Birds Pat Surtain Jr Mock Draft 2024

leftcoastnest

With the cap to increase to $255M+, I think we make some aggressive moves prior to the draft given our window of opportunity with the core of our offense being locked up (sans Slim Reaper) and defense on rookie contracts.

Got our lockdown CB and reloaded our OL, DL, DB, and LB with talent.

RETIRE

Jason Kelce, C

Fletcher Cox, DT

RESTRUCTURE/EXTEND

Devonta Smith, WR

Landon Dickerson, OG

Milton Williams, DT

Albert Okwuegbunam, TE

RE-SIGN

Sua Opeta, OG

Shaquille Leonard, LB

D’Andre Swift, RB

Jack Driscoll, T

Rick Lovato, LS

LET WALK

Kevin Byard, S

James Bradberry, CB

Avonte Maddox, CB

FREE AGENCY

Andrew Van Ginkel, OLB, Miami Dolphins

Jordyn Brooks, ILB, Seattle Seahawks

Eddie Jackson, S, Chicago Bears

Josh Reynolds, WR, Detroit Lions

TRADE

Philadelphia Eagles trade: 

2024 1st Rd Pick (#22)

2024 3rd Rd Pick (#97)

2025 3rd Rd Pick

Haason Reddick, LB

Denver Broncos trade:

Pat Surtain Jr, CB

2024 4th Rd Pick

DRAFT

2.50 - Braden Trice, DE, Washington

2.53 - Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU

4 (from Broncos) - Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

5.159 - Beau Limmer, OG/OC, Arkansas

5.170 - Dallin Holker, TE, Colorado

5.177 - Rasheen Ali, RB, Marshall

6.188 - Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane

I like it but you’re giving up a ton to get Surtain. Way too much IMO.

Basically Reddick, a first and a third for Surtain and you swap a 4th next year for one this year.

Realistically Reddick is worth say a late 2nd / early third and Surtain a 1st and a 3rd so why not offer Reddick and pick No.22 straight up for Surtain?!

But here’s my issue with that trade in general. Biggest reason why Denver would trade Surtain is because they can’t afford him. According to over the cap they’re 16 million over it.

If they can’t give a young elite CB a new contract and opt to trade him cause of it, why would they trade him to the Eagles for Reddick who’s looking for top 5 edge money? Doesn’t make sense IMO.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I like it but you’re giving up a ton to get Surtain. Way too much IMO.

Basically Reddick, a first and a third for Surtain and you swap a 4th next year for one this year.

Realistically Reddick is worth say a late 2nd / early third and Surtain a 1st and a 3rd so why not offer Reddick and pick No.22 straight up for Surtain?!

But here’s my issue with that trade in general. Biggest reason why Denver would trade Surtain is because they can’t afford him. According to over the cap they’re 16 million over it.

If they can’t give a young elite CB a new contract and opt to trade him cause of it, why would they trade him to the Eagles for Reddick who’s looking for top 5 edge money? Doesn’t make sense IMO.

He is a top 3 CB in the league.

He is 23.

Vic drafted him.

He completely morphs our secondary. 

Hasaan is not getting top 5 money. Top 8-10 given his age.

I’d do the deal all day long.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, leftcoastnest said:

He is a top 3 CB in the league.

He is 23.

Vic drafted him.

He completely morphs our secondary. 

Hasaan is not getting top 5 money. Top 8-10 given his age.

I’d do the deal all day long.

You don’t get the point!

If Denver can’t afford paying Surtain 20+ million, they can’t afford paying Reddick 20+ million annually.

And if they can afford him, why trade a 23 year old elite corner for an almost 30 year old pass rusher? 

Trade just doesn’t make sense for Denver. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You don’t get the point!

If Denver can’t afford paying Surtain 20+ million, they can’t afford paying Reddick 20+ million annually.

And if they can afford him, why trade a 23 year old elite corner for an almost 30 year old pass rusher? 

Trade just doesn’t make sense for Denver. 

I get the point, as stated in my top 8-10 comment.

sorry bud, feel like you are lost.

9 hours ago, leftcoastnest said:

I get the point, as stated in my top 8-10 comment.

sorry bud, feel like you are lost.

You’re clearly not getting the point and you’re calling me lost?! Serious?

I get the trade from an Eagles perspective but it takes two to tango.

Top 8-10 edge money will give Reddick about 23,5 million annually. That’s what Maxx Crosby, the No.8 best paid edge in 2024 is making. You can look it up on "over the cap”. Trey Hendrickson and Bradley Chubb are No. 9 and 10 with 22 and 21 million annually.

I’m very curious why you think Denver would want to trade Surtain? For draft picks? Sure, they don’t have a lot after the Wilson trade! Cause they can’t afford him? Possibly! But not for a 30 year old pass rusher who wants top 10 edge money. 

If you were the Broncos GM would you trade an elite 23 year old corner if you can afford him yourself?! I wouldn’t!

If they trade Surtain, it would be for draft picks (might want to trade up for a QB but don’t have the ammo) and possibly a cheap vet. Not one looking for top dollar.

