Ike Reese says conversation around Sirianni losing his job is 'ridiculous'

time2rock

Ike Reese says conversation around Sirianni losing his job is 'ridiculous'

image.png.4697689312f5fca33697939843080caa.png

Ike Reese does not believe Nick Sirianni's job should be in jeopardy and thinks the conversation around his job security is "ridiculous."

LISTEN HERE --> https://omny.fm/shows/afternoons-on-94wip/ike-and-esp-explain-why-nick-sirianni-deserves-a-c

"Everybody wants to talk about Nick Sirianni and blame him," Reese said at the beginning of Tuesday's 94WIP Afternoon Show. "And for some strange reason, people believe his job should be in jeopardy.

"We're talking about a coach who has been to the playoffs three years out of three years he's been here as the head coach," Reese continued. "Gotten the team to the Super Bowl in his second year. To not afford him the ability to fix whatever is wrong with this team right now as we come down the stretch—and I'm not saying he's not held responsible. He is the head coach. Of course he is liable for some of this. But is he liable to the point where it should cost him his job? Absolutely not. Absolutely not. You can be concerned, you can have questions, you can be frustrated with him, you can question him. I got all those things, I'm on board with all of that, but I draw the line at the fact this man should lose his job after this season. We'll discuss it, but I just think it's just ridiculous to discuss it quite frankly."

Joe DeCamara asked Sirianni if he thinks about his future as Eagles' head coach on Tuesday's 94WIP Morning Show.

"No, I don't think about those things," Sirianni said on Tuesday's 94WIP Morning Show. "I try to stay where we are right now."

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-nick-sirianni-job-future-fired-ike-reese

• Like 2

So look… I get it. I get Ikes point that we shouldn’t be here and we shouldn’t be questioning Sirianni job after what he’s achieved in his first 3 years. But this has fallen apart so catastrophically that I think we have to question it. Can this man turn it around? Given it is his offense that is so damn bad? Look the defense is pathetic but it also lacks talent. But this offense should be top 5 and even you can argue should be top 2/3. And it isn’t. I’m just not sure he’s got what it takes and if he has lost the players (which it seems it has) then he has to go.

We went to the SB in spite of Nick.  Shane and our star players were the reason we won all those games.  Nick is an idiot.  He's a puppet yes man who allows the owner's son to formulate the schemes and game plans on both offense and defense.  He is told who is playing and what simple plays are to be run over and over again because the analytics dept says so.  He can't call plays or design them, design or adjust schemes or do anything on D.  As they said in that downsizing meeting in Office Space..."Nick, what would you say you do here?" 

He says sir yes sir to Lurie's kid, and to Howie that's what he does here.  That's the dirty truth that no one will talk about.  Not Peterson, Reich, Schwartz, not the players or ex players, or the media, yet they all know this is happening.  It's why we can't get a good coach to come here.  Lurie and Howie demand complete control and we are now going to pay the piper going forward as our good players have aged and Howie can't draft at all.  We don't have, nor will we have, a good coach to make it all work.  I've watched this team going on 60 years.  This is the end of our run.  It's over

This will be a 5-6 win team in 2-3 years.  Thank God we won a SB allowing 500 yards of offense using kid Lurie's awful bend over and take it scheme.  

• Like 1

Weko, 

Help me understand why you think Lurie's kid has a disproportionate negative impact on this offense.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, weko said:

We went to the SB in spite of Nick.  Shane and our star players were the reason we won all those games.  Nick is an idiot.  He's a puppet yes man who allows the owner's son to formulate the schemes and game plans on both offense and defense.  He is told who is playing and what simple plays are to be run over and over again because the analytics dept says so.  He can't call plays or design them, design or adjust schemes or do anything on D.  As they said in that downsizing meeting in Office Space..."Nick, what would you say you do here?" 

He says sir yes sir to Lurie's kid, and to Howie that's what he does here.  That's the dirty truth that no one will talk about.  Not Peterson, Reich, Schwartz, not the players or ex players, or the media, yet they all know this is happening.  It's why we can't get a good coach to come here.  Lurie and Howie demand complete control and we are now going to pay the piper going forward as our good players have aged and Howie can't draft at all.  We don't have, nor will we have, a good coach to make it all work.  I've watched this team going on 60 years.  This is the end of our run.  It's over

This will be a 5-6 win team in 2-3 years.  Thank God we won a SB allowing 500 yards of offense using kid Lurie's awful bend over and take it scheme.  

Yeesh. A lot to digest with this post. Got any proof?? Or is this just an Old Man rant??

12 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Yeesh. A lot to digest with this post. Got any proof?? Or is this just an Old Man rant??

The latter. 

image.png.b4ba08dbe63ccdb526545126270028c7.png

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2024 at 4:03 PM, weko said:

Settle down Francis... 

