The D looks worse than last year, what is Howie doing? (orig post 4/8/24)

opa-opa

If only there was an event coming up in a couple of weeks where teams get to add players from college to their team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

If only there was an event coming up in a couple of weeks where teams get to add players from college to their team. 

Two of the first three picks better be on defense, otherwise, I doubt we see much contribution on the defense from rookies.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:27 PM, ThinkGreen said:

There's no way this offense will somehow transform into a high scoring offense. That puts more pressure on the D. The best LB we had recently was Kyzir White, and they let him walk.

That's ridiculous. For points scored, they went from being ranked 3rd in 2022 to 7th in 2023. That's with all the problems and coaching. They've had the same QB, two 1,000 yard receivers and TE. The RB changed and the RG changed. Coaching was the main problem.

Yes they lose Kelce and RG is a question mark, but the rest of the core is back and they have a major upgrade at Offensive Coordinator. Plus Saquon at RB. I would say anytime there are such changes there is a transition and it may take 4-5 games into the season to see what the offense will really look like.

But to say there's "no way" is absurd.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 9:40 AM, opa-opa said:

What is the plan here?

Draft an offense lineman just like any other dumb sheet would. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2024 at 5:46 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Chips Philosophy was not a failure. It simply did not transfer to the professional NFL level. On college level it worked just fine. With No contracts, More players, etc..etc.. on the college level. :))

UCLA would have loved for his philosophy to transfer back to college.

I am intrigued with what he'll be able to do as the OC at Ohio State.  Personally, I think he can be a great OC, just not a great head coach.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 9:08 AM, RunItBAck said:

Your rationale for being optimistic includes a heavy dose of "some" "if" "hope" "maybe" "could" "I think" statements.

How is going off actual results being irrational ?  

How I see it, is your are just hoping that things change an didn't provide any concrete reasons that the defense has improved.

It's more irrational to believe losing Cox / Graham (vets) is beneficial to us. 

I could do the digging and likely find how you stated Byard was going to fix the safety problem last year and add ALL-PRO talent to the defense but I'll save you the embarrassment. 

Lastly, the new coordinators optimism line was common last year, please stop. I bet I could also dig up posts about you fan-girling over Desai, and then Patricia LOL. We all hope they're going to be better but writing out those hopes isn't changing anything.

Negative rationale doesn't consider any improvement by the young players.....it also assumes that veterans who have a down year, will have another.  Either way, yes, this is all speculation.   Past performance doesn't guarantee future results.

Cox and Graham are at the end of long careers.....their effectiveness is on a natural age decline......nothing irrational about that.

I never said Byard would fix the safety problem, but it was a prudent move by Howie to bring in a vet like Byard hoping to stabilize the position.  

And as far as the coordinators go, Johnson and Desai were first time coordinators who struggled out of the gate and never got better.  Kellen Moore and Fangio are proven and experienced coordinators.  

So yes, I think the coordinators will have a considerable positive effect, I think some young guys who showed flashes last year can be better, I think the defense will respond to a better DC and Moore will take advantage of the talent on this offense.  I think some of Howie's FA signings may be underrated....just like they were in the Super Bowl year.

Howie still has the draft, trade assets and training camp cuts to fill in holes and add more talent.

So go ahead and be a negadelphian and whine about needing "concrete reasons" that the defense has improved.  There aren't any......it's all about potential and performance.  

• Like 1

Defensive upgrades:

• Defensive Coordinator - coaching was a major problem, Fangio should bring stability, structure and accountability
  • Position coaches with more experience, including 1 with prior coordinator experience
  • Signing CJG at safety, will help the secondary and young safeties

Defensive losses:

• Cox
  • Reddick

Potential for improvement and question marks:

• Nakobe Dean needs to stay healthy this season and step up
  • Jalen Carter has to be the man to replace the consistency that Cox brought every week, he fell off toward the end of last season
  • Jordan Davis big question mark: does he take the next step or is he more of a JAG? Conditioning is an issue
  • Nolan Smith: is he just a JAG? What will he contribute? 
  • Huff: potential but will he replace Reddick's production?
  • Linebackers once again picked from the bargain bin. Please Howie draft a real LB with one of those 2nd round picks.
  • Young secondary: Ricks, Ringo, Brown entering 2nd year and all showed some potential. Isaiah Rodgers returning from suspension. What will they contribute?
  • Veteran secondary: Will Slay decline? Will Bradberry play like trash again or bounce back? How will Blankenship and Brown play now with CJG back? How long before Maddox gets hurt again? Who else can play slot?
  • Draft picks TBD: they typically don't give rookies many snaps. What contribution will rookie defensive players make?