• Like 1

Denver in NO WAY can afford to add to their cap when they already have to shed. If Reddick is going to be traded I would lean towards it 

being to Houston or Arizona .  If we do trade Reddick, I see Van Gunkel as his replacement. Have No interest in Jackson..he's 30 and unless it's a a low base to 

spot play and help a young guy, I'll pass. I like Brooks but at WR would prefer Curtis Samuels or Noah Brown or Cedric Wilson who have played that role in Moore's offense. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leftcoastnest said:

TRADE

Philadelphia Eagles trade: 

2024 1st Rd Pick (#22)

2024 3rd Rd Pick (#97)

2025 4th Pick

Haason Reddick, LB

Denver Broncos trade:

Pat Surtain Jr, CB

2024 4th Rd Pick

We already traded our 2025 4th round pick to the lions for Swift so you’re gonna have to change the details of this or pickup another 2025 4th round pick someway 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

Denver in NO WAY can afford to add to their cap when they already have to shed. If Reddick is going to be traded I would lean towards it 

being to Houston or Arizona .  If we do trade Reddick, I see Van Gunkel as his replacement. Have No interest in Jackson..he's 30 and unless it's a a low base to 

spot play and help a young guy, I'll pass. I like Brooks but at WR would prefer Curtis Samuels or Noah Brown or Cedric Wilson who have played that role in Moore's offense. 

I’ve seen it said that Reddick would be a great trade for teams like Bmore, or Detroit 

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

We already traded our 2025 4th round pick to the lions for Swift so you’re gonna have to change the details of this or pickup another 2025 4th round pick someway 🙂

Ah thought it was a 2025 5th...updated (in favor of Denver getting more value)

3 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

I’ve seen it said that Reddick would be a great trade for teams like Bmore, or Detroit 

I don't think Denver is that far off from being competitive. They need pass rush help. Also, in this scenario, I have them taking a top CB at 12 to replace Surtain and another skill position at our pick 22

3 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

With cap increasing by $30M this year, Denver could make it work if they offload Jeudy or Sutton (freeing up $12M+) and move Simmons with him coming into his final year of his $61M deal signed back in 2021 (i think?). These moves were pending last season, so wouldn't be too farfetched to make them this offseason.

I expect Vic to push for getting some of "his" guys in this transtion. Seeming we have a bunch of young guys at the S position, wouldn't be surprised if we bring in Jackson for a 1 year deal (like Lions did with CGJ last year) given their history together. Not a "want" but just something I see happening...

Just now, leftcoastnest said:

Denver could make it work if they offload Jeudy or Sutton (freeing up $12M+) and move Simmons with him coming into his final year of his $61M deal signed back in 2021 (i think?)

I expect Vic to push for getting some of "his" guys in this transition. Seeming we have a bunch of young guys at the S position, wouldn't be surprised if we bring in Jackson for a 1 year deal (like Lions did with CGJ last year) given how important the position is to his defense. Not a "want" but just something I see happening...

16 hours ago, Ray75 said:

You’re clearly not getting the point and you’re calling me lost?! Serious?

I get the trade from an Eagles perspective but it takes two to tango.

Top 8-10 edge money will give Reddick about 23,5 million annually. That’s what Maxx Crosby, the No.8 best paid edge in 2024 is making. You can look it up on "over the cap”. Trey Hendrickson and Bradley Chubb are No. 9 and 10 with 22 and 21 million annually.

I’m very curious why you think Denver would want to trade Surtain? For draft picks? Sure, they don’t have a lot after the Wilson trade! Cause they can’t afford him? Possibly! But not for a 30 year old pass rusher who wants top 10 edge money. 

If you were the Broncos GM would you trade an elite 23 year old corner if you can afford him yourself?! I wouldn’t!

If they trade Surtain, it would be for draft picks (might want to trade up for a QB but don’t have the ammo) and possibly a cheap vet. Not one looking for top dollar.

Updated 2025 4th to 2025 3rd, making the draft capital a 2024 1st, 2024 3rd, and a 2025 3rd.

Denver can replace Surtain with a young top CB at 12 (there are some prime prospects this year that will fall due to QBs) and another skill position play at 22, and then free up cap space by making some publicly noted moves from last season i.e. letting Jeudy or Sutton go saves $12M+, trading Justin Simmons in his final year of his contract would free up ($13M+), etc. Cap increases by $30M this year, going up to $255M+

IMO Russell Wilson isn't going anywhere, and I do think Sean Peyton and him turn this around going into the 2024 season with another full offseason of prep and a healthy Javonte Williams. Reddick has another 2-3 elite years in him (easy), so a $18M-20M/year 3 year deal makes sense. I think it's absolutely a fair deal given the draft capital they get in return (on top of an elite pass rusher)

1 hour ago, leftcoastnest said:

Ah thought it was a 2025 5th...updated (in favor of Denver getting more value)

Oh my!!! I thought we were getting fleeced before not factoring in Reddick contract. 

I think for arguments sake Denver does this deal no problem.. 

the eagles get a stud young player…. I say it’s too much to give up for a player you also need to sign to a large contract. If I was going all in on a cb like this I’d be more apt to package some picks together to get whichever one was highest on my board inside the top 15. 

• Like 1

The picks alone would fetch Surtain...no need to include Reddick.  If you want to deal him elsewhere for a couple of mid round picks then I understand, but Denver can't afford him nor would they probably want him.  He'd only suite a trade to a team 1-2 pieces away from being elite such as Detroit, or possibly Green Bay.  

• Like 2