Dallas Goddard today bravely revealed that Howie Roseman is in EVERY team meeting. GMs don’t do that. He is there to monitor the coaches making sure they install management’s game plans. 

• Like 1

The turning point was in Doug’s year end meeting with Jeff and Howie when he wanted to bring in his own OC and refused the new model of Lurie’s son’s analytics department running the offense. Doug balked and was fired on the spot. They hired cheerleader motivational speaker Nick who knows nothing about defense and failed miserably calling plays. He is a high school coach with limited football knowledge but he will do as told. Shane called the plays, was our star and got us to the SB along with our core vets. Those vets enabled us to eke out wins this year. We could easily have a losing record without them balling. Many will depart this off season. The players are fed up with management’s intrusion into coaching the team. This organization is a sh@ t show

You want to see how angry our players are at the coaches and management.  You tube the Eagles then scroll down and watch the video where cheerleader Nick reads off the players picked to the pro bowl.  The camera does quick close ups on each player's face, 6 voted on and a number of alternates.  I couldn't believe the hostility on every player's face as they looked at their coach reading their name.  Something that should be a nice moment for these players.  Our players as a whole are majorly pissed off.  I recommend everyone watch this video

5 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

Settle down Francis... 

Do you mean "Lighten up Francis"?

• Like 1

I’ve been as critical as anyone about Sirianni but he did make the playoffs his first 3 years and a Super Bowl in his second. 

I think he’s earned another shot but under the condition that both coordinators are gone. If he doesn’t agree to that, then he can go with them. 

19 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I’ve been as critical as anyone about Sirianni but he did make the playoffs his first 3 years and a Super Bowl in his second. 

I think he’s earned another shot but under the condition that both coordinators are gone. If he doesn’t agree to that, then he can go with them. 

And I think on the basis that he’s made the play offs 3 straight years and the SB last year that’s absolutely fair. I just think the way this has all collapsed is why there should be strong consideration. I also am not sure Sirianni can turn it around and so I don’t want the risk that next year is a blown year. But I do absolutely get why they should stick with him.

Firing Sirianni would be an overreaction.......but the eagles have had a problem ALL YEAR with this offense.  And as the year went on, it got worse and worse.  With no apparent fix.

I think the majority of the offensive problems come from the OC.....If Sirianni is putting the OC before the team, then something has to be addressed at his level.  This has been an embarrassment......losing to the 49ers and the cowpies during that stretch is understandable to a degree......getting destroyed both games is a serious red flag.  But then losing to seattle, struggling to beat the giants in philly and losing to cardinals and giants in terrible fashion while heading into the playoffs is way more than a red flag.

The team has shown alot more frustration and anger over the last few weeks.

The offense runs the same 10 plays over and over with little to no results.  

The OC doesn't adjust to blitzes, situations, or try to create mismatches......

Plays that do work are never seen again in a game.

Red zone calls are pathetic.

We've heard that opposing players have mentioned the eagles offense being predictable......we've all seen how boring and uncreative it is.  We've seen some very lowed ranked defenses shut them down.  We've seen red zone series where they never take a shot into the end zone.  

If the OC isn't the problem.....I need somebody to explain to me what the problem is.......this offense is loaded with talent....NO F------ reason that they should be as inept as they are....so If the game planning and play calling isn't the problem, I want to hear what is....

Just now, birdman#12 said:

Firing Sirianni would be an overreaction.....

Would it though? I mean right now this team is a bottom 5 team in the NFL. I’d argue bottom 3 and if you put the Cards down there (which a lot would) then they just beat us.

The overreaction isn’t to the record. The record looks ok on paper, 11 wins is pretty good. It’s the manner of the losses, it’s the variety of the losses and it’s the way this team has given up and has no answers. Couple that with the issues we’ve seen all year and honestly I don’t think it would be an overreaction.

Football is a game of small margins. Well in 3 of the 5 losses it wasn’t really close. In 2 of them the team just didn’t produce in certain spots. But pretty much all of their wins were close games. I know it’s ifs and buts and what ifs but look at some of their wins.

The Minnesota game came down to the wire despite us being comfortable at one point. The Pats game was close. If Washington go for 2 they may well have beaten us before we got to OT. If KC had a reliable WR that probably ends a loss. Dallas choked and we got away with one. Like I know they are what ifs but just a couple of different outcomes to a single play and this team probably has 8 or 9 wins instead. This team has had problems all year that the wins covered up.

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Would it though? I mean right now this team is a bottom 5 team in the NFL. I’d argue bottom 3 and if you put the Cards down there (which a lot would) then they just beat us.

The overreaction isn’t to the record. The record looks ok on paper, 11 wins is pretty good. It’s the manner of the losses, it’s the variety of the losses and it’s the way this team has given up and has no answers. Couple that with the issues we’ve seen all year and honestly I don’t think it would be an overreaction.

