Mock Draft: Trade Up for CB

leftcoastnest

Reddick, wish you the best with the Jets. You will be missed.

Now that FA is coming to a conclusion, I think Howie and Co know where we stand going into the Draft. Vic needs a few more pieces to ensure his scheme is successful in 2024 and Stoutland needs a few more pieces for the interior line to replace Opeta and Driscoll.

FREE AGENCY

Avonte Maddox, CB - 1 year deal

Justin Simmons, S, Denver Broncos - 1 year deal

Cody Whitehair, OG, Chicago Bears - 2 year deal

TRADE

(1)

Philadelphia Eagles trade: 

2024 1st Rd Pick (#22)

2024 2nd Rd Pick (#50)

2024 5th Rd Pick (#171)

Jacksonville Jaguars trade:

2024 1st Rd Pick (#17)

2024 3rd Rd Pick (#96)

Context for the trade:

In this mock draft scenario, Howie’s 1st round target CB falls within striking distance, so we make a move to go up and secure our CB1 of the future that can be groomed to do all the things Vic needs our CB1 to do.

DRAFT

1.17 - Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Potentially the best CB in this class if he can continue to develop. Looks the part of a versatile CB1 that can be a ball hawk and force in run defense. Has the tool to play man and zone. 

2.53 - Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M

Vic’s defense needs strong LB play, especially when asked to drop back in coverage. I think Vic will have a strong voice in the war room, considering Howie’s been trying to get him in Philly for a few seasons now. Howie surprises us all (again) and takes the best LB in the class to immediately plug into the starting lineup.

3.96 - Blake Fisher, RT, Notre Dame

Athletic swing tackle that can provide quality depth for 2024. Will be developed by Stout University to potentially plug in as our future RT starter when Lane retires. Given the depth in the draft, analysts think he’ll fall to the 3-4 round. Value pick that gives us our future starter RT.

4.120 - Callen Bullock, S/CB, USC 

A versatile and rangy free safety who has the technique and athleticism to play CB, as well. Crazy ball skills, horrible against the run. Needs to add mass to his frame and improve in tackling, but can contribute to Vic’s secondary as early as year 1.

5.151 - Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan

Value pick. One of the top guards in the draft that fits what Stoutland looks for in the IOL. His leg injury pushed him down the board.

6.210 - Dallin Hooker, TE, Colorado State

Bringing in some depth at the TE position. Is a natural pass catching TE with good size. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Really like this mock. Good work!

I'm not sure if Howie would invest this much draft capital in the secondary in real life after bringing back CJGJ and the recent draft pick investments in Sydney Brown, Kelee Ringo, etc... but one can hope?

Whitehair takes care of the RG situation without using valuable draft capital to do so. If I were to guess what Howie is most likely to do IRL, I would expect one of those first 3 picks to be a lineman. Simmons gives us a solid veteran duo at safety and allows the team to bring back Sydney Brown slowly as he recovers from his injury.

2nd round LB is a real possibility, Howie did it with Mychal Kendricks in 2012 so it's not unprecedented. Cooper is my top pick there at LB as well.

• Thanks 1

Can’t say I don’t love it cause I really do but I don’t think this is the direction they’re heading in. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they don’t address the LB and S position in the first 3 rounds or even at all in the draft (not including UDFA).

But I hope you’re right! I really do! 👊🏻

• Like 1

The whole city will be calling for those two positions alongside Vic.

Call me crazy but feels like there’s a lot of pressure on Howie to bring in "Vic’s guys”

I like it - thanks

I would add Hunter Renfrow to the signings and then replace the Wasington pick in the 4th with a TE like Johnson or Wiley. 

if you sign Whitehair why draft Zitner and vice versa. Both are interior linemen. I think one should be a tackle. 

Again - this wold be a noce cap to the off-season. 

21 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

I like it - thanks

I would add Hunter Renfrow to the signings and then replace the Wasington pick in the 4th with a TE like Johnson or Wiley. 

if you sign Whitehair why draft Zitner and vice versa. Both are interior linemen. I think one should be a tackle. 

Again - this would be a noce cap to the off-season. 

Renfrow would be a nice pickup and fit Moore’s offense well. If we sign him, then I’d be game to go TE there. I do like Hooker tho

Opeta and Driscoll are both gone, so I think we need to bring in two IOL. Whitehair being the starter for the next 2 seasons while Stoutland develops Zak.

Would love the draft but I don’t see it as reasonable… I’ve seen Zinter most everywhere as a day 2 pick I don’t think he is on the board at 151

i also think hooker is long gone by the 6th round, he is a decent prospect it what’s considered a weak class the teams looking for a TE are going to grab the best ones off the board as soon as 1-2 get drafted. 

18 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Would love the draft but I don’t see it as reasonable… I’ve seen Zinter most everywhere as a day 2 pick I don’t think he is on the board at 151

i also think hooker is long gone by the 6th round, he is a decent prospect it what’s considered a weak class the teams looking for a TE are going to grab the best ones off the board as soon as 1-2 get drafted. 

The draft was from PFN draft simulator, so that’s what I followed.

