Jim Harbaugh (Head Coach, Michigan) -- HIRED BY L.A. CHARGERS

Procus

This man is exactly what the Eagles organization needs.  He's an offensive minded HC with a proven track record in both college and the pros.  He can bring his DC of the #1 rated college D over with him.  Eagles have a history with the Harbaughs, and Lurie previously expressed regret for not keeping John Harbaugh with the team.

On top of all of that - college head coaches coming into the NFL have a leg up on other teams when it comes to the draft.  They've seen the prospects up close and personal and know them better than any scout could hope for.

Retain Siri if the team has a shot at Harbaugh?  I wouldn't even look back if the Eagles have a legit shot.  I could see the team making a splash like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Procus said:

This man is exactly what the Eagles organization needs.  He's an offensive minded HC with a proven track record in both college and the pros.  He can bring his DC of the #1 rated college D over with him.  Eagles have a history with the Harbaughs, and Lurie previously expressed regret for not keeping John Harbaugh with the team.

On top of all of that - college head coaches coming into the NFL have a leg up on other teams when it comes to the draft.  They've seen the prospects up close and personal and know them better than any scout could hope for.

Retain Siri if the team has a shot at Harbaugh?  I wouldn't even look back if the Eagles have a legit shot.  I could see the team making a splash like that.

I think Harbaugh is too big of a name for Howie. Harbaugh is going to want some control of his coaching staff and personnel matters which will rub Howie the wrong way. Howie doesn’t want to get moved to the basement again. He wants a "yes” man to the detriment of the team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Procus said:

I can’t see them firing Nick so this one is a non starter. They’ll give Nick a year to turn it around and if he doesn’t then they will fire him. That’s what they did with Doug when it was heading south. That’s what they did with Chip and that’s what they did with Andy.

The guy who's such a gigantic a-hole the 49ers decided to get rid of him after 2 NFC Championship games and a Superbowl appearance in 4 years? Or is there another Jim Harbaugh?

4 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The guy who's such a gigantic a-hole the 49ers decided to get rid of him after 2 NFC Championship games and a Superbowl appearance in 4 years? Or is there another Jim Harbaugh?

Thing is… ESP and James Seltzer made an interesting point on their latest pod. Can any HC survive long term in Philly? It’s such a demanding job with such intense media coverage and fan following that maybe guys burn out fast? I know Andy was here a long time but his last few years weren’t a huge success. Doug won a SB but lasted what 5 years? 

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Thing is… ESP and James Seltzer made an interesting point on their latest pod. Can any HC survive long term in Philly? It’s such a demanding job with such intense media coverage and fan following that maybe guys burn out fast? I know Andy was here a long time but his last few years weren’t a huge success. Doug won a SB but lasted what 5 years? 

So you put an a-hole head coach who can't get on with a GM even when he's winning, in a job with an power tripping GM who screwed over the last guy who challenged him, fired a Superbowl winning coach because he wanted his own staff, and reached down to remove the current coaches DC choice mid season? Does that sound like a recipe for success?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

So you put an a-hole head coach who can't get on with a GM even when he's winning, in a job with an power tripping GM who screwed over the last guy who challenged him, fired a Superbowl winning coach because he wanted his own staff, and reached down to remove the current coaches DC choice mid season? Does that sound like a recipe for success?

I mean… I’m not saying it would be a guaranteed success but I do think Harbaugh could bring some success here. Ultimately like we need to think about options and I’m not sure having just a yes guy is the right way either?

If the Pats split with BB I think he ends up there. They try and move up to pick one, give him his choice at QB and hope they bounce back quickly 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Mat said:

If the Pats split with BB I think he ends up there. They try and move up to pick one, give him his choice at QB and hope they bounce back quickly 

No way.  Lurie hasn't hired a defensive minded HC since Ray Rhodes

4 minutes ago, Procus said:

No way.  Lurie hasn't hired a defensive minded HC since Ray Rhodes

I mean Harbaugh ends up in NE. He would have a solid D, a top young QB and a ton of cap space. 

BB will either retire or go to a team desperate for relevance like the Chargers or Washington

Washington makes sense, it would be something I would expect of Josh Harris to get a big name coach in

11 minutes ago, Mat said:

I mean Harbaugh ends up in NE. He would have a solid D, a top young QB and a ton of cap space. 

BB will either retire or go to a team desperate for relevance like the Chargers or Washington

Washington makes sense, it would be something I would expect of Josh Harris to get a big name coach in

I think out of genuine respect Kraft will offer Bellichick the chance to retire rather than fire him outright, whether Bellichick is smart enough to take that rather than ask to be fired and go and rain further piss on his own reputation at another team is a matter for real debate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think out of genuine respect Kraft will offer Bellichick the chance to retire rather than fire him outright, whether Bellichick is smart enough to take that rather than ask to be fired and go and rain further piss on his own reputation at another team is a matter for real debate.

