Valentine's Day Mock

Slade

When does an 11-6 season not really feel like an 11-6 season? 2023 and I hope to never see the like of it again. It took some time to allow the emotional disgust to wear off so that I could really try to figure out where the Eagles are going. To be honest I'm really liking the coordinator hires and the assistants to this point and I believe just having competence there will dramatically improve the team. Sirriani is still a huge question though.

The Eagles must get younger and develop that youth correctly, there is a lot of top young talent on the team already they just need the right coaches. Howie is going to have to make some damn hard choices and separate his emotions from his decisions by not bringing back veterans past their prime for top dollar.

Over the cap project the Eagles to have 20.2 million in cap space.

Cut/Let Go:

1. Jason Kelce OC - He retires as one of the best and certainly an Eagle fan favorite for all time! 2.4 million cap savings

2. Brandon Graham Edge - In a 3-4 he is pretty much useless and he is let go. 1.5 million cap saving

3. James Bradberry CB - He's burnt as toast. Post June 1st cut designation. 0 cap hit

4. Kevin Byard S - Clearly a bad trade on Howie's part and not worth the coin. 13 million cap savings

5. Avonte Maddox CB - Can't ever stay healthy and now is at the age when corners decline. Post cut designation 7.1 million cap savings

Re-Signings/Extensions: 44+/- million to work with

1. Fletcher Cox DE/DT - Now in a 3-4 and with being awfully thin at DE in this system and with a veteran who has played in it already IMO it only makes sense to bring him back if the price is right. Fletcher still has bit left in the tank and will be huge for the rotation. 1 year 8 million

2. Josh Sweat Edge/OLB - He's got the versatility and pass rush skills to play from the strong side linebacker position where I believe he would thrive. 3 years 42 million extension that frees up 2.5 million in cap for 2024

3. Devonta Smith WR - The savvy route runner has to most reliable hands on the team and is key long term asset for this offense and team. 4 years 64 million extension that frees up 1.8 million million in cap for 2024

4. Landon Dickerson LG - Already one of the top at his position and only getting better with age, a mauler who dominating in the run and damn good in pass protection. 4 years 45 million extension that frees up 1 million in cap for 2024

5. Sua Opeta OG - Solid back ups are valuable and he's proved his worth. 1 year 2.5 million

6. Jake Elliott K - The man has the golden leg who can be relied upon to come through in clutch situations. 4 years 24 million extension that frees up 2 million in cap space for 2024.

7. Brandon Mann - Brandon was a pleasant surprise for the special teams this year and played himself into a contract, 1 year 1 million

Trade!! Houston defense is on the rise and look to add firepower to it. They offer #59 and #124 for Hassan Reddick and the Texans give him his mega deal, and it frees up 16 million in cap space for 2024 for the Eagles. The defense is going to need to be drastically rebuilt and tying up so much in an aging albeit still great player when that cap space can be spread around is my justification for this move.

Free Agency: 65+/- million to play with

1. L'Jarius Sneed CB - Corner has become a liability either by design, age or both, and the problem must be addressed if this team thinks it can compete for a championship. L'Jarius is young 25 just entering his prime, he's a strong cover corner who plays with a chip on his shoulder. Versatile he can play outside or in the slot who shows top end ability and football IQ to transition when needed. A physical player he'll challenge bigger receivers not shy of mixing it up with an opponent. Stout in defending the run and rushing the passer he's a complete corner. 4 years 75 million.

2. Xavier McKinney FS - Howie steals a top young talent away from a division rival weakening them while helping to solidify a below average unit. Xavier like L'Jarius is only 25, but he has far more athletic ability and versatility able to play the center-field, in the box or even the slot he can be moved all over. He also is known to have a high football IQ and field toughness he takes effective angles and tackles extremely well. 4 years 52 million 

3. Jordyn Brooks ILB - In a 3-4 linebacker is a key component and clearly the defenses biggest weakness and opposing offenses repeatedly exploited them in 2023. Jordyn has the physical traits, range and instincts to be a disruptive force in the middle. Both effective in coverage and run defense he should thrive next to Dean on the inside with both being very astute players. 3 years 18 million.

4. Curtis Samuel WR - The slot has been unreliable for Hurts for far too long now and adding a another crafty route runner that can be relied on across the middle will be huge for him. Curtis would be a massive upgrade for three receiver sets commanding attention and respect. He's still got strong reliable hands and amazing quickness whose dangerous in open space. 2 years 12 million.

5. Teddy Bridgewater QB - A solid veteran back is a need since Mckee is far from ready IMO. 1 year 6 million.

Draft:

1#22 Amarius Mims RT/RG - It will come as no surprise that if a talent like Mims falls to here Howie will pounce. Amarius a former five star recruit oozes with rare physical and athletic traits being 6-7 340 lbs with an 85" wingspan and very good speed he's got elite potential. A beast in both pass protection and create massive running lanes for the backs behind he's also got the versatility to pay at guard also and that's where he will start. Mims and Dickerson would be a formidable tandem at guard until Mims takes over after Johnson retires in 2-3 years. He's extremely raw having only played in a handful of games but his potential is rare and undeniable.

Trade!

