Eagles sign CB Josiah Scott, add DB Mario Goodrich to the practice squad

NOTW

Scott was awful last year, really scraping the bottom of the barrel, hopefully some of these guys can get healthy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Scott was awful last year, really scraping the bottom of the barrel, hopefully some of these guys can get healthy 

Man he's back. We're going to get roasted this week... please offense keep the ball for 10 minute drives :(

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, judunno said:

Man he's back. We're going to get roasted this week... please offense keep the ball for 10 minute drives 😞

The other guys weren’t much better to be honest. 

Scott wasn't all bad last year. Right now, he's better than Goodrich. I know this move isn't exciting and I still hope they add one of the rumored safeties. I think they would have added Scott immediately after the Maddox injury except he was on a practice squad and we would have to sign him to the active roster. Well, we're even more desperate right now, so here we are. 

I thought for a backup nickel, he played alright overall last year. He was with us all through camp and preseason this year so he has a lot of familiarity and should be able to play right away. I'd prefer to have a better player, but we don't have that guy on the roster and healthy. 

TBH, this makes more sense to me than the Julio Jones signing. 

Yeesh, they are desperate. 

Hopefully we don't see a 4 game losing streak coming. Season would be over by the Bye.

Desperation time in the secondary. 

Really need guys to get healthy, or the offense to finally score a ton of points. 

• Like 2

C'mon man, how bad a corner can Ringo be that he's not worth a shot ahead of guys like this that couldn't even get on our PS, or the guys we had running around 4 or 5 yards behind Garrett Wilson every other play on Sunday?

• Like 1

Didn’t someone report that howie’s focus was for searching for secondary help? So we’ve signed julio Jones and Josiah Scott . 

doesn’t seem like a successful search to me 

52 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Didn’t someone report that howie’s focus was for searching for secondary help? So we’ve signed julio Jones and Josiah Scott . 

Last year he goes out and gets Suh and Joseph when we're struggling with rush defense, this year we're getting toasted on the back end and we get Julio Jones and Josiah Scott.

Josiah Scott, a player who at final roster cuts the coaching staff decided was worse than Josh Jobe and Mario Goodrich, how does he help?  Julio Jones?? If we're signing free agents who may not have much left Casey Hayward, Chris Harris and Xavier Rhodes would all be more help as corner depth.

• Like 1

I think people are making Scott out to be worse than he was, mainly because of the 3rd and 30 in the dallas game. He actually helped this team in other games with some key plays. Overall on the season, he had a higher PFF grade than Epps. He's a downgrade from Maddox, but he can play nickel, can play safety, and knows our defense already. 

In his limited playing time (388 snaps) last season, he still had 2 INTs, 8PD, and 2 TFL. Scott is a young player that could still get better with experience. Clearly the Eagles are desperate for help after all the injuries and Scott is a player that was just sitting there with experience in our defense and the training to play either safety or nickel (the two most depleted positions on our team).

It’s a move that gives us options. Not a great move, not even a good move but it gives us options. He knows the team and is familiar with the scheme (though it will have changed slightly) so I can kind of understand the move. But we need a lot lot more.

5 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

C'mon man, how bad a corner can Ringo be that he's not worth a shot ahead of guys like this that couldn't even get on our PS, or the guys we had running around 4 or 5 yards behind Garrett Wilson every other play on Sunday?

Because Ringo would be an outside guy. It's a different skill set than the slot. Jobe is ahead of him outside for the time being

Sad part is we drafted Nolan Smith when Joey Porter, Jr was still on the board.  YTD, Porter, Jr grades out at 81.9, Smith is at a 48.6.  To put Porter’s play in perspective; Slay grades out at 52.3. We passed on a corner that’s outplaying our best DB for a guy that’s not seeing the field (Smith’s snap count is currently at 39 on defense).

24 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

Sad part is we drafted Nolan Smith when Joey Porter, Jr was still on the board.  YTD, Porter, Jr grades out at 81.9, Smith is at a 48.6.  To put Porter’s play in perspective; Slay grades out at 52.3. We passed on a corner that’s outplaying our best DB for a guy that’s not seeing the field (Smith’s snap count is currently at 39 on defense).

I mean that’s always the draft, I’m not sure Nolan is getting used properly or enough to grade him imo. 

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Ringo was pretty awful in the preseason and he made that stupid penalty on special teams. Dude looks super raw right now, and that was my biggest gripe with most of the corners they kept. They are a bunch of guys who simply aren’t ready to play football. Why keep so many of those types of players assuming Maddox (who never stays healthy) and Bradbury and Slay (who are a bit long in the tooth) will stay healthy also? 

26 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

Porter Jr has had 6 tackles, 1 INT and 2 PD's on the season so far. Rookie CB's don't often contribute out of the gate while a great pass rusher is also a premium position. Smith is a long term play that they hope can turn into that great pass rusher

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

They still have a thing with rookies.  Even Nolan Smith only played 3 defensive snaps against the Jets.  He's a 1st rounder, they've had injures at LB and they can't get him more than 3 snaps?

They like Garner and Ricks.  I think Scott is just depth emergency signing, but we'll see.  Forget rookie, draft position, whatever.  Just gotta play who is ready and capable.  Next man up.  I would like to see Sydney Brown when healthy starting as well.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rrfierce said:

I will say this: Howie is always looking for talent wherever he can find it.  Signing guys off the street, other team practice squads, searching for trades.  This could have been a quick/easy emergency move with a guy familiar with the team while he's still looking.  I don't know the full injury report in the secondary of who will be there for Sun night but they may have needed to just make a quick signing, they might not even have enough guys to practice with.  

44 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

I agree Smith should get more snaps.  However, we do this every year with comparisons to other rookies getting more playing time than ours.  Of course Smith "grades" lower, he doesn't play much.  Last year Jordan Davis didn't get many snaps early.  Now he's starting and a beast.  Jalen Carter wasn't getting as many snaps early this year at first either.  

Oh no, Scott is the worst. I’ll never forget how CD Lamb torched him.

There’s a reason he s free agent. No one in the NFL wants him. 

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I think people are making Scott out to be worse than he was, mainly because of the 3rd and 30 in the dallas game. He actually helped this team in other games with some key plays. Overall on the season, he had a higher PFF grade than Epps. He's a downgrade from Maddox, but he can play nickel, can play safety, and knows our defense already. 

In his limited playing time (388 snaps) last season, he still had 2 INTs, 8PD, and 2 TFL. Scott is a young player that could still get better with experience. Clearly the Eagles are desperate for help after all the injuries and Scott is a player that was just sitting there with experience in our defense and the training to play either safety or nickel (the two most depleted positions on our team).

You’ve convinced me you either know nothing about football or this is Howie’s burner account. Scott is the absolute worst. Did you not see the Dallas game last year?