Todd Monken (OC, Ravens OC) -- STAYING IN BALTIMORE

eaglesfan0075

I know there's a lot of excitement around Ben Johnson, the Lions OC as a prospective HC candidate, and rightfully so given how well they have played this year. However, Todd Monken is the OC for the #1 team in the AFC and the top rushing offense in the league, while helping Lamar Jackson reach career highs in completion percentage and passing yards.

Monken fits in the mold of prior Jeffrey Lurie hires as someone who doesn't have prior NFL HC experience. All of the Eagles hires under his tenure have been offensive minded coaches with the exception of Ray Rhodes. Monken's only HC experience was with Southern Miss from 2013-2015. He's had several years of NFL experience as a WR coach and OC on top of his extensive experience as a college OC, most notably serving as Georgia's OC/QBC from 2020-2022. 

Given that the Eagles are going to be committed to Jalen Hurts contractually for the next few seasons, it would be a logical move to bring in the guy that helped Lamar Jackson grow as a passer under his watch, while also commanding a strong run game. Both of these things are something the Eagles were lacking this season. It's no secret that Hurts thrived when the running game also thrived as a whole and was the identity of the offense.

Monken already has interviewed with the Chargers and Panthers for their HC positions and will likely have more options coming his way, especially if the Ravens go onto the Super Bowl this year and win it all. If we're strictly looking at guys that aren't retreads, Monken is on top of the wish-list from my standpoint.

Ben Johnson is an interesting option, but at age 37 with only 2 years of OC experience, he's had quite the rapid ascent as a HC candidate (not that different than when Sirianni was first brought in after 3 yrs as the Colts OC at age 39). He's a riskier choice in my opinion.

Of note, the Eagles interviewed Georgia DC Glenn Schumann last offseason for the DC job that ultimately went to Sean Desai. Schumann withdrew his name from consideration to stay at Georgia another year. Could Schumann now make the leap to the NFL if Monken becomes a HC?