Philadelphia Eagles: Trevor Williams was never going to be CB2

UK_EaglesFan89

Philadelphia Eagles: Trevor Williams was never going to be CB2

Trevor Williams was never a sure thing with the Philadelphia Eagles.

When the Philadelphia Eagles decided to sign ex-Chargers cornerback Trevor Williams to a Reserve/Future contract back in January, it was viewed as a lowkey candidate to win sleeper move of the year by some potentially overzealous fans.

A graduate of the Penn State University, Williams is a classic NFL overachiever, transforming himself from an overlooked UDFA into a 15 game starter in a loaded Chargers defensive backfield then-headlined by Pro Bowler Casey Hayward and ascending star Desmond King. Sure, he was ultimately released by the Chargers in 2019 following an injury-shortened season, and only played 16 snaps for his next team, the Arizona Cardinals, in 2019 – all of which were on special teams – but assuming his health was in order, surely the Eagles were setting themselves up for a massive boon at CB2 across from Darius Slay, right?

Unfortunately, we will never know.

That right, one day removed from waiving many fans’ favorite UDFA prospect, Arizona quarterback-turned-wide receiver Khalil Tate, the Eagles opted to release Williams as well, in a gradual trim down to 2020’s 80 player training camp limit.

Could the Eagles ultimately grow to regret this move? Most definitely, for all we know, Williams could sign with the Dallas Cowboys, become a starter across from Trevon Diggs, and become a Pro Bowler but sometimes we have to take off the optimistic fan goggles and look at the situation objectively: Trevor Williams was never going to be the Philadelphia Eagles’ starting cornerback.

I know, I know, Williams has a higher Madden rating than Avonte Maddox, Sidney Jones, Rasul Douglas, and even Jalen Mills depending on the roster update. He ran a 4.44 40 yard dash at PSU’s pro day, and has good hands thanks to his past time as a wide receiver, what more could a team want? Well, for one, Williams is slightly built, with a lower BMI than Avonte Maddox despite being two inches taller. Williams also has a slightly below-average change of direction-ability, average hips, average arms, and small hands. If you check out the average measurements for an NFL cornerback measured at the combine, which Philadelphia Eagles’ scout Fran Duffy does here, you will nary find a stat where Williams is elite.

While Williams certainly looks like a wide receiver, he’s definitely not the next Richard Sherman, let alone Quinton Dunbar.

Okay, so Williams isn’t an elite athlete, who cares? Mills ran a 4.61 40 and he started 34 games for the Eagles at cornerback since being drafted in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft. Can’t a team’s other perimeter cornerback have some athletic deficiencies when paired up with an athletic freak of nature like Slay who can shadow an opposing team’s top wide receiver? Well, they could, but that would require said player actually being available to play with frequency.

Despite appearing in 44 of a possible 52 games during his time with the Nittany Lions, Williams has only had one NFL season that wasn’t marred with injuries and has only appeared in 11 games since suffering a knee injury in 2018. If Williams had his former teammate Jason Verrett’s talent – not to mention draft pedigree – maybe he’d be worth a longer look but the decision to waive him now clearly indicates the Eagles’ current crop of cornerbacks as at least the same average caliber of player, if not significantly better.

Does that mean the Eagles couldn’t still go out and recruit another cornerback to compete for said open spot, a player like Aquib Talib? I’d wager to say Howie Roseman is open to any move he believes could help the team moving forward but again, Williams clearly isn’t that guy; if there was even a chance he was, he’d still be here.

No, in this humble writer’s opinion, the Philadelphia Eagles’ decision to release Williams now is an act of courtesy. They could have kept him around, running third team cornerback alongside players like Craig James only to be waived in favor of Darius Slay, Avonte Maddox, Rasul Douglas, Sidney Jones, and Nickell Robey-Coleman come September. Instead, Howie Roseman and company allowed him a chance to latch on with a more needy team in the hopes of landing a slot in a less loaded secondary. Assuming he’s healthy, let’s hope Trevor Williams can run with that oppertunity – just not on another team in the NFC East.

https://section215.com/2020/07/21/philadelphia-eagles-trevor-williams-cb2/

I don't think this team has the luxury of passing up on corners who could potentially have contributed. Williams has played well at outside corner in the NFL. That's more than Maddox and Jones have really done. 

Obviously a really slow news time in the NFL if cutting a no name player just signed in January deserves full coverage.  