The Eagles package #50, #97 & #170 to the Titans for #38

2.#38 Tyler Nubin SS - The secondary was quite an issue last and one issue was keeping guys on the field Howie tried late to help the depth but failed. Tyler is play-maker who shows an excellent ability to read and react while also showing explosive closing speed. A strong downhill tackler he is more than willing to square up against the runner, and he takes crisp angles. His coverage skills are amazing and has knack for generating turn overs.

2.#53 Edgerrin Cooper LB - Linebacker and especially it's depth is still a concern and needs addressing. Edgerrin is an athletic monster who has the speed and range to run with TE's or just be able to relied upon to cover deep zone. In run defense he reads plays quickly attacking running lanes and showing tremendous tackling ability. He can also be relied upon to spy the QB with the ability to mirror or just flat out rush them.

Trade!

Arizona package #71 & #105 for the #59

3.#71 Trey Benson RB - In Moore's offense bigger backs seem to be what produces best for him and currently that guy ain't here. Trey is not only a big back but he's also an explosive runner with top end speed if he gets past the first line look out. A physical who almost looks for contact will add a new dynamic missing from last years roster, he will be critical in short and goal line situations.

4.#105 Jermaine Burton WR - Wide receiver is still relatively thin even with the addition of Samuel. Jermaine offers the home run threat with elite speed that can destroy deep coverage, he'd be perfect on the outside whose threat will open it up across the middle for others.

4.#124 Dalin Holker TE - Goedert is a beast but he's often injured and his back ups are less then stellar. Dalin has strong hands runs good routes and comes up clutch at the biggest moments. Shows very good blocking ability both in pass and run.

5.#145 Jordan Jefferson NT - Needed rotational depth who can hold the line and stop the run Jordan can do all of that.

5.#171 Drake Nuggent OC - Center depth is a need especially when you guy replacing an Eagles great. 

Trade!

Howie send #178 for a 2025 4th. Typical lol

6.#184 Cedric Gray LB - Another infusion of much needed athletic talent for depth.

6.#189 Rasheen Ali RB - A speedy back that's dangerous in the passing attack especially screens.

Depth:

QB: Hurts, Bridgewater, McKee

RB: Benson, Gainwell, Ali

TE: Goedert, Holker, Calcaterra

WR: Brown, Smith, Samuel, Burton, Covey

LT: Mailata, Steen

LG: Dickerson, Opeta

OC: Jurgens, Nuggent

RG: Mims, F. Johnson

RT: Johnson, Clark

LDE: Carter, Cox

NT: Davis, Jefferson

RDE: Williams, Tuipulotu, Ojomo

WLB: Cooper, Gray

ILB: Brooks, Dean

SLB: Sweat, Smith

CB: Sneed, Slay, Ringo, Ricks, Jobe

NB: Rodgers

FS: McKinney, Brown

SS: Nubin, Blackenship

K: Elliott

P: Mann

Breakdown:

Offense - This side of the field on paper should be a top 5 unit with weapons across the board protected by an offensive line that should still be top ten. Adding two receivers that are vertical threats both inside and on the outside should add multiple big play opportunities. Having a true three down RB that will enable the offense to impose it's will opening up all types of options will be huge. Drafting a true TE2 will also just open up more of a diverse playbook that Moore will bring. Hurts has no excuse but to excel with what is being put around him and i highly expect him to.

Defense - Gets a near complete makeover and rightfully so because this unit has been a joke since the second half of the Super Bowl. The front three should be stout against the run and have solid depth to stay fresh and creating holes for a totally revamped linebacker corp filled with real talent to cause some actual damage. A vastly upgraded secondary with a new young veteran CB1, FS, NB and a talented rookie at SS this unit will have a lot of competition. As a whole I would expect this unit to struggle early and often but if they can even become mediocre that would be a huge improvement with up seven new starters potentially.

Special Teams - Already a solid unit it will get a nice infusion of young talent eager to prove themselves. Coverage and blocking should have the athletic horses to decide games in some cases. The kickers should still be reliable with Mann hoping to prove that he is legit and can be relied upon long term. Returners will have multiple options outside of Covey and could present them with interesting options.

• Like 2

Definitely a Valentine’s mock cause I fell in love with it!

Quite literally a perfect offseason and draft. Only nitpicking…don’t know if you’d have enough quality passrushers and Cedric Gray will never ever last that long. That kid might not even make it till the middle of the 3rd IMO.

Overall an awesome mock and great read as always! 👊🏻

• Like 3

Nice off seaso for sure...couple nit picky thing myself and I have to agree with Ray75 Gray won't get out of the 3rd. 

Hate Bridgewater as backup..he gets injured being the backup in limited time. Love the Curtis Samuel as the slot WR, I've been saying that myself.

I can't see Howie not letting BG finish this his final season here...and i think BG will take close to Vet minimum, to do so but a lot of nice moves.

• Like 2

A lot to like, I would be all for the free agents you signed but I don’t see Sneed hitting the market Kc finds a way to keep him. Not sure about McKinney either could see him getting tug but he does have a decent injury history so right up the Eagles alley! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sure this would be ideal. I'd be thrilled. And we'd only be about $50 million over the cap.