Alex smith return?

DBW

On 7/24/2020 at 9:27 PM, DBW said:

Amazing he might see the field again.  https://apple.news/AysatCgxNSiOWXPqSnJFCRA

After seeing the video of the wounded area of the leg go totally  BLACK  whilst healing I'm thinking it's time to hang up the cleats and have a nice life.

OK, I  'get it'  you're competitive, you don't give up easily, the money's great etc. etc.

How much abuse is enough?  Every time he goes down he risks re-injury.          

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, McNabbIsDone said:

After seeing the video of the wounded area of the leg go totally  BLACK  whilst healing I'm thinking it's time to hang up the cleats and have a nice life.

OK, I  'get it'  you're competitive, you don't give up easily, the money's great etc. etc.

Right!  Lucky to have the leg!! Forget playing man, just enjoy walking and playing with you kids.  

• Like 1

Maybe we can trade for him and include him in our QB factory

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Maybe we can trade for him and include him in our QB factory

Like.... for spare parts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm actually glad he's just getting back and that he won't be ready by week 1.  Eagles suck against Alex Smith.  He's one of those "above average" QB's who seems to light this defense up with 15+ play drives all game.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I for one am rooting for Alex to get a start.  At the same time, I really think he should retire while he can still walk.  

8 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Yeah, I for one am rooting for Alex to get a start.  At the same time, I really think he should retire while he can still walk.  

Agreed, I know athletes are competitive but come on Alex another injury to that leg would be devastating.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:21 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The fact he's even considering it and it's even a possibility is pretty remarkable  stupid.

FYP

I think he would have retired if it weren't for his current situation.  Haskins, the 2nd year QB who might not be able to grasp the position and bust PLUS a brand new head coach that will probably have a very short leash.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 1:09 PM, McNabbIsDone said:

He's not risking anything that every single other player isn't risking. A person's window for playing professional sports is so small, that if that's what you love doing, you can't afford to pass it up while you're still capable. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 11:29 PM, brkmsn said:

He's not risking anything that every single other player isn't risking.  

Of course he is  . . .  the other players don't have a surgically repaired (a total of 17 surgeries !) lower leg that was broken in two and then infected !

His risk is much greater in that the opposing defenses are going to target him specifically because they know his weakness ! 

Never mind the fact that the defenses are always gunning for the QB anyways !

There's a very good reason why Joe Theisman never played again after LT snapped his lower leg in two. In fact, Theisman's

injury wasn't as bad as the Alex Smith's. Theisman's injury was a clean break of snapped bones. Smith's injury was called a

'Spiral Fracture'  because the bones were broken as a result of twisting force upon the leg, rather than a clean break.  Ickk !

13 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Of course he is  . . .  the other players don't have a surgically repaired lower leg that was broken in two and then infected !

His risk is much greater in that the opposing defenses are going to target him specifically because they know his weakness ! 

Never mind the fact that the defenses are always gunning for the QB anyways !

There's a very good reason why Joe Theisman never played again after LT snapped his lower leg in two. In fact, Theisman's

injury wasn't as bad as the Alex Smith's. Theisman's injury was a clean break of snapped bones. Smith's injury was called a

'Spiral Fracture'  because the bones were broken as a result of twisting force upon the leg, rather than a clean break.  Yuck . . . !

There have been 30 years of medical advancements since Theismann retired. At that same time period it took Wes Hopkins almost  2 years to recover from a knee injury that today would have taken half that time. Wes wasn't physically the same player when he returned and that was still at a pretty young age (25) unlike Theismann (36). 

Alex Smith is a couple seasons removed from football and is now 36 years old himself. He may not be the same player either after all has happened. He may prove to be more valuable as a QB2 now than as a QB1 for a team, which would lower any risk to him. But if the doctors all clear him for football, then his risk is no different than anybody else's. If he wants to play, then more power to him. It's his life and his "football player" window is closing. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, brkmsn said:

There have been 30 years of medical advancements since Theisman retired.

You mean the same advancements couldn't stop the infection that almost lost the leg and / or killed Alex Smith due to sepsis ?  okfinewhatever

You're all over the place with irrelevant stuff. Comparing broken bones with spiral fracture & sepsis to a knee injury is apples & oranges.

You said, "He's not risking anything that every single other player isn't risking."  I showed you how he is indeed at greater risk and why.

I've said everything I wanted to say . . . as far as I'm concerned this topic is exhausted. 

27 minutes ago, McNabbIsDone said:

I showed you how he is indeed at greater risk and why.

I've said everything I wanted to say . . . as far as I'm concerned this subject is exhausted. 

If the doctors clear him (for football), then he is cleared  and not facing any additional risk. You have not shown me how he's at a greater risk than anyone else. You merely speculated that defenses will target his leg (even though the rules prohibit that and most players would never do that.) Sepsis is kind of a freak thing and once you are about a year past such an occurrence, it's very unlikely you would get it again. If Smith is cleared and actually plays, he's much more likely to get a concussion or covid then to suffer a similar leg injury. Your entire argument is just a slippery slope designed to support your opinion that he shouldn't play --- nothing more.

It's always cool when you want to back down in an argument because someone else refuses to agree with your opinion. It must be exhausting! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paco said:

Probably Washington's worse nightmare that Alex Smith still wants to play

Smith would beat out Haskins in a legitimate starting QB battle. 

I know Alex really wants to play, but damn... I kinda wish he wouldn't. He has his health and his family and seems to be a genuinely good dude. Call it a day and walk away while you still amazingly can.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

I know Alex really wants to play, but damn... I kinda wish he wouldn't. He has his health and his family and seems to be a genuinely good dude. Call it a day and walk away while you still amazingly can.

Haskins stinks but Smith is 36 and that injury is tough to come back from.  I don't think it is a sure thing he could beat him out.  

38 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

Haskins stinks but Smith is 36 and that injury is tough to come back from.  I don't think it is a sure thing he could beat him out.  

Yes with that injury and at his age he may get happy feet in the pocket. 

22 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Smith from 2 years ago would win for sure. He's still young enough to have good years left as a QB, but he may have to take the Vick road after 2 years away. He may have to accept a backup role now while he regains his form and wait for an opportunity to get back on the field.  

Who says he can't play a few more years and still walk away after that?