The disaster that is 2021

Rob331

As of today overthecap.com has the Eagles $50,000,000 over the 2021 cap. Now figure that the cap will be going down because there won't be full stadiums and let's conservatively call the big number $60,0000,000. 

Then there's our own free agents - defensive starters include Derek Barnett, Jalen Mills, Nickell-Robey Coleman, and Jatavus Brown. Defensive backups include Sydney Jones (who might start), Will Ford (who might start), Rasul Douglas, Cre'von LeBlanc, Hassan Ridgeway, Duke Riley (who might start) and Will Parks. Note - that's 4 corner backs and 3 safeties. We just can't replace all of them in the draft. On te offense there's Corey Clement and Nate Sudfeld. Sudfeld's imminent departure somewhat explains the Jalen Hurts pick but I sure would have preferred CB Christian Fulton considering the situation next year. 

We can save $8M by cutting Jeffrey next season 

I know no one want to hear it but we could save $5M by trading Zach Ertz

DeSean Jackson departure next year would save another $5M

Here's a sure bet - Marquise Goodwin would save us $7M

Brandon Brooks would save is $2.5M which is possible if Pryor does a good job this year. 

That fowls is a total of $27.5M which isn't even half way there. 

Brandon Graham would only save us $750,000 because of on-going prorated bonuses in later years. Moving Wentz, Johnson, Kelce, Slay, Hargrave, and Dillard would all cost us cap space for the same reason.

We could save $7M by moving Fletcher Cox but I don't think that's in the realm of possibility. 

Any ideas?

Another cap thread about next year? Cool

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

No mention of rolling over the unused portion of this year's cap (currently $24.7M). 

Finally someone said it 

19 hours ago, brkmsn said:

No mention of rolling over the unused portion of this year's cap (currently $24.7M). 

I thought even with that number there was only a percentage that could be rolled over that was like 8mil.

I haven’t looked at the details of his deal yet, but when you see the Chiefs sign Mahomes for over 500mil with incentives then I’m not going to worry about the cap or it decreasing. Even if it does I’m not too worried about it cause Howie knows how to work the cap far better than how he works a draft.

Entire industries are going out of business. Eagles budget is FUBAR. They have commitments , but this is not going to be business as usual, so the ticket sales will be way..way below previous year projections. It is entirely possible, if the COVID case numbers keep going up as a rocket, they may be forced to shut the stadium entirely. Possible convert to pay per view events..with no fans present. We are in uncharted waters..so anything can happen...but the only consistent is that the income will be way down.  

Also, the NFL can't just lower the cap and expect teams to deal with that. You can't expect teams to cut their top earners who are under contract. They will have to find a way to make this work. 

On paper it all sounds doom and gloom. In reality I think it'll be rather different because it has to be. 

• Like 1

I'm not worried but I am curious what the league will do if the season gets canceled. Will the league just add a year to every contract? Did teams just pay 1 year contracts for nothing?

The cap will be fine.  We literally have the guy that the rest of the league praises and tries to mimic when it comes to cap management.  

On 7/12/2020 at 11:11 AM, Rob331 said:

As of today overthecap.com has the Eagles $50,000,000 over the 2021 cap. Now figure that the cap will be going down because there won't be full stadiums and let's conservatively call the big number $60,0000,000. 

Then there's our own free agents - defensive starters include Derek Barnett, Jalen Mills, Nickell-Robey Coleman, and Jatavus Brown. Defensive backups include Sydney Jones (who might start), Will Ford (who might start), Rasul Douglas, Cre'von LeBlanc, Hassan Ridgeway, Duke Riley (who might start) and Will Parks. Note - that's 4 corner backs and 3 safeties. We just can't replace all of them in the draft. On te offense there's Corey Clement and Nate Sudfeld. Sudfeld's imminent departure somewhat explains the Jalen Hurts pick but I sure would have preferred CB Christian Fulton considering the situation next year. 

We can save $8M by cutting Jeffrey next season 

I know no one want to hear it but we could save $5M by trading Zach Ertz

DeSean Jackson departure next year would save another $5M

Here's a sure bet - Marquise Goodwin would save us $7M

Brandon Brooks would save is $2.5M which is possible if Pryor does a good job this year. 

That fowls is a total of $27.5M which isn't even half way there. 

Brandon Graham would only save us $750,000 because of on-going prorated bonuses in later years. Moving Wentz, Johnson, Kelce, Slay, Hargrave, and Dillard would all cost us cap space for the same reason.

We could save $7M by moving Fletcher Cox but I don't think that's in the realm of possibility. 

Any ideas?

I think we have 26 million in roll over money. 

On 7/12/2020 at 2:11 PM, Rob331 said:

Any ideas?

Whenever you find yourself questioning the cap, just look at this picture, and your faith shall return:

The Real Bear Jew - Funny post - Imgur

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Also, the NFL can't just lower the cap and expect teams to deal with that. You can't expect teams to cut their top earners who are under contract. They will have to find a way to make this work. 

On paper it all sounds doom and gloom. In reality I think it'll be rather different because it has to be. 

I don’t see how the NFLPA would simply go with getting the cap cut, and going to extended game seasons. The players would strike first.

The league isn't going to lower the cap and screw up all the teams. Something will be done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

The league isn't going to lower the cap and screw up all the teams. Something will be done.

Agreed.  That would create anarchy within the league.  I don't know the details of each contract that is signed by each player, but I imagine there would be lawsuits out the arse if the team tried to just take away money from players because of this. 

When Wentz retires after his next injury how much does that save them :ph34r:

I doubt the salary cap goes down. That would be the owners screwing their GMs. Maybe it won't go up or up as much, but I'd bet it doesn't go down. Also the nflpa would never agree to that. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t see how the NFLPA would simply go with getting the cap cut, and going to extended game seasons. The players would strike first.

Yeah it's not that straight forward I don't think. They'll need to give it careful consideration to come up with an answer that works out the best for everyone. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah it's not that straight forward I don't think. They'll need to give it careful consideration to come up with an answer that works out the best for everyone. 

The owners are definitely losing out at the gates for this year, but the Eagles alone are worth 2.75 billion dollars according to Forbes. Lurie is taking a hit at the stadium this year, but he has more than enough to get by without it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Everyone keeps saying that.  But he’s never been this much over and he’s made some seriously bad decisions since 2017.   The poor drafting over the years has caught up to him.  He tried to cover up by signing players to deals he shouldn’t have and now it’s coming home to roost.   Eagles will be a mediocre team for years to come, all wasting Carson’s prime.  I don’t blame Howie. Blame Lurie.  He’s the one who empowered that moron and we all know he won’t make the change.  

Nah.  In the next 1-2 years Wentz’ contract will look like a home-run when the rest of the league needs to spend (at least) that much on their QB’s. (Most won’t be as good as Wentz).
That alone gives the Eagles a huge advantage.

There are a few "dud” contracts but most of those will be gone in the next 1-2 years.