On 3/31/2024 at 3:31 PM, leftcoastnest said:

Opeta and Driscoll are both gone, so I think we need to bring in two IOL. Whitehair being the starter for the next 2 seasons while Stoutland develops Zak

Seems like yu're writing Steen off?

I like Mitchell, but I don't know if I like him enough to trade up and pass on an Edge.  We just didn't generate a lot of pressure down the stretch and a Fangio defense doesn't blitz much.  We have a hole to fill with Reddick off to NY.  Not knocking the desire to grab a CB1, because DB's were a hot mess last year.  Without a pass rush, even the best of DB's get exposed.  

Would be a hell of a draft that! Plenty of talent added to the roster with that draft plus bringing in Simmons and Whitehair. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t love it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VeeMak said:

I like Mitchell, but I don't know if I like him enough to trade up and pass on an Edge.  We just didn't generate a lot of pressure down the stretch and a Fangio defense doesn't blitz much.  We have a hole to fill with Reddick off to NY.  Not knocking the desire to grab a CB1, because DB's were a hot mess last year.  Without a pass rush, even the best of DB's get exposed.  

Call me crazy, but i'm a firm believer in Smith stepping up this season under Vic. I think Sweat, Huff, Smith, BG can hold it down in 2024, especially if we get better play out of the Ss and (hopefully) LBs.

Slay and Bradberry are out next year IMO. I do like the youth we have developing right now, but would feel better adding a true blue-chip CB prospect to the mix.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:52 AM, Rob331 said:

Seems like yu're writing Steen off?

Not quite. I think he's quality depth that can still develop under Stout. I'm just thinking with Kelce, Driscoll, and Opeta out, we need bodies (i could be wrong).

Also, I believe Steen can plug in at RT if we Lane gets banged up.

52 minutes ago, leftcoastnest said:

Call me crazy, but i'm a firm believer in Smith stepping up this season under Vic. I think Sweat, Huff, Smith, BG can hold it down in 2024, especially if we get better play out of the Ss and (hopefully) LBs.

Slay and Bradberry are out next year IMO. I do like the youth we have developing right now, but would feel better adding a true blue-chip CB prospect to the mix.

Assuming we didn't make any trades up or down in the 1st or 2nd, and based on historical draft philosophy of the Birds, I could see Mims at 22, Austin Booker at 50 and Max Melton at 53.  I believe Melton may be able to start in year 1 but could benefit learning corner for a year behind a vet.  Booker has a high ceiling and would be a rotational piece in year 1 as he needs to add about 15 pounds and refine his pass rush technique.  Mims would obviously be Lane's heir apparent.  

My hope would be Chop at 22, Payton Wilson at 50 and Kamren Kinchens at 53.  People are on about the CB class this year (for good reason), but 2025 could be even better.  Malaki Starks, Travis Hunter, Denzel Burks, Will Johnson, etc.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VeeMak said:

Assuming we didn't make any trades up or down in the 1st or 2nd, and based on historical draft philosophy of the Birds, I could see Mims at 22, Austin Booker at 50 and Max Melton at 53.  I believe Melton may be able to start in year 1 but could benefit learning corner for a year behind a vet.  Booker has a high ceiling and would be a rotational piece in year 1 as he needs to add about 15 pounds and refine his pass rush technique.  Mims would obviously be Lane's heir apparent.  

My hope would be Chop at 22, Payton Wilson at 50 and Kamren Kinchens at 53.  People are on about the CB class this year (for good reason), but 2025 could be even better.  Malaki Starks, Travis Hunter, Denzel Burks, Will Johnson, etc.  

I wouldn’t be made at adding a DE in the 2nd (love Bralen Trice…), but I just think our CBs are a serious concern with what Vic needs them to do (without factoring in the expected development from any combo of Ringo, Hicks, McPhearson, and Rogers when he is re-activated). I’d personally feel a lot better if we secured one of the top 2 CBs in this years draft while those other guys get another season to develop with Slay and Bradberry here.

Side note - also really like Javon Bullard’s versatility and experience. Can be another piece like CGJ that we can move around if/when needed.

11 hours ago, leftcoastnest said:

McPhearson

Pretty sure he was cut last year bud due to injury? He may be available and they may decide to pick him back up but don’t think he’s on the roster.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Pretty sure he was cut last year bud due to injury? He may be available and they may decide to pick him back up but don’t think he’s on the roster.

On the roster, buddy! On IR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

On the roster, buddy! On IR.

Oh right I know he tore his ACL just before the year started. I’m glad that he’s still on the roster though.

FYI

IMG_1621.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh right I know he tore his ACL just before the year started. I’m glad that he’s still on the roster though.

Yea me too. I think he can play

Good draft. Mitchell is my favorite cb in this draft so I was glad you took him. 

when I saw the trade with the jags I thought we were getting josh Allen. Still not a bad trade though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Good draft. Mitchell is my favorite cb in this draft so I was glad you took him. 

when I saw the trade with the jags I thought we were getting josh Allen. Still not a bad trade though. 

Still think Mitchell is our top target in the 1st 🤞

Nice Mock Draft. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Nice Mock Draft. 

One can hope it’ll happen.

• Like 1

Nice job, love this mock!  Good trade in Round 1 as well (realistic).  

• Thanks 1