CB Isiah Rodgers Reinstated From Suspended List

time2rock

25 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I haven't seen a single person over value, over hype or get excited about him or call him a stud. He was a risk/reward type signing to see if he could contribute on special teams and depth in the secondary. For the Colts, he was a rising player they were developing. That got put on hold, and being off a year he will have to shake off rust and see what he can contribute. 

But you're taking the opposite route, downplaying him. You note he only defended 10 passes, true. He had 3 Interceptions though, that's quite a ratio.

Check out this summary from CBS Sports:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-reinstates-eagles-isaiah-rodgers-from-gambling-suspension-why-ex-colt-could-be-phillys-secret-weapon/

All a function of not really playing.  His ratio of PD to TD isn’t so hot.  It’s actually awful.  But when you don’t play, the numbers mean less.

18 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

All a function of not really playing.  His ratio of PD to TD isn’t so hot.  It’s actually awful.  But when you don’t play, the numbers mean less.

And he was set to probably get more playing time before the suspension. He was a young player who contributed a lot on special teams and was playing part-time defensive snaps. He was a 6th round pick. He played 48% of snaps. We have 1st round picks that get that amount of snaps in their first couple seasons.

It's a low risk signing of a guy to see what he can contribute. After being off a year he may not work out. They've got some other young corners they were developing last year. There's really no reason to be so negative about it but you do you. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Rodgers has played around 1,000 defensive snaps in his career. He has three INTs, 10 passes defended, a forced fumble and two tackles for a loss. He's given up 6.9 yards per target and 7 TDs. He has been targeted 101 times and given up 688 yards.

As a comparison, Slay played around 1,000 snaps in 2022 and made the pro bowl. He was targeted 79 times with 14 passes defended. He gave up 6.7 yards per target and 5 TDs. He also had three interceptions, no forced fumbles and no tackles for a loss. He gave up 532 yards.

Obviously he has been out of football for a year, and you can't really project what a player will do over a full season based on parts of three seasons. But I am somewhat mystified that anyone would look at this signing and immediately dismiss it as non-consequential.

Starting corners in this league don't fall out of the sky. But this one did. We should be happy about it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, eagle45 said:

He's a JAG dude.  He's defended 10 passes in his career, gave up the same QB rating in 2022 as Bradberry in 2023. 

This is a good example of why I appreciate PFF and other analytical observations of players. There are no shortage of fans that still believe pure stats without context are the end-all in debate. Oh no! He gave up the same QB rating as Bradberry! He played 430 defensive snaps in 2022. He was targeted 29 times, allowing 17 receptions for 192 yards and 3 TDs. He had 0 INTs that season. Put those numbers in a QB rating generator and you get his result. Now, how would you rate his play on the rest of the passing downs? PFF gave him the 6th highest coverage grade in the NFL, not just because of 29 targets, but those combined with 200+ other passing snaps he played where he was in coverage. Most QBs don't throw to a covered receiver often. That's why I like PFF --- they grade every snap. That's also why some fans hate PFF, because PFF challenges their antiquated stat-sheet conclusions. If stats were all the mattered, then most RBs would be the NFL's best QBs. Marcus Allen had a career QB rating of 106.8 (Tom Brady's career rating is 97.2). In 1990, Keith Byars threw  4-4, 52 yards and 4 TDs, for a perfect 158.3 rating. 

All I'm saying is that you are ignoring that he wasn't targeted very much and according to PFF (that did watch, analyze, and grade every single snap of every player), it was likely because his coverage was well above the NFL average.  

None of us know how this will all play out. For all I know, Bradberry rebounds from a poor season and makes all-pro again. All I can tell you is the Eagles, without investing anything, have a good, young, up and coming prospect with NFL experience to evaluate in their system. I'm excited to see what he does. If he makes the team and can help us win games, what's wrong with that?

• Like 1

I have nothing against Rodgers or the flier the Eagles took on him.  He’s not good, young, or up and coming.

Hes 26, didn’t play last year, and never did much of note in this league.  Just don’t make more of this than it is.

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

He’s not good, young, or up and coming.

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, NOTW said:

And he was set to probably get more playing time before the suspension. He was a young player who contributed a lot on special teams and was playing part-time defensive snaps. He was a 6th round pick. He played 48% of snaps. We have 1st round picks that get that amount of snaps in their first couple seasons.

