Haason Reddick denies he requested trade, still wants more $$$$$

time2rock

Haason Reddick denies he requested trade, still wants more $$$$$

By Reuben Frank  Published February 13, 2024

Haason Reddick said Tuesday he never asked for a trade and wants to spend the rest of his career with the Eagles.

NFL Network reported Sunday that Reddick, whose three-year contract expires after the 2024 season, had requested permission to seek a trade.

But Reddick posted on the former Twitter site X Tuesday that this isn’t the case, although he did seem to indicate he knows a trade is possible considering his contract situation:

"Never asked for a trade. However, I understand it’s a business. Preparing for whatever’s next.”

image.thumb.png.b2dca8ce6fdd3d615f6a9a54f87a2ce2.png

Reddick signed a three-year, $45 million free agency contract with the Eagles before the 2022 season, and he’s due $14.25 million in base salary in 2024 with a cap figure of $21.377 million.

But he’s outplayed that deal in his first two years here. 

Reddick had 27.0 sacks in 2022 and 2023, plus 3 ½ more in the 2022 postseason. The only players with more sacks since the start of 2022 are Myles Garrett (30), Nick Bosa (29) and Micah Parsons (27.5). But Reddick is only the 21st-highest-paid edge rusher in the league based on average annual salary, according to Spotrac.

Edge rushers with Reddick’s level of production generally earn between $22 and $24 million per year, so it’s understandable that he wants a restructure or extension. But the Eagles don’t appear to be in a rush to pay that sort of money to a guy who turns 30 in September and dropped from 16 to 11 sacks this past year.

Reddick told Jordan Schultz of Bleacher Report he wants to stay in Philadelphia.

"I would like to get an extension done at home,” the South Jersey native and former Temple star said. "At no point did I ever tell the organization I want to be traded.

"This is home for me. I was born and raised here. Two of the most fun years playing football in my life came here. I’ve cherished being an Eagle.”

image.thumb.png.d09ef7f73a1ec496df225c41fd1b0a7b.png

Schultz also reported that the Eagles actually told Reddick’s agent they could seek a trade, which they obviously wouldn’t do if they wanted him here at market value.

Often, trade conversations have more to do with establishing a player’s value and determining potential compensation than actually moving the player. 

Eagles general manager Howie Roseman could be wary of giving a player about to turn 30 a multi-year deal in the $45 to $50 million range after seeing James Bradberry decline from 2nd-team all-pro in 2022 to one of the worst corners in the league this past year after turning 30. 

And Reddick’s performance did drop off late in the season, with no sacks in his last five games after 11 in his previous 10 games. But then again, everybody on the roster dropped off the second half of the year and his decline could have been due to coaching issues and the general malaise that infected the team late in the season.

Adding to the equation is the fact that the Eagles are very thin at edge looking toward 2024. Josh Sweat, who has 25 sacks the last three years, is also due to become a free agent after the 2024 season, Brandon Graham turns 36 in April and is a free agent now with an uncertain future, and Nolan Smith was not productive as a rookie 1st-round pick.

Garrett and Reddick are the only players with double-digit sacks in each of the last four seasons. Reddick’s 50 ½ since 2020 are 4th-most in the league.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/haason-reddick-denies-requested-trade-still-wants-more-money/564854/

This is a really tricky one. He’s still a really good player (Top 10 at his position) but he is about to turn 30… Not sure we can afford to pay him what he’s likely going to want. But then we need a decent return in a trade and I’m not sure we are going to get that either.

As this article points out, after this year, we just have Nolan Smith at edge/DE so we need another DE in the for the long run, potentially through a day one or two pick this year or next.  However, there don’t seem to be a lot of great DEs and edge players in this year’s draft. So, if we can extend Reddick for $17-$18 MM a year, great. We also reduce this year’s cap hit to bring in more in free agency by extending him.  

Alternatively, in a trade, if we can get a good day two pick plus maybe another mid round conditional pick next year if he gets double digit sacks in 2024, that’s ok too, so we can start working on getting another starter and maybe a developmental DE/edge in the next two years.  If we don’t like the choices in the draft this year, we’d have to rely on Nolan Smith stepping up after his red shirt year along with Sweat and Graham and some free agent depth - maybe even Derek Barnett.  

12 hours ago, eggs said:

So, if we can extend Reddick for $17-$18 MM a year, great. We also reduce this year’s cap hit to bring in more in free agency by extending him.  

