Cox,Kelce,Lane and BG

uncphillyfan

With these four leaders in the locker room,  how did they let last season happen? Did they just sit back and not say anything and just let it go. That is the biggest mystery of the 2023 season. I still can’t believe what I watched the last 7 weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing they can say would have changed who we had playing at linebacker or db.

• Like 1

not their fault when the HC is a clown. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I respect them and don’t blame them for it, but it also speaks to how overstated the impact of their impending loss on the locker room has been.

• Like 2

IMO, the locker room stuff is BS. The NFL is not High School or College Football.

Performance in practice, and on game days, is what matters. Who's more prepared?? 

These players and Coaches get paid millions of dollars. They shouldn't need a "culture" or rah rah sheet to do their jobs. 

//end old man rant..

• Like 4

Who even cares anymore just move forward. I’m glad we got all new coaches and hopefully a full new look.

• Like 1

Move on to next season

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 3:33 PM, LacesOut said:

Performance in practice, and on game days, is what matters. Who's more prepared?? 

Story has it they don't practice worth a damn as mandated by the FO due to a fear of injuries. 

Imagine no starters playing in the preseason, it makes no sense, it's like a boxer who shadow boxes during training and only does the real thing when he climbs into the ring.

12 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Story has it they don't practice worth a damn as mandated by the FO due to a fear of injuries. 

Imagine no starters playing in the preseason, it makes no sense, it's like a boxer who shadow boxes during training and only does the real thing when he climbs into the ring.

No starting players playing in the preseason makes total sense, this board would crash if we lost a Lane Johnson or AJ Brown in a meaningless game.

Let’s not forget that the Eagles were 10-1 to start the season, this only became an issue with Hargrave’s comment during the collapse. They were NFC champs and 3 points away from winning a SB a year ago using the soft practices concept.

The tougher practices really helped SF to win the SB this year, lol.

1 hour ago, Mr_Philly said:

No starting players playing in the preseason makes total sense, this board would crash if we lost a Lane Johnson or AJ Brown in a meaningless game.

Let’s not forget that the Eagles were 10-1 to start the season, this only became an issue with Hargrave’s comment during the collapse. They were NFC champs and 3 points away from winning a SB a year ago using the soft practices concept.

The tougher practices really helped SF to win the SB this year, lol.

Pretty sure we did lose AJ Brown in a meaningless game.

13 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Pretty sure we did lose AJ Brown in a meaningless game.

Read EagleVA’s. post, he was saying that we don’t play our starters in preseason games and my response was this board would crash if we lost someone like Lane Johnson or AJ Brown for the season in a meaningless game. 

25 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

Read EagleVA’s. post, he was saying that we don’t play our starters in preseason games and my response was this board board would crash if we lost someone like Lane Johnson or AJ Brown for the season in a meaningless game. 

I know the discussion was about a preseason game, but we still did lose him in a meaningless game.

I don’t think preseason/soft practices are an issue. They weren’t an issue in 2022, people are just trying to play the blame game.

The real answer people seem to not want to accept is we were not good enough in the first place to be a 10-1 team, we just got incredibly lucky over and over again. We lost to NYJ, probably should have lost to NE if not for early weather luck with turnovers, should have lost to MIN if not for JJ’s fluke touchback rule, should have lost to WAS at least once if not twice. Those are teams on par or worse than NYG, ARI, SEA. It was a borderline miracle the way we beat Dallas, the way we beat BUF. We were sucking all year.

When the luck ran out, the realization hits that we’re not that good and morale declines significantly. Good schemes can overcome roster issues, we’ve been doing that for 25 years. But No amount of leadership can overcome bad schemes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

.Gotcha, practice is meaningless.

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I don’t think preseason/soft practices are an issue. They weren’t an issue in 2022, people are just trying to play the blame game.

The real answer people seem to not want to accept is we were not good enough in the first place to be a 10-1 team, we just got incredibly lucky over and over again. We lost to NYJ, probably should have lost to NE if not for early weather luck with turnovers, should have lost to MIN if not for JJ’s fluke touchback rule, should have lost to WAS at least once if not twice. Those are teams on par or worse than NYG, ARI, SEA. It was a borderline miracle the way we beat Dallas, the way we beat BUF. We were sucking all year.

