Are There Any Players Worth Trading Up for and Burning a 2nd Rounder?

EaglesAddict

We all know Howie can't stand pat on draft day.  He has two 2nd round picks which will most likely be burning a hole in his pocket.  He just can't help himself.

If he trades up, what player(s) could feasibly be available between picks, say, 12-16, that would be worth trading up for and likely burning one of those 2nd rounders in the process?

Jared Verse?  One of the OT's?  CBs Arnold or Mitchell?  Any of them "worth it"?

Verse, Latu, Mitchell, Arnold, Fautanu, Latham

Prospects like Dallas Turner and Olumiyiwa Fashanu probably won’t make it past #12.

Trading up 10 spots will cost you, though. Can’t see Howie doing that.

If they trade up it’ll be a couple of spots. Say from #22 to #16, 17 or 18?! Something along that line…

• Like 1

I think Mitchell, Arnold, and Fautanu are moves that will be made if either fall past 15. 

Their backup plan is most likely sitting at 22 and taking Guyton if those guys are gone.

• Like 1

This is a very weird draft in that there aren’t any sure fire super stars in this draft.  Even Bowers has medical question marks.   There are very talented players athletically like a Chop or Wiggins for example that are raw and need time to develop.  There are guys like a Payton Wilson from NC State and Latu that would both be considered can’t miss if not for the concerning medical histories.  I don’t know that this is the draft to move up.  I could see a move down or even out of the first round.  

• Like 1

Would a trade up to get Brock Bowers be worthwhile?

Certainly, there are other alternative targets as well, but would this represent a good investment - both immediate and long-term?

I envision that he would solve multiple needs. For example, he offers a potential hybrid between a tight-end and a slot receiver enabling a multitude of uses without substitution.

Additionally, he represents a huge improvement to quality depth at tight-end.

Our first and a second could probably land us a third plus a move up of perhaps 5 or 6 slots.

P.S. I just stumbled across this same suggestion proposed over 6 months ago, under "I want the Eagles to get...".

I think Wiggins is starting to grow on me at 22…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leftcoastnest said:

Me too! Love the athleticism and tenacity, really sticky in coverage, but that frame worries the hell outta me…

• Like 1

I'd much rather see them trade down and get additional pick. As I see it we still need 10 players and they only have 3 premum draft picks. . 

• Starting outside corner
  • Startng slot receiver
  • 2 offensive linemen to replace Opeta and Driskoll
  • 2 running backs  - only Barkley and Gainwell are proven pros 
  • 2 safties - only 2 healthy ones, Blankenship and CGJ pus McCollum on the roster
  • a LB who has starting ability/potential
  • another credible edge rusher

I'd love to see not one but two trade downs. Going down 4 spots gets you a 4th on the value chart and it could possibly be a 3rd if the trading partner realy wants a specific player. 

I'm not afraid of moving out of the 1st round. CB Max Melton is a potential starter as are WR's Ladd McConkey, Malachi Corley and others. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 12:40 PM, Crazy Legs said:

Would a trade up to get Brock Bowers be worthwhile?

Certainly, there are other alternative targets as well, but would this represent a good investment - both immediate and long-term?

I envision that he would solve multiple needs. For example, he offers a potential hybrid between a tight-end and a slot receiver enabling a multitude of uses without substitution.

Additionally, he represents a huge improvement to quality depth at tight-end.

Our first and a second could probably land us a third plus a move up of perhaps 5 or 6 slots.

P.S. I just stumbled across this same suggestion proposed over 6 months ago, under "I want the Eagles to get...".

That would be an interesting move if they did that.  But, that would be WAY out of character for Howie.

On 4/6/2024 at 2:49 PM, leftcoastnest said:

I'm still resistant.  He's probably the main player that when I see mocked to the Eagles, I cringe.  I just have serious reservations about his skinny frame holding up in the NFL.  I'd prefer to just avoid.  Not saying he's gonna be a bust, just saying that I'd prefer to avoid him because of that uncertainty. 

21 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I'd much rather see them trade down and get additional pick. As I see it we still need 10 players and they only have 3 premum draft picks. . 

• Starting outside corner
  • Startng slot receiver
  • 2 offensive linemen to replace Opeta and Driskoll
  • 2 running backs  - only Barkley and Gainwell are proven pros 
  • 2 safties - only 2 healthy ones, Blankenship and CGJ pus McCollum on the roster
  • a LB who has starting ability/potential
  • another credible edge rusher

I'd love to see not one but two trade downs. Going down 4 spots gets you a 4th on the value chart and it could possibly be a 3rd if the trading partner realy wants a specific player. 

I'm not afraid of moving out of the 1st round. CB Max Melton is a potential starter as are WR's Ladd McConkey, Malachi Corley and others. 

I wouldn't mind a trade back too...but with two 2nd round picks, Howie is more likely to move up.

22 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I wouldn't mind a trade back too...but with two 2nd round picks, Howie is more likely to move up.

