How long have the networks been switching to the ends of other games?

danderson400

Like for example  viewers who got Steelers-Chargers, if it ended earlier, were shown the end of the Chiefs-Broncos game.

I don't remember them NOT doing that, and I've been watching football on TV since the late sixties.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I don't remember them NOT doing that, and I've been watching football on TV since the late sixties.

This. 

Minus the sixties part. 

• Haha 1

They did that back in the 70s when I first started watching football.  Switching games during a game for non-competitive reasons started happening in the early 90s, if I'm recalling correctly. I don't think they did that back in the 1980s. If a game was crap, you got to see the whole crapfest.

Networks are still subject to rules regarding bonus coverage:

Sunday bonus coverage

When a media market's regionally televised game ends before the others, the network (CBS or Fox) may switch to "bonus coverage" of the ending of another game. However, the league imposes two restrictions that are designed to maximize the ratings of the late games on the doubleheader network, which tend to record the most NFL viewers during the day, often beating the audience for Sunday night games.

First, bonus coverage offered after any early time slot games cannot be shown past the start of the late time slot (either 4:10 ET for the doubleheader network or 4:15 ET for the non-doubleheader network). This prevents people from continuing to watch the bonus coverage instead of seeing the beginning of the late doubleheader network's game (which is usually either their local team or the network's featured game). Again, the networks may show highlights of the game, and usually will at the earliest opportunity. The network broadcasting the single game will sometimes show each play as soon as it ends as part of its post-game show. A station originally getting the game featured during bonus coverage will stay with it unless they are leaving to show a local team.

Second, bonus coverage cannot be shown after a late game on the single-game network because it will run in opposition to the ending of the late doubleheader network's game(s) and NBC's pre-game show. However, the single-game network usually schedules most of its top games in the early 1:00 ET time slot (except for west coast teams' home games, and possibly either a Giants or Jets game), so this does not tend to be a major issue.

If the doubleheader network's games all finish before 7:30 ET, it is supposed to conclude the post-game show within 10 minutes to protect NBC's pre-game show. If any games finish after 7:30, the post-game program can run until 8:00 ET. However, this restriction seems to apply to game footage only; on several occasions Fox has run its post-game offering to 8:00, despite all games ending before 7:30, by airing only panel discussions and interviews in the latter portion of the show. On the other hand, CBS rarely airs any post-game show after its doubleheaders or 4:05 single-games. This is because 60 Minutes is one of its signature shows, and CBS makes every effort to start it as close to 7:00—its traditional airtime—as possible.

I've seen bonus coverage preempt the start of the second game many times despite the fact that they are supposed to maximize the ratings of the late games and you can't really do that if games aren't over.

Last year, CBS took me off of the Ravens-Texans game to join Broncos-Vikings. That was a pretty good game, because Minnesota came back form a big lead to win. And later that year, they did the same thing with Raiders-Chiefs- they joined Chargers-Broncos.

I notice that CBS tends to delay 60 Minutes until all late games finish. Fox does that with The Simpsons

3 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

They did that back in the 70s when I first started watching football.  Switching games during a game for non-competitive reasons started happening in the early 90s, if I'm recalling correctly. I don't think they did that back in the 1980s. If a game was crap, you got to see the whole crapfest.

Pretty sure that they were cutting away from games for non-competitive reasons when i was little.

On 7/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, danderson400 said:

Last year, CBS took me off of the Ravens-Texans game to join Broncos-Vikings. That was a pretty good game, because Minnesota came back form a big lead to win. And later that year, they did the same thing with Raiders-Chiefs- they joined Chargers-Broncos.

I notice that CBS tends to delay 60 Minutes until all late games finish. Fox does that with The Simpsons

Have you been bottling up your annoyance to create this thread since last season?