We take forever to snap the ball maybe that's a problem?

opa-opa

That's something I noticed after watching the last few games.

We are always soooo SLOW getting to the line of scrimmage after a play. We never run hurry-up. We never do long counts. 

By the time we are lined up Hurts always has less than 5 seconds left. You and everyone else can predict the instant the ball gets hiked. 

It makes it so easy for the other team to time their blitzes, for example. 

• Like 1

One of many problems with this team. 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, opa-opa said:

We are always soooo SLOW getting to the line of scrimmage after a play. We never run hurry-up. We never do long counts. 

By the time we are lined up Hurts always has less than 5 seconds left. You and everyone else can predict the instant the ball gets hiked. 

yep good point. 

Its fine to do this when you want to control the game and run the clock down, but if you do it every snap it becomes predictable and easy to play against.

Like much of our problems - other teams have figured us out because theres little variation in anything they do

• Like 1

12 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Well, there are quite a few issues that stem from the bad playcalling that is giving defenses an edge.

In no particular order, the lack of diversity in formations, the lack of motion/shifts, lack of quick counts, lack of quick slants, the lack of misdirection, the lack of adjustment with blitzing defenses, the empty backfield, the lack of RBs in passing game, the complete lack of ability to run a screen pass, the idiotic WR screens in press coverage....that list goes on and on.

Johnson has proven he was promoted way too soon.....he's in over his head.  And until they address that by replacing him or bringing in an offensive consultant, this high school offense is what we're stuck with.

• Like 1

There's a long list of problems with the team.  Finding something very low on the list compared to many, many other things on the list is Classic Opa.

BhtN.gif

15 hours ago, opa-opa said:

true...I would love to see their "hurry up and lose" offense more often :-)

• Like 1

It’s because BJ calls the play, nick has to stare at the sky thinking about if that’s the right play, then he gives the all clear to Jalen, who has to translate it because of nicks need to say 100 words when 3 is all that’s necessary, then by that time there’s 5 seconds left for the players to make up their own play, no time to actually read the defense, and then snap the ball.  It’s maddening. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I believe there was a conscious decision to avoid using the up tempo offense later in the season simply because our defense has been so tired from playing so many snaps. But it has always been able to provide Sirianni's offense with a spark in the past. It will be interesting to see if we use this much more in the playoffs. I think we might see it as early as the 1st quarter. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Well, there are quite a few issues that stem from the bad playcalling that is giving defenses an edge.

In no particular order, the lack of diversity in formations, the lack of motion/shifts, lack of quick counts, lack of quick slants, the lack of misdirection, the lack of adjustment with blitzing defenses, the empty backfield, the lack of RBs in passing game, the complete lack of ability to run a screen pass, the idiotic WR screens in press coverage....that list goes on and on.

Johnson has proven he was promoted way too soon.....he's in over his head.  And until they address that by replacing him or bringing in an offensive consultant, this high school offense is what we're stuck with.

Last season all the RB's had a combined catch total of 48 with 262 yards receiving and 0 TD's. This year they had 74 total receptions, 454 yards and 1 TD. They actually have tried to get the RB's more involved in the pass game this year compared to last year. 

I went back and watched all of Hurts rushing TD's from last year. There were a handful when teams sent a blitz including QB draws (one in particular against the Bears). Sanders was also pretty good in blitz pick up and was a lead blocker for Hurts on one of his TD runs. Hurts has been nowhere near as dynamic running the ball. They're able to force him out of the pocket to try and make a throw on the run when last season he would have burst up the middle and punished teams with his legs.