Would you be interested at 22 for a CB with the following draft profile:

image.thumb.png.0d0e491403ce0128ea77655ea80c5370.png

image.thumb.png.cb4a841e86bc1ed09d69f719cdcb2242.png

image.thumb.png.ef6f70646b35e1c80fcbdaad78dbc6a9.png

image.thumb.png.953d804a0874a358df52a809e87c65e7.png

Spoiler

Kelee Ringo

All of that to say that pre draft analysis and underwear Olympic feats can create shiny objects, especially at CB.  It’s a very difficult position to draft because it is probably the second most difficult position (to QB) to play professionally in any sport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, VeeMak said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kelee Ringo

All of that to say that pre draft analysis and underwear Olympic feats can create shiny objects, especially at CB.  It’s a very difficult position to draft because it is probably the second most difficult position (to QB) to play professionally in any sport. 

Curve ball!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, leftcoastnest said:

Curve ball!

Exactly 

I had a funny feeling who you were profiling.

Indeed, both Ringo and Ricks were highly rated prospects...not so much on draft day.

Howie at least thought enough on day 2 to jump on Ringo. Undrafted Ricks got off to a nice start in traing camp and preseason.

I'd say jury is probably still out on several promising young corners. We'll get a better feel for what the Eagles think in the next few weeks.

In any event, if Howie does draft a CB on day one, I think he will move to get the best possible player.

Personally, I think Wiggins will develop into a nice player, but not an All-Pro shut-down corner.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VeeMak said:

Reveal hidden contents

Kelee Ringo

Whose profile is this?  Surtain?

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

Whose profile is this?  Surtain?

Click on "Reveal hidden comments" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VeeMak said:

Click on "Reveal hidden comments" 

Interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

I think this draft has premium talent at QB, WR, C, OT and 1 premium TE.

We’re not moving up for a QB or Bowers (I don’t think he will fall to a range for us to seriously consider it). I don’t think Jurgens did anything last season to make the FO feel like he HAS to stay at Guard or make them think he can’t be the next Center after Jason Kelce.

That leaves WR and OT. We have our 1A & 1B WR’s locked in for 3 more years, so unless one of the big 3 fall past pick 15, it probably won’t be for a WR. So unless one of the OT they are high on falls to within striking distance, I don’t think we move up, and even then probably no more than 3-4 picks higher.

A more likely scenario in my opinion would be us sitting at pick 22, and some combination of Graham Barton, Powers-Johnson, Fautanu, Guyton, Suamataia all still on the board and we move back a few spots knowing at least one of them will get back to us. Then we have our RG next season and beyond or a possible replacement for LJ down the road.

On 4/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, MidMoFo said:

I think this draft has premium talent at QB, WR, C, OT and 1 premium TE.

We’re not moving up for a QB or Bowers (I don’t think he will fall to a range for us to seriously consider it). I don’t think Jurgens did anything last season to make the FO feel like he HAS to stay at Guard or make them think he can’t be the next Center after Jason Kelce.

That leaves WR and OT. We have our 1A & 1B WR’s locked in for 3 more years, so unless one of the big 3 fall past pick 15, it probably won’t be for a WR. So unless one of the OT they are high on falls to within striking distance, I don’t think we move up, and even then probably no more than 3-4 picks higher.

A more likely scenario in my opinion would be us sitting at pick 22, and some combination of Graham Barton, Powers-Johnson, Fautanu, Guyton, Suamataia all still on the board and we move back a few spots knowing at least one of them will get back to us. Then we have our RG next season and beyond or a possible replacement for LJ down the road.

I have the same instinct for this draft.  I think it’s either OT or Edge at 22.  I could also see Howie dumping trading out of one of the 2’s to move down and pick up draft picks next year as I think we only have 5 picks next year as it stands.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VeeMak said:

I have the same instinct for this draft.  I think it’s either OT or Edge at 22.  I could also see Howie dumping trading out of one of the 2’s to move down and pick up draft picks next year as I think we only have 5 picks next year as it stands.  

Agreed. Edge is definitely a possibility at 22 as always in Rd 1 for the birds.

Verse. Fautanu. Mitchell. DeJean.

Thinking those are our primary round 1 targets (assuming no top prospects fall outside of top 15) as of today.

20 hours ago, leftcoastnest said:

Verse. Fautanu. Mitchell. DeJean.

Thinking those are our primary round 1 targets (assuming no top prospects fall outside of top 15) as of today.

I have to believe some team is going to pick up Latu before 22 despite the medical concerns because he is the most polished pass rusher and will be a Day 1 disrupter on defense if not a starter.  I think Verse will likely be gone by 22 as well.  Chop may be the best edge available at 22 and he is going to need to sit a year because he is being evaluated on talent not production. Given the investment in D line with Day 1 picks the last few drafts, this could be the year that eagles break tradition and go DB in the first, but that will depend on what OL prospects are available at 22

I’d rather trade 2 2nds and find a way back into the first than to use one on a trade up. Grab a blue chip player hopefully, and have a 5th year option. 

On 4/22/2024 at 10:21 AM, GoEagles614 said:

I’d rather trade 2 2nds and find a way back into the first than to use one on a trade up. Grab a blue chip player hopefully, and have a 5th year option. 

This is what I'd like to do as well.  BUT...I'd be surprised if it did.  I feel 99% sure that Howie is gonna burn one of the 2nd's to move up in Round 1.  The best thing we could hope for is a smaller trade up, like say with Seattle where we give 22 and 50 for 16 and their 3rd (81st overall, I think).  Otherwise, I fully expect to lose one of our 2nds, and probably one of our 5ths, in a trade up.

I just don't think Howie is going to sit on his hands until pick 22.  That said, I think he could sit at 22 and still come away with a good player, especially at DB.

• Like 1