Eaglerick's First Mock 2024

Eaglerick55

Good afternoon all. Here is first attempt at 2024 mock. Includes cuts, signings, resignings, FA. We'll see how ideas play out over next couple of months.

Kelce retires. CRAP!!   Resign--BG, Swift, Mariota, Cunningham, Lovato, Mann, Bradley, Opeta, OZ

Release Slay and Bradberry as June 1 cuts. Cut Maddox, Byard.

Extensions--Reddick, Dickerson, Devante Smith(1 year earlier than necessary), Elliot

Move Garner to safety full-time.

Cap space--we have 21 mil at present. With cuts, resignings, and extensions, we should be around 35 mil in cap space. 10 mil for draft picks

1 major FA signing--top shelf safety--Winfield or Mckinney

1 or 2 minor signings--edge, OL

Draft--only 1 trade included

22. Quinyon Mitchell--CB--Toledo. My top CB target. Worried he will ball out at combine to jump into top 12.

50. Edgerrin Cooper--LB--Texas a & m. Dire need, obviously. BUT--if Tyler Nubin falls here, I will pick him and hope Cooper makes it 53. Would take Zinter at 97

53. Jackson Powers-Johnson--OG/OC-Oregon. Plays OG and can back up at OC. I like Steen more at backup RT rather than starting OG. For a pure guard, I would prefer Beebe here, but then would have to draft someone to be backup center. JPJ solves both at once.

97. Cole Bishop--safety--Utah. Brown will be out most-if not all of 2024. Will need quality safety depth

Trade--trade 169 and 177 to Houston for 123. Houston has 2 #4 picks and 0 #5. trade numbers match

123. Jermaine Burton--WR--Alabama. Solid WR depth.

146. Ray Davis--RB--Kentucky. #3 RB. Runs, catches, blocks. Does it all.

170. Jared Wiley--TE--TCU. 6'7" developmental TE

187. Austin Booker--Edge--Kansas. Developmental edge.

Comments, questions welcomed.

ER

• Like 1

Good job bud. I’ll be honest at this point I don’t love it as I’m not sure there’s enough in FA there but the draft looks pretty good and certainly addresses the defense.

According to OTC---cutting Slay and Bradberry as June 1 cuts create $0 dead cap money each.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:13 PM, Eaglerick55 said:

According to OTC---cutting Slay and Bradberry as June 1 cuts create $0 dead cap money each.

True but I'd cut Bradberry just to free up a roster spot if anything else.  He's cooked as a starting CB and he can't play special teams. 

Bradberry is a no-brainer cut. Question is what to do with Slay. I picked a first round CB to pair with Ringo as starting CB. I think Ringo can be pretty good. And the experience he got this year was crucial to his development. That leaves Ricks and Jobe as backup outside, and McPherson and off-suspension Rodgers as nickels. I feel pretty good about that group.

So, keeping Slay becomes a luxury roster spot we could utilize better elsewhere. And no dead cap is a bonus. Just IMO

Good read and a lot of thought put into this. 

There's much I agree with and then there's some I dont't. Let's start from the top. 

On 1/25/2024 at 1:18 PM, Eaglerick55 said:

Kelce retires. CRAP!!   Resign--BG, Swift, Mariota, Cunningham, Lovato, Mann, Bradley, Opeta, OZ

Hope Kelce doesn't but you're probably right. I would NOT resign Mariota, Cunningham, or Bradley. Opeta will likely get an offer we can't/won't match and if we keep OZ he's a #4 or 5. We're ont the same page withSwift, Lovato and Mann

• 1 major FA signing--top shelf safety--Winfield or Mckinney
  • 1 or 2 minor signings--edge, OL

I think we'll have the $'s for two big ones and some fill ins. I'm ok withthe safety but would add Chinn, Curl, and Savage to your list. The other would be Murray or White at LB

Release Slay and Bradberry as June 1 cuts. Cut Maddox, Byard.

Bradberry for sure. Slay - one more year. Maddox - no way and Byard absolutely. 

Draft - 

• 1 - go with one of the youngsters at CB. Draft BPA at G, DE or WR. I think Dallas Turner will be there - he's my guy
  • 2 - that leaves WR and G - WR Xavier Worthy is my new slot / speed receiver
  • 2 - your guy Cooper Beebe should be there
  • 3 - a safety it is. Bishop, Clark, Moore or Tykee Smith would all suit me 

I like your trade   -

• Burton as WR is fine with me
  • At RB my sleeper RB is Will Shipley who I think will slip 
  • I like the Wiley pick alot
  • Finally, since we drafted an edge and resigned BG, I'll pass on a DE. I think McKey will be the backup QB so let's take one.  Travis form Florida State 

THANKS AGAIN - GREAT READ !

From 2nd day of Seniorbowl practice:

Kentucky running back Ray Davis is phenomenal

Whether it was a full-extension, one-handed catch, a 70-yard touchdown or a devastating juke, Davis did it all on Wednesday. The 220 pounds tacked onto his 5-foot-8 frame make him a complete force of nature, and he made sure scouts took notice.

An accurate draft comparison would be Atlanta Falcons 2023 first-round pick Bijan Robinson. Both possess great power, explosiveness and balance. Davis still has holes in his game that Robinson did not have when entering the draft, but his ceiling is is too high to escape the early rounds. 

More Senior Bowl comments:

Payton Wilson, NC State 

Wilson also made ESPN’s top 100 list (13). In five years with the Wolfpack, Wilson had 403 tackles, 15 sacks and seven interceptions. His 138 tackles and 17.5 tackles for loss in 2023 were the most among any player in the ACC.

Of course, he’s suffered two torn ACLs and a season-ending shoulder injury in 2021 so some teams may be concerned about Wilson’s medical history, but it didn't hold him back in 2023. 

Wilson won the Chuck Bednarik Award as the Defensive Player of the Year and the Dick Butkus Award as Outstanding Linebacker.

Dean won the Dick Butkus Award in 2021 but has played sparingly in two years with the Eagles. As long as Wilson’s physical comes up clean, Philadelphia should give him serious consideration.

Cutting Maddox post June 1st I believe frees up ~ 7 million.  For as much as he’s been out, I think that happens.   Need to completely revamp the DB’s similar to when we drafted Lito, Sheldon Brown and Michael Lewis as our 1st 3 picks in ‘02

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RUEagle said:

Cutting Maddox post June 1st I believe frees up ~ 7 million.  For as much as he’s been out, I think that happens.   Need to completely revamp the DB’s similar to when we drafted Lito, Sheldon Brown and Michael Lewis as our 1st 3 picks in ‘02

Maddox is a good player when he’s on the field but he’s injured too much. If there’s a big cap saving to be had then got to take it.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 12:01 PM, RUEagle said:

Yeah, and all 3 sat while 3 pro-bowlers started in their place (Vincent, Taylor, Dawkins). That team went 12-4 and played in the conference championship. Competitive teams rarely start multiple untested rookies.

The lone exception took place in 1981 when the 49ers drafted:

• Round 1, Pick 8: Ronnie Lott, DB
  • Round 2, Pick 36: John Harty, DT
  • Round 2, Pick 40: Eric Wright, DB
  • Round 3, Pick 65: Carlton Williamson, DB
  • Round 5, Pick 121: Lynn Thomas, DB

The first 3 eventually started that season and Thomas was the nickleback.

Bill Walsh successfully cleaned house and they went 13-3...simply amazing.

P.S. This was before free agency and salary caps  Also, TE Charle Young talked his way off of the lowly Eagles and was traded to join a young QB named Montana.