Coaching Update

time2rock

Coaching Update

Posted: January 17th, 2024 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

Welcome to Day One of the offseason. We don’t have any definitive news, but there are some updates to share on players and coaches.

We’ll start with Nick Sirianni. He’s still the coach and it might stay that way.

image.png.4ec62ffed0971b6eaeec90ce546b5a80.png

This doesn’t make anything official, but it certainly points to Sirianni coming back. His meeting with Jeffrey Lurie will be crucial. Doug Pederson didn’t give good answers in his meeting after the 2020 season and Lurie fired him. Lurie understands there will be ups and downs. What he wants to know is if the current coach can fix the problems.

Sirianni gave generic answers in his press conferences. He will have to give detailed answers to Lurie. They will discuss changes on the staff and possible replacements. They will discuss scheme ideas. They will talk about the roster and thoughts on the 2024 team. Sirianni must articulate a plan for how to get the Eagles back to the top.

I think one of the keys will be him admitting to Lurie where he was wrong. If Sirianni says he was right to make the change at defensive coordinator, but it didn’t work due to this or that reason, Lurie should tell him to hit the bricks. Sirianni needs to say "I did what I thought was right, but it was the wrong move. I can see that now.” Coaches make mistakes. GMs make bad draft picks. Owners make bad hires. Admit the mistake and learn from it. If you can’t admit the mistake, that’s a problem.

Players came out strongly in favor of Sirianni coming back.

Player endorsements help, but aren’t a guarantee. Just because they like Sirianni doesn’t make keeping him the right decision. Again, it comes back to his answers on what went wrong and how he’s going to fix it.

One of the reasons I’m not pushing more aggressively for a coaching change is that I understand how hard it is to find good coaches.

A few hiring cycles ago, Adam Gase was the star assistant that everyone wanted. He turned out to be a terrible coach. Go a few years back and Brandon Staley was the coveted candidate. He was fired during the season after going 24-24 with the Chargers.

Even when you think you have a good coach there are questions. See Nick Sirianni. And Brian Daboll.

Daboll led the Giants to a 9-7-1 record and a playoff berth last year. The Giants fell to 6-11 in 2023. Beyond the record, things got very ugly in NY.

image.png.9ca1ef7e0c0c7c990839cdf1e0c95510.png

The GM had to get on the coaches headset for 4 games to see if Daboll was being out of line with his assistants. If the stories are true, Daboll was definitely out of line. I don’t blame Wink Martindale for wanting out.

There was serious heat on Sean McDermott six weeks ago. His team was 6-6 and struggling. A story came out detailing how McDermott used the 9/11 attacks as an example of good teamwork and communication a few years ago. You really wondered about his future. The 9/11 thing lingers, but has slid to the background as the Bills have now won six games in a row and look like a serious SB contender.

Sirianni has proven he can win. That does mean something. If you move on from him, you better have a couple of candidates you really want. Firing Sirianni as a way to show how mad you are at the disappointing finish doesn’t accomplish anything. Focus on solutions.

Jason Kelce might not be retiring after all.

He’s said each of the past few years that he likes to take some time and think about it. The time right after a game is one filled with strong emotions. That isn’t the time to make a life-changing decision.

You do that while sipping on a PRB and snacking on Funyuns.

Brandon Graham does want to return. I think the key with him will be cost. BG can be a solid role player, but the price has to be right.

image.png.be3cba41bc1c98117e8e1f594ce50e17.png

This doesn’t mean Cox is gone for sure. He played well this season. He will want good money for 2024 and the Eagles need to decide if they want to invest in an older veteran or if they would rather go with a younger player.

http://igglesblitz.com/2024/01/coaching-update-2/

If Sirianni is back (my god please no) then he better be bringing in a new OC and DC. If he brings back BJ then the guy needs to be marched out of Philly.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If Sirianni is back (my god please no) then he better be bringing in a new OC and DC. If he brings back BJ then the guy needs to be marched out of Philly.

