bet they do but his asking price has to come way down.

Rumor has it he’s asking for 14-15 million annually. You don’t give an almost 31 year old safety that kind of money.

He’ll either come to the conclusion the market simply isn’t there now and take the best offer or he’ll wait it out until after the draft or even into training camp (hoping a starting safety gets injured) to sign somewhere.

We'd be nuts to sign him for that kind of $.  We've been going (for the most part) in the opposite direction this offseason by letting a bunch of older vets go and signing a bunch of younger players.  Digging this youth movement.  And honestly even if he was younger I have a hard time seeing us sign 2 safeties in free agency.  We now have CJGJ and Blank to start the season as our starting tandem and once Brown recovers he'll be in the mix pushing Blank for that 2nd starting spot.  I'd sooner draft another S to add to the mix.  

• 3 weeks later...

This week he'll sign here 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Godfather said:

This week he'll sign here 

I really hope so! He’d be a good addition to this team especially going to in the draft he’d cover another position so we could have a very open draft board.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:53 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I really hope so! He’d be a good addition to this team especially going to in the draft he’d cover another position so we could have a very open draft board.

I'm not sure I understand what difference he would make in that regard. Blankenship and CJGJ are our starting safeties already and they are projected to be the starters for several years. There is no immediate need to draft a safety. If it's depth you're worried about, signing a vet to a 1-year deal hardly changes a draft strategy. Brown will eventually return and McCollum actually played well in his opportunity last season. Maddox also provides depth at safety.

It just doesn't look like adding another "starting" safety is in the Eagles' plans. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not sure I understand what difference he would make in that regard. Blankenship and CJGJ are our starting safeties already and they are projected to be the starters for several years. There is no immediate need to draft a safety. If it's depth you're worried about, signing a vet to a 1-year deal hardly changes a draft strategy. Brown will eventually return and McCollum actually played well in his opportunity last season. Maddox also provides depth at safety.

It just doesn't look like adding another "starting" safety is in the Eagles' plans. 

Blankenship for me is fine but I’m not sold on him being a starter. And even if he is a starter he’s not a high level one and I’d feel a lot better if he was the #3.