It's a low risk signing of a guy to see what he can contribute. After being off a year he may not work out. They've got some other young corners they were developing last year. There's really no reason to be so negative about it but you do you. 

You have to remember who you're talking to

• Like 1

he passed the eye test his rookie year

this can only help imho

Low risk potential high reward move by Howie that could pay dividends next season. 

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with having signed him.  It isn't as if we had to give up any draft picks to get him.  He's guaranteed nothing other than a chance to compete for a spot.  If he plays well enough to earn one great.  If he doesn't and gets cut then whatever ... no loss.  I don't think anyone feels as if he is the next coming of Deion Sanders.  

Rodgers is a question mark mainly because he sat out a year but he’s crazy athletic and has a ton of upside. Sure he didn’t play a lot but to say he wasn’t good when he did I don’t think is true. 

With our new draft pick, what are we going to do with all these CBs?  I wonder if Bradberry, McPhearson, Ricks, Maddox or Jobe have any trade value?  I guess we’ll cut Bradberry soon to save money but we still have alot of cbs. 

I'm confused with the thread title. Was he reinstated? I thought he remains suspended because he was the only one of the group betting on his own team.

7 minutes ago, Devaster said:

I'm confused with the thread title. Was he reinstated? I thought he remains suspended because he was the only one of the group betting on his own team.

Yes. That's why the thread title says so. :P

There was a post with the news on the 1st page.

9 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Initially 5 other players that were suspended for gambling were reinstated ... Rodgers was not one at that time.  He has since been reinstated so I edited the thread title to reflect the updated status.  ;)

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Initially 5 other players that were suspended for gambling were reinstated ... Rodgers was not one at that time.  He has since been reinstated so I edited the thread title to reflect the updated status.  ;)

Nice. I missed those posts. Good signing that ended up working out. Will have to see how he fits into the rotation, but we suddenly have a lot of quality depth at CB with Quinyon drafted as well. Something we have sorely lacked for over a decade at CB.

2 hours ago, eggs said:

I guess we’ll cut Bradberry soon to save money but we still have alot of cbs. 

Not saving any money. Cutting him costs $11 million above his $4 million cap number. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Not saving any money. Cutting him costs $11 million above his $4 million cap number. 

Unless they cut him after June 1 - then the dead cap hit in 2024 is only $4.3M (his current cap number).  

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Unless they cut him after June 1 - then the dead cap hit in 2024 is only $4.3M (his current cap number).  

Yup. After June 1 is doable. But he's not getting traded or cut anytime soon (unless the team designates him a post june 1.)

29 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Yup. After June 1 is doable. But he's not getting traded or cut anytime soon (unless the team designates him a post june 1.)

Being able to carry 90 until just before the season starts there really is no rush to cut him.  They can get a good look at him during the camps and pre-season games (should they play him ... and I think they should) and also the other younger CBs to see where everyone is at.  If he looks like ish still and the others are outplaying him by a wide margin they can cut him later.  

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Being able to carry 90 until just before the season starts there really is no rush to cut him.  They can get a good look at him during the camps and pre-season games (should they play him ... and I think they should) and also the other younger CBs to see where everyone is at.  If he looks like ish still and the others are outplaying him by a wide margin they can cut him later.  

I'm kind of curious if there would be any trade interest at all. I think he's capable of playing better than he did last year. So even if trading him gives us a large dead cap hit, maybe we could at least get something in return. Howie has moved a few guys in the past that didn't look like they would be worth anything. 

But like you said, there's no hurry to do anything. Let the young guys push the old guys and see how it plays out. When the picture becomes more clear, we can decide who stays. Maybe Bradberry shows up this year and due to a numbers crunch somebody else gets traded. 

As of right now, I don't expect Slay, CJGJ and Blankenship to play at all in the preseason. But that leaves a lot of guys in the secondary that need to show something in the preseason (Bradberry, Ringo, McPhearson, Jobe, Hall, Rodgers, Ricks, Garner, Goodrich, McCollum and hopefully Sydney Brown). Obviously Mitchell hasn't won a starting gig just yet, so maybe they give him some preseason work as well.  Could this be the year preseason has a reason to be exciting for a change? We may not even be done adding DBs in the draft and will more than likely sign a couple undrafted rookies as well. 

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

We may not even be done adding DBs in the draft and will more than likely sign a couple undrafted rookies as well. 

You would be correct sir lol