Fallout - Amazon Prime Series

iladelphxx

FO3 probably did more to advance the genre (open-world rpg fps) than any other game in history. The only reason why people were as critical as they were for NV and FO4 was because of the lofty standard set by FO3.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 12:43 PM, we_gotta_believe said:

FO3 probably did more to advance the genre (open-world rpg fps) than any other game in history. The only reason why people were as critical as they were for NV and FO4 was because of the lofty standard set by FO3.

FO3 is my all time favorite game. 

• Like 1

Gamers - do I need to play FO1 and start from there?  Or can I just go FO4 and figure out the story and all that? Speaking from a gaming perspective first.  I wanna watch the show too but if it’s anything like the last of us, I wanna be invested in the characters I know from the game.

7 hours ago, DBW said:

Gamers - do I need to play FO1 and start from there?  Or can I just go FO4 and figure out the story and all that? Speaking from a gaming perspective first.  I wanna watch the show too but if it’s anything like the last of us, I wanna be invested in the characters I know from the game.

FO games aren't really narrative driven, they're almost entirely gameplay driven, which is kinda the exact opposite of the Last of Us. That being said, there are going to be things you likely would be confused by unless you have played the games, but to save you some time, I'd suggest just starting with FO4 instead. FO1 was made decades ago and is an isometric rpg, same with FO2. Then there was a huge span of time before FO3 came out, and it switched to open-world fps rpg. Super ambitious at the time, but they nailed it despite quite a few bugs at launch. They followed it with New Vegas and FO4 in the following years and then the botched online FO:76 game that I never even bothered with because it sounded like garbage. You can start with FO3 if you really want, but graphically it's going to be a bit dated and timewise, I'm not sure how much additional exposition you'd get to make it worth it. I'd guess most of the look and feel should come through in FO4, while still introducing the concepts of vault dwellers, wasteland wanderers, brotherhood of steel, etc.

• Like 1

hunt jr is a big fallout fan & told me he heard the tv show is more based on FO1, FO2, & FO New Vegas.  my only experience is with FO4 & i still play the sheet out of that one. 

3 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

hunt jr is a big fallout fan & told me he heard the tv show is more based on FO1, FO2, & FO New Vegas.  my only experience is with FO4 & i still play the sheet out of that one. 

I had read that it wasn't really based on any particular game but just set in the same universe. Either way, I'll still watch since it looks promising even though the games weren't really about plot as much as they were about setting and atmosphere, allowing the player to explore the open world and kinda create their own story. Not sure if we'll see any of the same characters from the games. Aside from the villains, most are largely forgettable anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I had read that it wasn't really based on any particular game but just set in the same universe. Either way, I'll still watch since it looks promising even though the games weren't really about plot as much as they were about setting and atmosphere, allowing the player to explore the open world and kinda create their own story. Not sure if we'll see any of the same characters from the games. Aside from the villains, most are largely forgettable anyway.

we need piper & cait!  1223136951_cannaboner2.gif.8ae25035d2ce8844335391e7bc922ab2.gif

:whistle:  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

FO games aren't really narrative driven, they're almost entirely gameplay driven, which is kinda the exact opposite of the Last of Us. That being said, there are going to be things you likely would be confused by unless you have played the games, but to save you some time, I'd suggest just starting with FO4 instead. FO1 was made decades ago and is an isometric rpg, same with FO2. Then there was a huge span of time before FO3 came out, and it switched to open-world fps rpg. Super ambitious at the time, but they nailed it despite quite a few bugs at launch. They followed it with New Vegas and FO4 in the following years and then the botched online FO:76 game that I never even bothered with because it sounded like garbage. You can start with FO3 if you really want, but graphically it's going to be a bit dated and timewise, I'm not sure how much additional exposition you'd get to make it worth it. I'd guess most of the look and feel should come through in FO4, while still introducing the concepts of vault dwellers, wasteland wanderers, brotherhood of steel, etc.

Yup. I played FO3 and FO4 and I don't think I can name a single character by name. The game is like reading a choose your own adventure book instead of reading a traditional book that has a beginning and an end with a plot in the middle.

Even whatever characters there are, their motives and interactions are entirely dependent on choices you make throughout the game. You probably don't have to play at all to watch the show, but it will help with some of the groups like you said. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Great info!  Thanks for laying that out!  

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 1:40 AM, DBW said:

All the games have similarities but are separate stories and locations. I know it's behind the times graphics wise, but I would absolutely recommend starting with FO3. It and New Vegas I still liked better than FO4

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 7:27 AM, mr_hunt said:

My understanding is it’s based around LA. Takes place 20 years after events of FO3, 15 years after New Vegas, and 9 years after Fallout 4. Sounds like the NCR aka New California Republic & Brotherhood of Steel are going to be big factions in the show. Which makes sense given that those are the two biggest factions on the west coast in the Fallout lore. NCR was a main faction you could join in the New Vegas game also with a NCR ranger being on the cover of the game. It’ll be really cool to have them in the show. 

They killed it on the trailer. I’m a huge fallout fan, played 3/NV/4 and a little bit of 76 before I turned it back in to GameStop. Everything looks fantastic. That city the Ghoul is in was a cool nod to Megaton. I read that in this setting the raiders are pretty much wiped out, I’m gonna be disappointed if we don’t have a Raider gang in the show. 

I also reaaaaaally hope we get a Deathclaw scene. I know they will. They have to. I hope it’s a horror scene too. A fallout show without a deathclaw appearance ain’t a proper fallout show. Same with Super Mutants, Mirelurks, Radscorpions, radroach, raider gangs, mole rats, Ghouls and Brotherhood of Steel. Luckily we know we get a few of those.

• Like 2