The team is once again loading up on offense and piecing together defense with some scraps. The offense will need to carry the team.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 1:03 AM, Vee said:

UCLA would have loved for his philosophy to transfer back to college.

I am intrigued with what he'll be able to do as the OC at Ohio State.  Personally, I think he can be a great OC, just not a great head coach.

Yeah he is a good OC, his biggest problem in UCLA was defense, They had a solid offense with Thompson Robinson in from 20-22, but the defense was horribly inconsistent, in 2020 they scored damn near 35.5 points a game and somehow managed to lose 4 out of 7, 2021 they scored 36.5 ppg and in 2022 39ppg, then Thompson-Robinson left and last year the Offense was patchy too.

On 4/15/2024 at 1:46 PM, NOTW said:

That's ridiculous. For points scored, they went from being ranked 3rd in 2022 to 7th in 2023. That's with all the problems and coaching. They've had the same QB, two 1,000 yard receivers and TE. The RB changed and the RG changed. Coaching was the main problem.

Yes they lose Kelce and RG is a question mark, but the rest of the core is back and they have a major upgrade at Offensive Coordinator. Plus Saquon at RB. I would say anytime there are such changes there is a transition and it may take 4-5 games into the season to see what the offense will really look like.

But to say there's "no way" is absurd.

Kelce and Lane Johnson were a year older. I am bullish on Barkley, however. Let's not pretend that we know what the new coaches will do. Hurts already presented his excuse, turnover at the qb coach position. If they lose 3 in a row, the fans will call for their walking papers. 

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:27 PM, ThinkGreen said:

Kelce and Lane Johnson were a year older. I am bullish on Barkley, however. Let's not pretend that we know what the new coaches will do. Hurts already presented his excuse, turnover at the qb coach position. If they lose 3 in a row, the fans will call for their walking papers. 

You changed the argument and are just ranting now. You initially said there is "no way" that they can be a high scoring offense. They were 7th last year, 3rd a year before for points scored. If you don't consider 7th in the league in points as high scoring, then top 5? It wouldn't be that difficult to go from 7th to 5th. Kellen Moore's offense in Dallas was highly ranked in points scored, one season they were 1st in the league and another 4th in the league. We all saw how bad Brian Johnson was. Of course there are questions, we don't know how changes will work out, etc. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NOTW said:

You changed the argument and are just ranting now. You initially said there is "no way" that they can be a high scoring offense. They were 7th last year, 3rd a year before for points scored. If you don't consider 7th in the league in points as high scoring, then top 5? It wouldn't be that difficult to go from 7th to 5th. Kellen Moore's offense in Dallas was highly ranked in points scored, one season they were 1st in the league and another 4th in the league. We all saw how bad Brian Johnson was. Of course there are questions, we don't know how changes will work out, etc. 

Talking about Defense is depressing. 🤣

• Like 1

Players weren't the problem on either side of the ball. OC thought his High Scool O would do the trick. DC had a round hole square peg system for his players. O was virtually the same as previous year. D we lost minimal players to got from top to worst. Now we got 2 seasoned coordinators who should make a huge difference. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/8/2024 at 10:00 AM, judunno said:

We're loading up to get Micah Parsons... woooooooo

Micah wishes this were true. Funny how Smith got a contract before he did.

The defense looks very young overall. Hoping the old veteran DC can mold these young guys into some form of a viable defense.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The defense looks very young overall. Hoping the old veteran DC can mold these young guys into some form of a viable defense.

Younger and hopefully faster. I’m sure they will make mistakes but hopefully they’ll also make plays. 

10 minutes ago, DaBirds said:

Hard to believe this is a real thread. 

The OP is great at making these kinds of threads @NOTW

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The OP is great at making these kinds of threads @NOTW

Of course, it's the opa special.

We've already added CJG, Huff, the top corner in the draft and an experienced Defensive Coordinator along with experienced position coaches.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Younger and hopefully faster. I’m sure they will make mistakes but hopefully they’ll also make plays. 

Speed on defense can be very disruptive. Finally Howie is throwing draft picks at the secondary and not just hoping one of the undrafted guys just work out. The last two drafts the defenses have been addressed. Hopefully it will payoff over the next couple of years.

On 4/15/2024 at 7:43 AM, Blazehound said:

Two of the first three picks better be on defense, otherwise, I doubt we see much contribution on the defense from rookies.

This is why patience is important.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, eephraim said:

This is why patience is important.

I WAITED THE FIRST 50 YEARS OF MY LIFE FOR A SUPERBOWL.....DON'T TELL ME TO BE PATIENT!!!!!! (in traumatic, girl, screaming voice) lmao

Hopefully the first two picks will help some.