Eagles Extend DeVonta Smith 3 years, $75m with $51m guaranteed. Signed through 2028

time2rock

57 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I am not worried about Hurts. But he wouldn't be getting top of market money if we waited to extend him.

The same is true with Smith. If we extend him now, he's going to get near top of market value. It would make some sense if he was about to hit free agency, but we have three years of team control. 

I get the whole "keep the player happy" argument, but extending him will also have a negative impact, and in this case there is a pretty big gap in what he would make over the next three years with an extension versus what we would pay him on his option/franchise tag. 

Well what Hurts got as "top of market value" in 2023 will be considerably less than "top of market value" in a couple of years so there is that.  It really is crazy what athletes make these days.  I remember when QBs were signing $20M deals (not annual ... over life of contract).  I was shocked when they were signing for $20M/year.  Now they are north of $50M.  To play a sport.  It's ludicrous.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Well what Hurts got as "top of market value" in 2023 will be considerably less than "top of market value" in a couple of years so there is that.  It really is crazy what athletes make these days.  I remember when QBs were signing $20M deals (not annual ... over life of contract).  I was shocked when they were signing for $20M/year.  Now they are north of $50M.  To play a sport.  It's ludicrous.  

The latest TV deal is worth $10 billion a year and thats just domestic, I have no issue with the players who make the product on the field getting their fair share of that, I'd have more of a problem with the owners lining their pockets with it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The latest TV deal is worth $10 billion a year and thats just domestic, I have no issue with the players who make the product on the field getting their fair share of that, I'd have more of a problem with the owners lining their pockets with it. 

Oh I don't disagree with the players getting that $ rather than the owners.  It's just crazy to think someone gets pald $50M to do anything for a year.

Side note:  no wonder why my cable bill is outrageously high!  :lol:

Smitty needs to be paid. Howie will get it done.

Have there been any contract numbers thrown out yet??

37 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Smitty needs to be paid. Howie will get it done.

Have there been any contract numbers thrown out yet??

I would guess he is looking for 4 years, $100 million. 

14 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I would guess he is looking for 4 years, $100 million. 

Ok. What do you base that on? Just curious.

1 minute ago, LacesOut said:

Ok. What do you base that on? Just curious.

Ridley signed for $23 million a year, and he is older and has been less productive. So Smith can clearly ask for more. 

39 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Ridley signed for $23 million a year, and he is older and has been less productive. So Smith can clearly ask for more. 

Yeesh. Thanks, I didn't see that.

So, the Iggles could possibly have two $100M WRs soon. Ahhhhh I remember the days of Todd Pinkston and James Thrash. 😂

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Yeah it’s going to be an interesting one because based on numbers he’s the #2 here. So can he ask for more than Brown? But as we all know contracts move on and players get more every year as the cap rises.

1 minute ago, Portyansky said:

IMG-20240415-WA0000.jpg

Happy freaking days!!! So glad they got this one done.

$25m AAV is a steal. Going to have multiple WRs break the $30m mark this year.

• Like 2

Glad to see him locked up for the long term. They exercised his 5th year option as well so he'll be here for another 4 years minimum.

Does that mean Smith's and Brown's contracts end the same year?

Super happy they locked him up before the others could mess with the market

• Like 1

So if quick math's add up... 5yr 91m. STEAL!!!!

7 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Does that mean Smith's and Brown's contracts end the same year?

Brown's contract voids in February 2027

so 3 for 25 is not bad at all. kid is a #1. best hands on the team and can do everything you need. the way he plays is great to watch

6 minutes ago, metal said:

Brown's contract voids in February 2027

Thanks. I guess I could have looked it up lol. 

So just enough for a 3peat...

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 11:00 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

I’ve got some spare change laying around if it helps. 

And I didn’t have to give up my spare change!

Win-win!!

:groovy:

• Haha 1

This contract screams "I want to win football games as a Philadelphia Eagle."

He is essentially playing for less than $20 million a year for the next five years. So Christian Kirk numbers. Meanwhile, Lamb, Jefferson, Chase, Waddle, Aiyuk and St. Brown are all probably going to be seeking way more than $25 million a year.

This extension and the one given to Mailata are absolute steals.

• Like 1

Well, they probably aren't wrong