Football is a game of small margins. Well in 3 of the 5 losses it wasn’t really close. In 2 of them the team just didn’t produce in certain spots. But pretty much all of their wins were close games. I know it’s ifs and buts and what ifs but look at some of their wins.

The Minnesota game came down to the wire despite us being comfortable at one point. The Pats game was close. If Washington go for 2 they may well have beaten us before we got to OT. If KC had a reliable WR that probably ends a loss. Dallas choked and we got away with one. Like I know they are what ifs but just a couple of different outcomes to a single play and this team probably has 8 or 9 wins instead. This team has had problems all year that the wins covered up.

I don't disagree with any of those thoughts but I still think Lurie and Roseman will give him another year to try to get it right (likely with the mandate that he needs to hire new coordinators ... and hopefully with the added caveat that they have proven themselves in their respective positions and given the authority to scheme however they see fit).  But would it come as a complete surprise if he is canned if this team gets blown out next Monday?  Nope.  

24 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't disagree with any of those thoughts but I still think Lurie and Roseman will give him another year to try to get it right (likely with the mandate that he needs to hire new coordinators ... and hopefully with the added caveat that they have proven themselves in their respective positions and given the authority to scheme however they see fit).  But would it come as a complete surprise if he is canned if this team gets blown out next Monday?  Nope.  

Oh they will definitely give him an extra year I’m under no illusions there. I just think it’ll lead to a wasted year but we shall see.

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh they will definitely give him an extra year I’m under no illusions there. I just think it’ll lead to a wasted year but we shall see.

Really depends on what he does with the coordinator positions.  If he retains BJ as OC then I most definitely agree, it will be a wasted year (regardless of what he does at DC).

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Really depends on what he does with the coordinator positions.  If he retains BJ as OC then I most definitely agree, it will be a wasted year (regardless of what he does at DC).

Whilst BJ is an issue I think he’s only part of it. I actually wouldn’t be shocked if BJ ends up being a decent OC. Just not here in a Sirianni offense. 

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Whilst BJ is an issue I think he’s only part of it. I actually wouldn’t be shocked if BJ ends up being a decent OC. Just not here in a Sirianni offense. 

I am not suggesting BJ is THE problem with the offense ... not at all.  I think the problem is the league caught up as to how to defend against it (in much the same way we saw with Chip Kelly) and Sirianni doesn't have any counter moves or the creativity to adapt/adjust his scheme to something new.  That is where he needs help in the form of an experienced offensive mind to come in and implement new ideas.  He had that with Steichen (just like Doug had that with Reich).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well, if we assume that Sirianni is the one NOT taking effective action to remedy the situation, then his decision making comes under scrutiny.  So his lack of action has to be addressed or, at least, his thought process as to why he isn't taking action.   If Howie is the one who is letting it all play out, then Sirianni can't be blamed. 

Also, what I've noticed, is the team seems to have a lackadaisical attitude on the field and a frustrated, angry attitude on the sideline.  That's a sign that they're not buying into the game planning/play calling or the system.....and looking to vent.  And it doesn't seem like the coaches are listening.

I can't believe that Howie or Lurie aren't pressing Sirianni for some answers......the last 6 weeks have been humiliating and it's a bad way to go into the playoffs.  I don't know if Sirianni picked his coordinators or if Howie had a lot to say about it.  

If Sirianni picked Desai and Johnson, he should be held accountable for that and the lack of action with Johnson.  If Howie wanted those 2, then Sirianni is just doing what he's told.

Either way, Sirianni has created a good culture and generally had success.  But if they get embarrassed in the playoff game, I could see his coordinators getting fired but not him...yet.

If this continues into next year, he could get canned.  I think he's earned another year......but the last 6-8 weeks have put him under a closer microscope.....

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:40 AM, weko said:

Dallas Goddard today bravely revealed that Howie Roseman is in EVERY team meeting. GMs don’t do that. He is there to monitor the coaches making sure they install management’s game plans. 

I don't see a Saturday press conference for Dallas on the PE.com. Do you have a link for this?

No way they can bring Nick back.  The players have completely given up on him and rightfully so.

He doesn't know anything.  Not defense, not offense.  He can't make any adjustments.  He would be a below average high school coach.

The man is an idiot.  Lurie and Howie know he has to go.  I would be surprised if they retained him and would expect a losing record next year if they did and maybe a bottom 5 team

4 hours ago, weko said:

No way they can bring Nick back.  The players have completely given up on him and rightfully so.

If the players have quit on him then yeah there is no way they can bring him back because there is no way back from that. We can only speculate that they have quit on him though so it is up to Lurie and Howie to determine the actual situation. It looks to us that they have quit on him. This has been an unhappy team for weeks and then that debacle on Sunday gave us even more reason to believe they have quit on him. But we don't actually know for sure that they have,