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

Obviously a really slow news time in the NFL if cutting a no name player just signed in January deserves full coverage.  

I wouldn't call him a "no-name player." He has more starts than anybody on our roster competing for CB2 and played very well in those starts. Then he had some bad injury luck the last 2 seasons. So the main question is: did the injuries completely derail what looked to be a very promising career or is this a Derek Burgess situation where he can put the injuries behind him and be that player for a team that gives him a shot?

I had mixed feelings. I think he can play and start in the league, but I'm also burned out on players that can't stay healthy. He was here and I was rooting for him to pick up where he left off and since his contract was minimal, wasn't as worried about the injury history. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I wouldn't call him a "no-name player." He has more starts than anybody on our roster competing for CB2 and played very well in those starts. Then he had some bad injury luck the last 2 seasons. So the main question is: did the injuries completely derail what looked to be a very promising career or is this a Derek Burgess situation where he can put the injuries behind him and be that player for a team that gives him a shot?

I had mixed feelings. I think he can play and start in the league, but I'm also burned out on players that can't stay healthy. He was here and I was rooting for him to pick up where he left off and since his contract was minimal, wasn't as worried about the injury history. 

Yes I realize he has quite a bit of experience - the "no name” comment was only in reference to his Eagles tenure (but still, perhaps poor choice of wording).  It’s stated he would have been competing for the nickel CB spot.  We have quite a few at that spot ahead of him - odds weren’t stacked against him to make the roster, especially in a shortened offseason.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

It’s stated he would have been competing for the nickel CB spot.  We have quite a few at that spot ahead of him - odds weren’t stacked against him to make the roster, especially in a shortened offseason.

I saw the other article that made that claim, but he was here to compete for a CB spot, not just nickel or slot. His experience is on the outside. Basically, he was brought in at the end of last season --- when we didn't have other options yet to potentially upgrade our secondary. Due to all that has gone on, he never got a chance to show anything to the Eagles. Since the new league year started, we added Slay and Robey-Coleman. Currently, Douglas, Jones, Maddox, and LeBlanc all enter training camp healthy and are being counted on to show improvement. In this shortened offseason, the Eagles just went with the "knowns."

30 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I saw the other article that made that claim, but he was here to compete for a CB spot, not just nickel or slot. His experience is on the outside. Basically, he was brought in at the end of last season --- when we didn't have other options yet to potentially upgrade our secondary. Due to all that has gone on, he never got a chance to show anything to the Eagles. Since the new league year started, we added Slay and Robey-Coleman. Currently, Douglas, Jones, Maddox, and LeBlanc all enter training camp healthy and are being counted on to show improvement. In this shortened offseason, the Eagles just went with the "knowns."

I would say that is a sound assessment ... can't argue with any of that.  

7 hours ago, Utebird said:

If he didnt go to penn st not many on this board would bat an eyelash.

Show me all the posters batting eyelashes ... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Show me all the posters batting eyelashes ... :rolleyes:

Weird request but ok here you go.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Can we finally say goodbye to Miss Jones?

Not till the trade is 100% finalized with a passed physical.

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Can we finally say goodbye to Miss Jones?

I really do think it is time for this organization to face the facts that Jones is never going to become more here than he has thus far ... he will always be the same old injury prone underachieving player that he has been since being drafted.  Hoping they can find a trade partner to possibly get a late round pick for him and be done with him.  

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I really do think it is time for this organization to face the facts that Jones is never going to become more here than he has thus far ... he will always be the same old injury prone underachieving player that he has been since being drafted.  Hoping they can find a trade partner to possibly get a late round pick for him and be done with him.  

Glad to see Williams back. I just wish there was a preseason so we could watch Jones play before we move on (if that's what we do). 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Glad to see Williams back. I just wish there was a preseason so we could watch Jones play before we move on (if that's what we do). 

Is he? Already? 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Is he? Already? 

See link 5 posts above yours.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

See link 5 posts above yours.

Interesting. I mean I think it's good as I think he could be a decent option if he can stay healthy... But they already made the decision that they didn't think he was really good enough so it's an odd one. 

41 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Interesting. I mean I think it's good as I think he could be a decent option if he can stay healthy... But they already made the decision that they didn't think he was really good enough so it's an odd one. 

I don’t know the status of the other CBs on the DC ... are any others missing time nursing injuries?  Maybe that is the case and they just needed some legs to trot out there to take snaps.