Report: Eagles aren't willing to pay Haason Reddick what he wants for new contract

time2rock

Report: Eagles aren't willing to pay Haason Reddick what he wants for new contract

The latest information on the Haason Reddick contract situation and his future with the Eagles.

Shamus-Clancy-headshot
BY SHAMUS CLANCY
PhillyVoice Staff
Haason-Reddick-Eagles-Trade-RumorsGARY A. VASQUEZ/USA TODAY

Haason Reddick and the Eagles are reportedly far apart on new contract details.

The Eagles bolstered their pass rush during free agency, adding former Jets defender Bryce Huff, who's coming off a 10-sack season. The Birds also reworked Pro Bowler Josh Sweat's contract, keeping him in Philadelphia this season amidst talk that he might be moved elsewhere. The future of another star Eagles edge rusher, however, remains in doubt.

Earlier this offseason, a report surfaced that the Eagles had given Reddick, who's looking for a new, bigger contract, permission to seek a trade. Reddick currently has a base salary of $14.3 million this year with a cap hit north of $21.8 million. He's in the final year of a three-year deal he signed back in 2022 (with multiple void years still remaining on the back end).

What's next for the Eagles and Reddick?

On Monday night, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported that the Eagles are moving Reddick's $1 million roster bonus from March 15 to April 1. Fowler wrote that the move "in theory buys Philly time for a potential trade before having to pay the money."

On Tuesday morning, Philadelphia Inquirer reporter Jeff McLane joined 97.5 The Fanatic to discuss Reddick and the Eagles, assessing that the two parties are still far apart on a new deal:

Reddick certainly out-performed his contract in 2022 during a superstar campaign and played well enough on a disastrous Eagles defense last season. With Reddick entering his age-30 season, however, the Eagles may be reluctant to tie up money with a player who's getting older and may not be able to replicate the highs of 2022. 

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-news-trade-rumors-haason-reddick-contract-cap-hit/

• Haha 1

At this point surely though Reddick knows what other teams would be willing to pay him? And I’m just not sure that amount is what he’s after. 

I don't think any team is going to pay him the 25M that he wants. 

• Like 1

At this point, I kinda hope that he and the Eagles can just work something out...or just agree to play out his contract this season. We'd be a better team in 2024 with Reddick than without him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

At this point, I kinda hope that he and the Eagles can just work something out...or just agree to play out his contract this season. We'd be a better team in 2024 with Reddick than without him.

My thoughts exactly.  His cap hit is $21.8M for 2024 but we do have the cap space available to carry that.  And I don't know if we actually get much cap relief if we trade him (I could be wrong about that ... they will use the post June 1 designation on Kelce ... I don't know if we are able to use that on more than 1 player).  If we do have the ability to use it then we do see significant cap savings ($16M in cap savings vs $5.8M in dead money).  If we are NOT able to then that results in only $1.3M in cap savings vs $20.5M in dead money.  If the latter then it almost makes sense to pay him to play for us rather than for someone else - we would basically only be trading him for draft pick compensation (if we're not going to get a decent return play him and get a decent comp pick).  

• Like 1

The Eagles would be a better team with him on the roster, yes.

But, this team is not winning a SB next year. No way. I think they are like the 4th or 5th best team in the NFC. 

So, trade his butt for whatever you can get, especially if he doesn't want to be here.

8 hours ago, LacesOut said:

The Eagles would be a better team with him on the roster, yes.

But, this team is not winning a SB next year. No way. I think they are like the 4th or 5th best team in the NFC. 

Really? 4th or 5th best behind who? Also we’ve seen teams make the SB who aren’t the best that year in their conference. Hell KC did it this year.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, time2rock said:

My thoughts exactly.  His cap hit is $21.8M for 2024 but we do have the cap space available to carry that.  And I don't know if we actually get much cap relief if we trade him (I could be wrong about that ... they will use the post June 1 designation on Kelce ... I don't know if we are able to use that on more than 1 player).  If we do have the ability to use it then we do see significant cap savings ($16M in cap savings vs $5.8M in dead money).  If we are NOT able to then that results in only $1.3M in cap savings vs $20.5M in dead money.  If the latter then it almost makes sense to pay him to play for us rather than for someone else - we would basically only be trading him for draft pick compensation (if we're not going to get a decent return play him and get a decent comp pick).  

Teams can use a post June 1 designation on 2 players...but they're cuts or retirements I think, right?  Not sure if a trade works the same way.  I think a post June 1 trade would save them cap money...but I'm not sure you can trade a player pre-June and designate it as a post-June thing?

Regardless, hopefully they just keep him...this defense needs all the help it can get!

Take a 3, take a 4 if that's all you can get.  Big money is better spent on the offense.  That is the trend league wide.  You want to keep the ball, keep the other team's O on the bench.  

On 3/26/2024 at 8:03 AM, EaglesAddict said:

Teams can use a post June 1 designation on 2 players...but they're cuts or retirements I think, right?  Not sure if a trade works the same way.  I think a post June 1 trade would save them cap money...but I'm not sure you can trade a player pre-June and designate it as a post-June thing?

Regardless, hopefully they just keep him...this defense needs all the help it can get!

So according to this piece (https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-post-june-1-designation-what-why-and-how/), there is no post June 1 "designation" that can be applied to trades.  So when OTC has info on their site as it relates to cap savings and dead money with various "options" (e.g. cut pre June 1, cut post June 1, trade pre June 1, etc.), that implies those moves are made either before or after June 1.  In the case of players being cut, teams have the ability to apply a "designation" to the release such that they can spread the dead money over 2 seasons (you know how that works).  Teams have the ability to use 2 of those designations per year, as you stated.  It is just that they cannot apply that kind of "designation" to a trade.  So if Reddick is traded anytime before June 1, then we take on the $20.5M dead money hit to the 2024 cap ... plain and simple.  

• Like 1

Another Captain Obvious article. If they were willing to pay what he wanted he'd be signed.