If they bring the idiot back it just proves that Lurie is hugely meddling with the team and ordered the DC change and probably that his son's analytics dept provided the game plans and schemes.  We know for sure that Lurie is demanding the break but don't bend wimp defense.  That goes back years.  

We looking at 4-13 to maybe 7-10.  No good coach will want to be part of this organizational nightmare where the owner on Monday/Tuesday asks the coach why he didn't perform his son's plays as directed.  Hard to believe how bad an owner Lurie has become.  I guess it wasn't enough of a crash and burn for Jeff to change.  Maybe next year will make him realize he needs to leave the football decisions to football men.

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

IF Sirianni's future here is dependent on the plan he intends to present to Lurie to right this team as many have suggested, I have a hard time seeing Lurie buying in to BJ remaining in his position to run the offense.  But I will also say that if we do end up in that unfortunate position we should probably expect more of the same nonsense we observed this year to continue  next season and it will likely lead to an 8 win season at best and being Sirianni's last year here (meaning 2024 will be a throw away year).  

2 hours ago, weko said:

If they bring the idiot back it just proves that Lurie is hugely meddling with the team and ordered the DC change and probably that his son's analytics dept provided the game plans and schemes.  We know for sure that Lurie is demanding the break but don't bend wimp defense.  That goes back years.  

We looking at 4-13 to maybe 7-10.  No good coach will want to be part of this organizational nightmare where the owner on Monday/Tuesday asks the coach why he didn't perform his son's plays as directed.  Hard to believe how bad an owner Lurie has become.  I guess it wasn't enough of a crash and burn for Jeff to change.  Maybe next year will make him realize he needs to leave the football decisions to football men.

what concerns me that most is, are players like aj brown and smith are they are going to want out? is hurts going to want out? if they seriously run this back, you have to question that is lurie not the same owner like he once was from a mental standpoint? jerry jones was once a great owner then age caught up to him and he's making dumb mistakes, im getting that bad feeling it's happening with lurie and he is 72 years old.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

IF Sirianni's future here is dependent on the plan he intends to present to Lurie to right this team as many have suggested, I have a hard time seeing Lurie buying in to BJ remaining in his position to run the offense.  But I will also say that if we do end up in that unfortunate position we should probably expect more of the same nonsense we observed this year to continue  next season and it will likely lead to an 8 win season at best and being Sirianni's last year here (meaning 2024 will be a throw away year).  

Oh if both Sirianni and BJ are back then next year is going to be a real waste of time. I mean it’ll be a disaster and a ish show. I’m not behind Sirianni coming back but I’m accepting he will be but BJ HAS to go.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh if both Sirianni and BJ are back then next year is going to be a real waste of time. I mean it’ll be a disaster and a ish show. I’m not behind Sirianni coming back but I’m accepting he will be but BJ HAS to go.

IMG_0490.jpeg

On 1/20/2024 at 1:40 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If Sirianni is back (my god please no) then he better be bringing in a new OC ...

:ph34r:

Report: Chip Kelly drawing interest from multiple teams looking for an OC

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-chip-kelly-drawing-interest-from-multiple-teams-looking-for-an-oc

• Haha 1

Some of the names I've heard that I would be fine with:

Ron Rivera- DC

Josh McDaniels- OC (great offensive coordinator-please God, make this happen!)

Gregg Williams-DC

On 1/21/2024 at 8:11 AM, toughfighter83 said:

what concerns me that most is, are players like aj brown and smith are they are going to want out? is hurts going to want out? if they seriously run this back, you have to question that is lurie not the same owner like he once was from a mental standpoint? jerry jones was once a great owner then age caught up to him and he's making dumb mistakes, im getting that bad feeling it's happening with lurie and he is 72 years old.

That's a real possibility that Brown and Smith want out.  Why would they want to stay in a high school offense?  I don't think Goedert is all that happy either.