When the luck ran out, the realization hits that we’re not that good and morale declines significantly. Good schemes can overcome roster issues, we’ve been doing that for 25 years. But No amount of leadership can overcome bad schemes. 

Perfectly said.

I think if there was any dissension in the locker room that it was due to the schemes on both sides of the ball putting players in bad spots. A lot of fans blame the player when a scheme is inadequate or the player is being asked to do something that is not to their strengths.

Many times last year, the lack of offensive creativity and play calling put Jalen in positions where he had to put the team on his back and make exceptional plays to win games. It was sustainable only because of his talent and when he had a down game it failed completely. When he got injured and we needed to be able to take some of the pressure off him we had no plan.

The players have to believe in the system for it to work but when the system continuously breaks down, and leaves them holding the blame, it's understandable that they lost faith.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2024 at 1:52 PM, Vileborg said:

I think if there was any dissension in the locker room that it was due to the schemes on both sides of the ball putting players in bad spots. A lot of fans blame the player when a scheme is inadequate or the player is being asked to do something that is not to their strengths.

Many times last year, the lack of offensive creativity and play calling put Jalen in positions where he had to put the team on his back and make exceptional plays to win games. It was sustainable only because of his talent and when he had a down game it failed completely. When he got injured and we needed to be able to take some of the pressure off him we had no plan.

The players have to believe in the system for it to work but when the system continuously breaks down, and leaves them holding the blame, it's understandable that they lost faith.

There's always speculation, rumors and things but you have to look at the actions the team takes. So far it's been coaching. Clearly they brought in two experienced coordinators and some new position coaches, some with coordinator experience themselves. We'll see what roster changes come and that will answer some questions as well. 

So many names and faces to blame. There were several failings with leadership last season. 

On 2/26/2024 at 5:45 PM, NOTW said:

There's always speculation, rumors and things but you have to look at the actions the team takes. So far it's been coaching. Clearly they brought in two experienced coordinators and some new position coaches, some with coordinator experience themselves. We'll see what roster changes come and that will answer some questions as well. 

It'll be interesting to see whether Byard and Leonard survive, given how bad the defensive unit was as a whole, I wonder if both might be closer to surviving on the roster than people think, I doubt Fangio can make much of an assessment of anyone on the defense based on last year, except maybe Bradberry, you can't coach back a yard of pace.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:49 AM, uncphillyfan said:

With these four leaders in the locker room,  how did they let last season happen? Did they just sit back and not say anything and just let it go. That is the biggest mystery of the 2023 season. I still can’t believe what I watched the last 7 weeks. 

I'd blame them if they were playcallers

Thought this was gonna be a "who stays, who goes" kinda thread...boy was I wrong.:crazy:

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It'll be interesting to see whether Byard and Leonard survive, given how bad the defensive unit was as a whole, I wonder if both might be closer to surviving on the roster than people think, I doubt Fangio can make much of an assessment of anyone on the defense based on last year, except maybe Bradberry, you can't coach back a yard of pace.

It's interesting because they still have the talent for a Super Bowl window. They don't exactly have to clean house. On offense the roster is mostly set, moreso than the defense which needs a lot more.

I think trimming the fat on defense would be good: Bradberry, Byard, Shaq, Maddox, Cunningham, Morrow, etc. Between free agency and their draft picks they should be able to add EDGE, 2-3 LBs and some secondary help. I do think there's potential among the young corners. I don't know if one of them should start day 1 opposite Slay. Drafting a 1st rounder I'd do that, or a decent veteran free agent and then if one of the young guys steals his job so be it. 

It will also be interesting to see how the new coordinators influence the roster decisions based on their schemes. With the right moves, this team should be in the NFC Championship game again.

And Siri needs to really examine himself. His coaching, decisions, demeanor. I don't mind passion and excitement, but you have to be professional and be able to contain it at the right times. 

9 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

In a way it's better he goes out like this rather than hang around refusing to accept a move to a rotational role, we have decent young DT's with starting experience it's time to see if they can step it up to being 'The Man' rather then someone who goes into his stance next to the man.

The QB can't be too happy about this. Having a new center could mean the o line takes a step back. Could spell Bad news for Hurts.