Devin Duvernay (Texas WR) -- drafted by Ravens

PoconoDon

For those who want a replacement for Desean Jackson or Agholor moving forward here's a prime candidate. This senior has great hands, as in his next drop in college football will probably be his second or third at most over 4 years. Bottom line, this guy can catch, which is job #1 for a WR. He'll go inside. outside, and/or stretch the field if you want him to. 

He's a HS sprint champion who ran a 10.27 in the 100M dash, runs the 40 in the high 4.3's and has speed which shows up on the football field. He's 5'11" and weighs 210 lbs. so he's solidly built. Named an academic All American and named a Team Captain for the Longhorns. No injury history and a good reputation as far as I can find out.

He took one catch and then lowered his shoulder and blasted through LSU superstar Safety, Grant Delpit. When asked about it, he said he's always looking for top competitors to punish....yeah...he said punish. Sounds like he has the right "no fear" mentality for the next level. He's good outside but the move to the slot fit him very well and his production has soared inside. At about the midway point this season, he's already matched all of last year's production.

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Texas         115 1545 13.4 11 5 27 5.4 1 120 1572 13.1 12
2016 Texas Big 12 FR WR 10 20 412 20.6 3 0 0   0 20 412 20.6 3
*2017 Texas Big 12 SO WR 8 9 124 13.8 0 0 0   0 9 124 13.8 0
*2018 Texas Big 12 JR WR 14 41 546 13.3 4 1 10 10.0 0 42 556 13.2 4
2019 Texas Big 12 SR WR 5 45 463 10.3 4 4 17 4.3 1 49 480 9.8 5

I think he's a fast workhorse in the slot who loves doing the dirty work inside. To me, he's a perfect Agholor replacement.

Enjoy the Youtube vids.

Here's the Delpit hit.

Here's a nice leaping grab for aTD vs. Maryland.

Mid to late round MONSTER.....IMO.

End of year stats are in (minus the Senior Bowl). Devin had a terrific season. Made for the slot. Round peg, round hole.

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Texas         173 2376 13.7 15 10 42 4.2 1 183 2418 13.2 16
2016 Texas Big 12 FR WR 10 20 412 20.6 3 0 0   0 20 412 20.6 3
*2017 Texas Big 12 SO WR 8 9 124 13.8 0 0 0   0 9 124 13.8 0
*2018 Texas Big 12 JR WR 14 41 546 13.3 4 1 10 10.0 0 42 556 13.2 4
2019 Texas Big 12 SR WR 12 103 1294 12.6 8 9 32 3.6 1 112 1326 11.8 9
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You think he can play on the outside? Would be a good pairing if we add Jefferson or Mims in my opinion. 

To me it's most important to have a guy play the position he's best suited for, especially if he's a rookie. teach the other positions over time, but start/play him where his impact is greatest. Never force a guy into another position before he's ready and I think Duvernay has more work to do before he can go outside for anything more than a go or deep post or corner route. In time he may be able to fit well outside, but with Agholor gone, and Ward just adequate but not a difference maker, the slot is wide open for an addition.

So where does Devin fit best? in the slot.

Compare the production of 1st round slot WR prospect Justin Jefferson to Duvernay and they are so close that the difference is unimportant. JJ had the best college QB throwing to him and other top WR's to take the pressure off. Duvernay had Ehlinger (avg. at best) and no other WR's of note to help him. Oh and Devin's best game IMO came against LSU. He's the hidden gem.

All the things identified as negative traits (stiff hips, limited or sloppy routes, etc.) should have driven his numbers down, but they didn't. Why? The kid has heart and is a football player through and through, that's why. He's a No-Quit Tone Setter and you can't have too many guys like that.

It's what I call the "Emmitt Smith Test" You are not the biggest, strongest, or fastest, but you are a football player. Your offense overall is OK to good but stagnates more than is acceptable. When that happens, they turn to you for a 1st down, a big play, a score...and you deliver time and again for them despite everyone knowing they'll turn to you. It's the only circumstantial test I can think of that even begins to try to measure the intangibles like human will, drive, determination, mental and emotional endurance, etc., etc., etc. 

Smith did that in college and so did Duvernay.

• Like 1

I like him a lot.  If he's available with one of the 4th's, well worth the risk.

Duvernay would look very good in the slot. I’m hoping we can nab him but may have to move up from that third rounder. 

On 4/22/2020 at 2:53 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd use our comp pick in the third to get him if I'm honest. 

I wouldn't even be upset if we took this kid in the second round... 

11 minutes ago, Aspiritfall said:

I wouldn't even be upset if we took this kid in the second round... 

Oh I would be, I think that is a reach especially given this class.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I would be, I think that is a reach especially given this class.

I don't know man I actually think this dude has potential to be really good... He just seems like a very tough wr... Honestly reminds me a little bit of Steve Smith 

Trade back from our second, pick up an earlier third, draft him and have our other third for a LB. 

On 4/22/2020 at 2:53 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd use our comp pick in the third to get him if I'm honest. 

I don't think he lasts until the comp pick in the third. My guess is he goes around 70-80, so early to mid third round. 

14 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Trade back from our second, pick up an earlier third, draft him and have our other third for a LB. 

We have three fourths... I’d rather use that to try to pick up another third rather than trading out of the second. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nipples said:

We have three fourths... I’d rather use that to try to pick up another third rather than trading out of the second. 

Sounds reasonable. Him along w another higher round receiver would give this receiving group the youth and life it's been lacking

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Yea I'd do that too. But I like the idea of gaining more picks, but it all depends on who's available at 53 and what we do round 1. 

He def on my list in the 4th round. I dont care if we already drafted 2 WRs before him, Id still take him. Eventhough Im not a speed freak like most, his speed and hands is a great combo. I dont want someone like Hamler who is fast but hands of stone. The fact this kid has great hands is the key for me wanting him. Speed is the cherry on top

• Like 3

I really hope Duvernay is a great person with high character. Hopefully he was the nicest guy in the Texas locker room. Then maybe, just maybe Howie would look at him

Duvernay went 2/2 passing at Texas if that counts for anything to howie