Strategy Cardinals used against Eagles with on-side kick in Week 17 was correct

Wallyhorse

Very interesting theory on Week 17:

The video (link below) shows a view on why what the Cardinals did in Week 17, doing an onside kick with the score tied 28-28 with 5:00 to go was correct as it prevented the Eagles from running out the clock and kicking the game winner with no time on the clock:

NFL Week 17: Cardinals use BRILLIANT (and correct!) onsides kick to beat the Eagles 35-31.

To me it was just them not respecting the Eagles lol and they were right not to

I knew exactly in real time why they did it. If they recover, great! They can waste clock and bury us with a TD. If they didn’t, the short field limited the time we could use up. 

Didn't need to read the article to figure this. 

By a similar token, this was a big reason I was in favor of going for it on 4th and 1 on our side of the 50 in the Super Bowl against NE. It was best to maintain possession, but a turnover on downs would have set the Pats up with a short field, giving us a chance to keep enough time on the clock to respond if NE had scored to go up by 4 or 8. 

• Like 1

It was only correct because the coaches are idiots. They moved the ball then a penalty and 3 awful play calls back to back to back allowed them to do nothing.