I wouldn’t put anything past Howie but to get Reddick on that kind of cap number would be seriously impressive. He’s going to want money similar to those of the top 10 edge rushers in the league and that’s going to put him mid $20M’s.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn’t put anything past Howie but to get Reddick on that kind of cap number would be seriously impressive. He’s going to want money similar to those of the top 10 edge rushers in the league and that’s going to put him mid $20M’s.

Low 20s.  He's not going to get top 5 $.  Those below that are in the $17-22M range.

2023 NFL edge rusher salary rankings

Here are the edge rusher salary rankings based on average annual value, according to Over The Cap.

1. Nick Bosa, San Francisco 49ers: $34 million (5 years, $170 million)

2. T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers: $28 million (4 years, $112 million)

3. Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers: $27 million (5 years, $135 million)

4. Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns: $25 million (5 years, $125 million)

5 (tie). Khalil Mack, Los Angeles Chargers: $23.5 million (6 years, $141 million)

5 (tie). Maxx Crosby, Las Vegas Raiders: $23.5 million (4 years, $94 million)

7. Bradley Chubb, Miami Dolphins: $22 million (5 years, $110 million)

8. Trey Hendrickson, Cincinnati Bengals: $21 million (1 year, $21 million)

9. Von Miller, Buffalo Bills: $20 million (6 years, $120 million)

10 (tie). Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints: $17.5 million (3 years, $52.5 million)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Low 20s.  He's not going to get top 5 $.  Those below that are in the $17-22M range.

2023 NFL edge rusher salary rankings

Here are the edge rusher salary rankings based on average annual value, according to Over The Cap.

1. Nick Bosa, San Francisco 49ers: $34 million (5 years, $170 million)

2. T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers: $28 million (4 years, $112 million)

3. Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers: $27 million (5 years, $135 million)

4. Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns: $25 million (5 years, $125 million)

5 (tie). Khalil Mack, Los Angeles Chargers: $23.5 million (6 years, $141 million)

5 (tie). Maxx Crosby, Las Vegas Raiders: $23.5 million (4 years, $94 million)

7. Bradley Chubb, Miami Dolphins: $22 million (5 years, $110 million)

8. Trey Hendrickson, Cincinnati Bengals: $21 million (1 year, $21 million)

9. Von Miller, Buffalo Bills: $20 million (6 years, $120 million)

10 (tie). Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints: $17.5 million (3 years, $52.5 million)

If you look at those salaries and just last year’s production, Reddick does not necessarily deserve $20 MM a year. He had one 16 sack year in 2022 but he had 11 sacks in 2021 and 2023.

1. T.J. Watt (19) | Pittsburgh Steelers LB

2. Josh Allen (17.5) | Jacksonville Jaguars OLB

3. Trey Hendrickson (17.5) | Cincinnati Bengals DE

4. Khalil Mack (17) | Los Angeles Chargers OLB

5. Danielle Hunter (16.5) | Minnesota Vikings OLB

6. Maxx Crosby (14.5) | Las Vegas Raiders DE

7. Myles Garrett (14) | Cleveland Browns DE

8. Micah Parsons (14) | Dallas Cowboys LB

9. Justin Madubuike (13) | Baltimore Ravens DT

10. Jonathan Greenard (12.5) | Houston Texans DE

11. Denico Autry (11.5) | Tennessee Titans DL

12. Kayvon Thibodeaux (11.5) | New York Giants OLB

13. Aidan Hutchinson (11.5) | Detroit Lions DL

14. Bradley Chubb (11) | Miami Dolphins LB

15. Haason Reddick (11) | Philadelphia Eagles OLB

16. George Karlaftis (10.5) | Kansas City Chiefs DE

17. Chris Jones (10.5) | Kansas City Chiefs DT

18. Leonard Floyd (10.5) | Buffalo Bills DE

19. Harold Landry III (10.5) | Tennessee Titans OLB

20. Nick Bosa (10.5) | San Francisco 49ers DL

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently we have made an offer to Reddick in the low 20s (as expected).  Hopefully they find some middle ground and get something done.  He is our best defensive player and still playing extremely well.

IMG_0018.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

Apparently we have made another to Reddick in the low 20s (as expected).  Hopefully they find some middle ground and get something done.  He is our best defensive player and still playing extremely well.

IMG_0018.jpeg

Seems like the reports suggest we aren’t too far apart so we may end up getting it done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Seems like the reports suggest we aren’t too far apart so we may end up getting it done.