Belichick will end up in LA coaching the Chargers if he so chooses. They’re a playoff ready team in need of a good coach. They have all the parts in place and he would turn them around quickly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Belichick will end up in LA coaching the Chargers if he so chooses. They’re a playoff ready team in need of a good coach. They have all the parts in place and he would turn them around quickly. 

The Chargers are projected at $41million over the cap for 2024 and their 4 top earners (Mack, Bosa, Allen and Evans) are in the last year of contracts with massive cap hits that would have to be extended way beyond 30 years old to restructure, they're not as easy a job as they're being sold as, there are big decisions to be made, and Bellichick is by some distance the last head coach in the league you'd want to be doing the drafting to potentially replace your top 2 wide receivers.

19 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The Chargers are projected at $41million over the cap for 2024 and their 4 top earners (Mack, Bosa, Allen and Evans) are in the last year of contracts with massive cap hits that would have to be extended way beyond 30 years old to restructure, they're not as easy a job as they're being sold as, there are big decisions to be made, and Bellichick is by some distance the last head coach in the league you'd want to be doing the drafting to potentially replace your top 2 wide receivers.

If they hire Belichick they’ll just kick the can down the road like Howie’s been doing the last couple years. These GM’s are very creative and will find a way to make it work. 

On 1/3/2024 at 4:08 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can’t see them firing Nick so this one is a non starter. They’ll give Nick a year to turn it around and if he doesn’t then they will fire him. That’s what they did with Doug when it was heading south. That’s what they did with Chip and that’s what they did with Andy.

Both situations are way different. This is a wheels are falling off moment for Siri. He has zero excuses for  the offense.  

If it wasn't for that dropped pass by Jeffrey   against the Saints the Eagles would have probably been repeat champs.

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2024 at 2:24 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You can thank the toxic, cancerous ginger for that. Lurie and Howie were trying to appease Carson, so they clipped Doug. 

Is this a tough place to coach? Absolutely, but not anymore than any other major market. 

The days of long-tenured NFL HC's are becoming a thing of the past, once you stop producing, you're disposable. 

11 hours ago, Birdman said:

You can thank the toxic, cancerous ginger for that. Lurie and Howie were trying to appease Carson, so they clipped Doug. 

Is this a tough place to coach? Absolutely, but not anymore than any other major market. 

The days of long-tenured NFL HC's are becoming a thing of the past, once you stop producing, you're disposable. 

Yeah and that’s true of soccer too (and I’m sure other sports). I think with social media and constant news and global opinions it just isn’t possible for HC to be long term anymore. The pressure is too intense as fans and everyone has more of a voice.

After the Chip Kelly debacle they would never hire a coach they cannot control.

Howie and Lurie want complete control of this team and say in every function of this team. Jim will not allow that and will want overall say. So there's a 0% chance he comes to Philly

Jim Harbaugh isn't coming here for the reasons stated above. He'll take one of the other openings: Chargers, Commanders, or Raiders (if Pierce isn't promoted to full time HC)

Our best hope is that the front office realizes we need to start fresh at BOTH the OC and DC positions and give Sirianni the best chance to succeed. 

The combination of Brian Johnson and Matt Patricia/Sean Desai isn't going to cut it. If those guys are willing to stick around as positional coaches fine, but it's unlikely that they would accept a demotion like that.

When it comes to head coaches, Jeff Lurie has had a total of 5 (not counting interim HC Pat Shurmur) during his time owning the franchise.

The three guys that had minimal to no fanfare when they first hired were all able to take this team to the Super Bowl: Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, Nick Sirianni. The other two weren't able to: Ray Rhodes, Chip Kelly.

For all our complaining, Jeff Lurie has done quite well in selecting this team's head coach.

Doubtful

On 1/2/2024 at 10:15 PM, Procus said:

This absolutely would be the best choice if the position becomes available.  Of course there would be an understanding between him and Lurie, namely, Jim needs to lay down the ground rules, "no meddling, let me do what I've been hired to do."

My guess is that Belichick takes the LA Chargers job and Harbaugh takes the Washington Commanders job.

Washington is looking to make a big splash with Josh Harris as the new owner and Jim Harbaugh coming off a championship with Michigan combined with his previous NFL coaching success fits the bill.

Belichick has shown that he really needs a franchise QB to win, but he can field a strong defense regardless of what he has to work with. The Chargers already have Justin Herbert and talent on both sides of the ball, although the cap situation is less than favorable.

Outside of those two guys, Mike Vrabel might be the only "experienced" HC candidate available right now that I'd be comfortable replacing Sirianni with. Ron Rivera, as well respected as he is, would be better served as a DC for us rather than our HC.