What is the long term prognosis for the Eagles?

Procus

Are the Eagles looking good long term?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is the long term prognosis for the Eagles?

• Future is bright. Good young core, good coaching staff, good team management.
    • Future is murky. Aging key veterans with some good young players. Right tackle and center long term big concern. Wait and see how young talent develops
    • Dark skies ahead. Team is toast without Lane Johnson. I never saw an implosion out of nowhere the way the team imploded at the end of the season.
    • Other

On 2/15/2024 at 9:57 AM, NOTW said:

We all love Lane, he's a beast. And he's really not injured that much especially for his age, but when he does miss games the team has a losing record. I can understand not drafting his replacement as a 1st round OT yet, because then you waste a resource on a guy that might not play for a couple years. Unless they really love a guy who they think is special and a suitable replacement.

In the meantime, they really need a quality backup who can step in. Steen is probably going to be the RG correct? Driscoll isn't the guy. If Kelce retires Jurgens will probably do well enough at Center, but if Lane gets hurt and misses any games you have 3 O line positions with new guys (Jurgens, Steen, and backup RT). They need a free agent who has some starting experience to bring some depth and stability if there's injury. 

The best move to replace Lane may very well be in free agency.  Runyan was a stud for many years for the Eagles.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

The best move to replace Lane may very well be in free agency.  Runyan was a stud for many years for the Eagles.

Could be. They also got Brandon Brooks in free agency who was a great signing. It will come down to availability. If there is a quality RT available in free agency or trade and they think the guy is worth it, or if they love a player in the draft. They originally drafted Dickerson to be Center to replace Kelce and he ended up cementing himself as the LG. They do well with O line evaluation so I'm not worried either way. I think my preference would be to draft defense high this year and get a free agent lineman who is versatile for depth but primarily can play RT if needed. And see how this year goes with Lane. If he does miss a bunch of games then you at least have a capable backup who can start and you can evaluate if he should be the replacement starter, or draft someone the following year.

Ultimately, in their scouting if they come across the guy they want whether free agent or draft prospect, they'll do what it takes because they prioritize O line so well.

On 2/5/2024 at 11:05 AM, Procus said:

Point was that the roster is not only built through the draft - it is also built through free agency.  We never would have won the SB without good free agent signings.

With Howie's misses in the draft they depend on free agency to mask his draft F-ups, that's why the Eagles are up one year and down the next two, those old-arse FAs call it quits. 

Sustained winning will only be sustained when Howie is removed from all personnel decisions.

• Like 1

OT is supposingly deep in this draft.  If so, good players will still be there in 2-3 rounds.  Also help is that the OL coaches are able to spot and develop OL talents.  Defense needs more help from this draft.  Priorities are CB, DL S/LB.  I don't think the team changes their preference not to put a lot of resources on LB.  Likely to use who are already on the roster, FAs and mid- to low rounds picks.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No such thing as a long-term prognosis in the nfl. Time and time again we see teams go from the basement to the top from one year to the next. Did anyone think the eagles had a great long term outlook after the 2016 season? Or after the 2020 season?

After the Wentz debacle and Doug being fired, everyone was saying dark days were ahead. Then the very next year they’re in the playoffs, and the year after that in the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1