3 thoughts: Haason Reddick receives permission to 'seek a trade'

time2rock

3 thoughts: Haason Reddick receives permission to 'seek a trade'

image.png.a9ef12fe31e24abc6d43e4728497513a.png

Just about five hours before Super Bowl LVIII is set to kick, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that Eagles' top pass rusher Haason Reddick has received permission to seek a trade and "could land elsewhere."

Mike Garafolo adds that Reddick is seeking a "big payday somewhere."

Reddick, 29, is entering the final year of his contract, a three-year, $45 million deal he signed with his hometown Philadelphia Eagles in March of 2022.

The Camden, NJ native had a career-high 16.0 sacks in 2022 and five forced fumbles, plus another 11.0 sacks in 2023. Reddick added 3.5 sacks in three playoff games during the Eagles' run to the Super Bowl last year.

94WIP's Eliot Shorr-Parks has three thoughts on the Reddick news:

1. Allowing him to seek a trade doesn't mean he is definitely gone. Possible him and his agent talk to other teams, find the best deal is from the Eagles and he comes back. It makes sense for Eagles to allow him to look around. This means he knows next season he is playing on the best contract he could get.

2. The Reddick contract has been an issue for over a year. He played last season on a contract where he was underpaid and he knew it. The fact he didn't hold out and played is a credit to him. Bringing him back on the final year of this current deal probably isn't good for either side. He needs either a new deal or a new team.

3. Losing Reddick would be a massive loss for the Eagles. He is their best defensive player at a critically important position. The chances they acquire a player as good as him for next season are extremely small. Money and potential compensation aside, bottom line is if Reddick is gone the Eagles defense is in trouble.

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/eagles-haason-reddick-receives-permission-trade-nfl-defense

This is the problem I have with that take about playing a season underpaid... A player signs a contract to come to a team that uses him differently that actually helps his game and the team, now the player feels he's worth more. Just using Reddick as an example, he was crap in Arizona, terrible.. Carolina gets him, uses him different and he has success,

then we sign him to a good contract, highest for him and he has a great YEAR...then what, he"s now underpaid...BS.. he did his job. So when said player's number dip and 

does player's salary go down..NO. Keith Jackson started this crap about outperforming his contract but all he did was his job. He caught the ball when it was thrown to him, 

he didn't block for crap but he caught the ball...a TE job is to catch the ball AND block, he did one and demanded more money. Hassan job is to rush the QB , dirupt his life and get sacks..he doesn't play the run overly well so what do we pay him 2-2.5 million per sack? there rant over.

With all that said I think he wants an extention and perhaps so does Howie that will lower his annual cap hit which is way to much.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

With all that said I think he wants an extention and perhaps so does Howie that will lower his annual cap hit which is way to much.

And ultimately this is the only way he comes back. I’m sure Howie wants him back but it has to be on a lower cap hit. And we know Reddick wants more money. Maybe they find a way but at this point I’m not sure they do.

Ultimately the organisation made this the situation a year ago when they decided not to restructure / extend his deal. If they weren’t willing to do it at that time then there’s no way they can do it now. He’s a year older, will be 30 in September and this defense needs to get younger and faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And ultimately this is the only way he comes back. I’m sure Howie wants him back but it has to be on a lower cap hit. And we know Reddick wants more money. Maybe they find a way but at this point I’m not sure they do.

Ultimately the organisation made this the situation a year ago when they decided not to restructure / extend his deal. If they weren’t willing to do it at that time then there’s no way they can do it now. He’s a year older, will be 30 in September and this defense needs to get younger and faster.

Maybe there were discussions last year about an extension to lower that cap hit but maybe Reddick and his agent were asking for more $ than Howie felt he could do (taking all things into consideration ... the limited available cap space (relatively speaking), the need to sign DeVonta and Dickerson to extensions, having run out of options to rework contracts of others with higher cap hits to create additional cap space, etc.).  Have to believe there have been discussions between both parties and it was made known what it would take to get Reddick inked to a new deal ... granting permission to seek a trade doesn't just come out of nowhere.  

• Like 1