Giglio: 'Right now, Eagles defense not good enough to win Super Bowl'

time2rock

Giglio: 'Right now, Eagles defense not good enough to win Super Bowl'

image.png.593e0cf6889e546c8346b331719caf8e.png

The Philadelphia Eagles are an NFL best 7-1, but one of the biggest concerns—if not the biggest—when projecting their outlook into the postseason is their pass defense.

Joe Giglio does not believe the Eagles' defense, at least right now, is good enough to win the Super Bowl.

"I have serious skepticism that this Eagles defense is good enough to win the Super Bowl," Giglio said on Wednesday's 94WIP Midday Show with Hugh Douglas. "This pass defense though, I can't get out of my head what I've watched some pretty mediocre quarterbacks do to them this year."

The Eagles are allowing 247.5 passing yards per game, which is seventh worst in the NFL.

"The Eagles are 26th in pass defense," Giglio stated. "No team has won the Super Bowl in the last decade with a pass defense that bad, they're 26th."

Giglio also noted that Jalen Hurts has a 94.3 QB rating this year and opposing QBs have achieve a higher passer rating than Hurts when playing against Philadelphia.

"If you add up all of the quarterbacks that have faced the Eagles against them, do you know what their passer rating is? 97.2.

image.png.64462e8a6f8cddf8397d896d29db7866.png

"The Eagles have turned every quarterback they have faced into Justin Herbert," Giglio said. "Now they've got a half a season to fix this, but from what I've seen so far this defense, as presently constituted so far this year, I don't think it is good enough to win the Super Bowl."

The quarterbacks the Eagles have faced thus far include: Mac Jones, Kirk Cousins, Baker Mayfield, Sam Howell twice, Matthew Stafford, Zach Wilson, and Tua Tagovailoa.

Coming up is: Dak Prescott twice, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Brock Purdy, Geno Smith, Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones (if healthy) twice.

Douglas, the former Eagles' defensive end, disagreed with Giglio.

"I feel like it is a work in progress," Douglas said. "You look at some of the pieces that Coach Desai has gotten over the past couple of weeks and guys that have been hurt, it's still an empty canvass to a certain extent. The fact there are coverage issues on the backend, I can attribute most of that to the fact that you've got a lot of guys back there that are learning on the fly...I think this pass rush will sustain this defense to a certain extent."

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-passing-defense-concerns-super-bowl

• Haha 1

Sure they are......stats don't nearly tell the whole story.  

Teams pass more when they can't run at all against the eagles defense.  

Teams pass more when they're behind.

Eagles defensive backfield has had a lot of injuries.

The eagles offense has turned the ball over more than usual, causing short fields for opposing offenses.

It's stupid to make a claim like giglio made.......what defense is good enough to win a super bowl??  SF?  LMAO, Dallas? GTFO.......Every defense has its ups and downs in a league where the rules heavily favor the offense.  

Can't believe these guys get paid for this dribble.....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Sure they are......stats don't nearly tell the whole story.  

Teams pass more when they can't run at all against the eagles defense.  

Teams pass more when they're behind.

Eagles defensive backfield has had a lot of injuries.

The eagles offense has turned the ball over more than usual, causing short fields for opposing offenses.

It's stupid to make a claim like giglio made.......what defense is good enough to win a super bowl??  SF?  LMAO, Dallas? GTFO.......Every defense has its ups and downs in a league where the rules heavily favor the offense.  

Can't believe these guys get paid for this dribble.....

I rarely tune in to his show ... he is too painful to listen to.  And hate to say it, but Hugh Douglas (who does the afternoon show with Giglio) is equally painful to listen to (but for different reasons).  

They held Miami to 10 points but I do hate some of Desai’s schemes. Enough of the 8 yard cushion and letting guys like Sam Howell look like Joe Montana against us. Let’s see some more press coverage. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, time2rock said:

The Eagles have turned every quarterback they have faced into Justin Herbert

Sorry but when he did become the gold standard? A QB with the tools who time and time again fails to deliver.

Anyway… Yes there are concerns about this defense but then they held Miami to 10 points and 3 of those were after the offense turned the ball over basically in the red zone.

The defense needs to get better but I think they will given time and health. And right now the offense is playing really well with room to still improve. And I don’t think any team looks scary right now.

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Sorry but when he did become the gold standard? A QB with the tools who time and time again fails to deliver.

Anyway… Yes there are concerns about this defense but then they held Miami to 10 points and 3 of those were after the offense turned the ball over basically in the red zone.

The defense needs to get better but I think they will given time and health. And right now the offense is playing really well with room to still improve. And I don’t think any team looks scary right now.