I can’t imagine we won’t … they’d be stupid to not get this done.  He’s by far our best defensive player and still on top of his game.  But I'll never think anything is a 100% certainty with this organization.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

I can’t imagine we won’t … they’d be stupid to not get this done.  He’s by far our best defensive player and still on top of his game.  But I'll never think anything is a 100% certainty with this organization.  

I do think the concerns around his age are fair especially given what happened to Bradberry. Right now yes the obvious answer is to give him a new contract but we all thought that with Bradberry.

1 hour ago, weko said:

Would love to trade this guy for a 3

The only way I'd want to trade him is if we are unable to reach an agreement on an extension that makes sense for a player at his age (and taking into consideration his production ... he's in the 5-10 range at his position ... not top 5).  If we were to deal him I would hope for more than a 3 though.  He only has 1 year remaining on a friendly contract, plays a position that is valued highly across the league, and as I stated, is top 10 at his position.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

The only way I'd want to trade him is if we are unable to reach an agreement on an extension that makes sense for a player at his age (and taking into consideration his production ... he's in the 5-10 range at his position ... not top 5).  If we were to deal him I would hope for more than a 3 though.  He only has 1 year remaining on a friendly contract, plays a position that is valued highly across the league, and as I stated, is top 10 at his position.  

Maybe we could get a 3 this year and a 5 next?  He's getting older and is expensive and doesn't have size.  We need almost a total rebuild on D so I would shed big salary and acquire more picks.  Rebuild with young cheap healthy players with a sprinkling of moderately priced free agents to fill gaps

Just now, weko said:

Maybe we could get a 3 this year and a 5 next?  He's getting older and is expensive and doesn't have size.  We need almost a total rebuild on D so I would shed big salary and acquire more picks.  Rebuild with young cheap healthy players with a sprinkling of moderately priced free agents to fill gaps

I’ve been on the youth movement bandwagon for a number of years.  But I also recognize how risky it can be by moving on from the wrong players.  He is our best defensive player (now).  You could move on from him but then have to rely on those "cheap healthy players” (draft picks) filling the gap.  And we all know drafting isn’t one of Howie’s strengths.  

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I’ve been on the youth movement bandwagon for a number of years.  But I also recognize how risky it can be by moving on from the wrong players.  He is our best defensive player (now).  You could move on from him but then have to rely on those "cheap healthy players” (draft picks) filling the gap.  And we all know drafting isn’t one of Howie’s strengths.  

True that.  Howie is horrible at drafting.  But that's how you win in this league,  especially when you are paying retail to your QB.  If they don't draft better now the wheels are going to fall off.  I would guess 7-10 to 9-8 next year.  We need almost an entire D of talent.  

11 hours ago, weko said:

True that.  Howie is horrible at drafting.  But that's how you win in this league,  especially when you are paying retail to your QB.  If they don't draft better now the wheels are going to fall off.  I would guess 7-10 to 9-8 next year.  We need almost an entire D of talent.  

I think we're good at DT ... a lot will depend on Davis taking that next step (and Carter building on a very good start to his rookie season ... he did seem to hit a wall later in the season).  Williams is a very good DT3.  

With Sweat in the final year of his deal and Graham nearing the end of his career (I believe he said he intends to play only one more year) and now Reddick's uncertain future here, we obviously need to address DE/Edge.  Really have to hope Smith shows a lot more in year 2.  My guess is our first pick is made to address this position.

LB we need a complete overhaul.

CB we have some young pieces but none are certain to be considered future starters ... looking to see if any takes a big leap this year.

S I think Blank is OK but could certainly be pushed for his roster spot.  Brown flashed some promise but needs to show more (and obviously that won't happen immediately due to the injury).  We need more there as well.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Williams is a very good DT3.  

Isn’t he a FA this year though? I think we do need depth at DT and that’s on the basis that Davis progresses again which is a risk.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Isn’t he a FA this year though? I think we do need depth at DT and that’s on the basis that Davis progresses again which is a risk.

No 2024 is his 4th year.

• Like 1

Make him play it out.  He's a 21.9 cap hit this year.  If you give him what he wants, you can tinker with that number this year, but he's still going to average a bigger hit than that over 3 years (or plus whatever dead years they tack on).

If he recreates 2022, then give him the deal this offseason.  If he doesn't, you'll be glad you made him play it out.