The constant change in the secondary has made it difficult to find any consistency.  Seems every week someone new is out and we're throwing in someone else.  How many slot CBs have we used so far this year?  Blankenship missed a few games.  The safety spot opposite Blank has been a revolving door (Evans, Edmunds, Brown).  Bradberry missed a game.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

The constant change in the secondary has made it difficult to find any consistency.  Seems every week someone new is out and we're throwing in someone else.  How many slot CBs have we used so far this year?  Blankenship missed a few games.  The safety spot opposite Blank has been a revolving door (Evans, Edmunds, Brown).  Bradberry missed a game.  

Yeah that’s definitely a factor in this. But I do also think the secondary is a weakness. But every team has them.

Our pass defense is a huge concern.  Regardless of all the possible issues (injuries, multiple combinations, etc etc), Slay and Bradberry simply don't look as good this year.  The defense can't stop anything short/intermediate over the middle.  And if we can't generate any pressure, it's just pitch and catch for the opposing offense.  

Hopefully they start settling in with some consistency with the starting DB group and that may help.  But also, our DL hasn't been getting consistent pressure either.  

We have to hope that our offense controls the ball, puts points on the board and forces the other team into known passing situations.  Otherwise, our defense...as it has looked up to now...will get beaten like a drum over the next 6 weeks.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah that’s definitely a factor in this. But I do also think the secondary is a weakness. But every team has them.

Crazy how the secondary played so much tighter against a much better offense (Miami).  

15 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Our pass defense is a huge concern.  Regardless of all the possible issues (injuries, multiple combinations, etc etc), Slay and Bradberry simply don't look as good this year.  The defense can't stop anything short/intermediate over the middle.  And if we can't generate any pressure, it's just pitch and catch for the opposing offense.  

Hopefully they start settling in with some consistency with the starting DB group and that may help.  But also, our DL hasn't been getting consistent pressure either.  

We have to hope that our offense controls the ball, puts points on the board and forces the other team into known passing situations.  Otherwise, our defense...as it has looked up to now...will get beaten like a drum over the next 6 weeks.

Yea. I think it was critical to get a CB before the trade deadline but looks like Howie couldn't get something  done. 

• Like 1

Giglio's takes are horrible.... can't stand the guy. He needs listeners and this is the ONLY way he gts them. We've had far too many injuries to

draw any conclusions on how we'll look come playoffs.

On 11/3/2023 at 11:18 AM, EaglesAddict said:

I agree.  We are really good against the run and we are usually ahead in the score, so teams are passing 40-50 times a game against.  Yet we have only modest sack and pressure totals.  BG only played 19 per cent of the snaps last week prior to Dallas and Barnett gives us nothing.  Sweat is a constant but we sure need another big DE and i imagine that will be the 1st or 2nd round pick in April

• Like 1

To take the next step as a defense, we need to get pressure on the QB and create turnovers.  Will be interesting to watch the KC game because their defense is balling out.  Have them on my fantasy team.

Did Giglio forget how the Eagles won their 1st Super Bowl? Tom Brady threw for 500 yards. 

The eagles defense has had its issues with injuries and poor situational defenses.

But one facet of a championship defense is making plays at certain times.....

Like forcing a punt on the opponents possession after an eagles score

or not letting team score in the final minutes of first half.

or coming up with a turnover or sack at a critical time

or not allowing a game tying or winning drive at the end of a game.

There are others but allowing your offense to build a 2 score lead is vitally important....

The point is that this defense has its issues with health and DC learning curve, but they seem to do those things regardless of how ugly the game becomes.

11 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

The eagles defense has had its issues with injuries and poor situational defenses.

But one facet of a championship defense is making plays at certain times.....

Like forcing a punt on the opponents possession after an eagles score

or not letting team score in the final minutes of first half.

or coming up with a urnover or sack at a critical time

or not allowing a game tying or winning drive at the end of a game.

There are others but allowing your offense to build a 2 score lead is vitally important....

The point is that this defense has its issues with health and DC learning curve, but they seem to do those things regardless of how ugly the game becomes.

I agree but the playoffs are a different animal.  You don't pull a rabbit out of a hat every time in the post season.  There seems to be complacency creeping in on the D.  We get torched over and over using a soft zone.  We need to add some blitz packages.  I love the CB blitz.  When was the last time we called that play?  You have to press to slow the receiver, knock off timing, giving the D line another second or 2 to get to the QB.  We don't do any of this.  We just change who is playing where in the secondary week to week thinking that will solve the problem.  It won't in the playoffs.  Where are the different game plans weeks to week on D?  Just the same old same old soft zone confusion in the middle of the field.  We sure could use some LBs who can cover.  I have to believe they can be found in rounds 4-5 but we don't seem to be able to draft them prioritizing that skill set.  The DC needs to tweak it