The Rookies

time2rock

The Rookies

Posted: May 4th, 2024 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

The Eagles rookie camp got underway on Friday. This wasn’t serious competition. As Nick Sirianni explained, these guys have been doing Combine training and aren’t in football shape. Sprinting 40 yards from a track stance is different than actual football drills.

Sirianni’s goal was to ease the new guys into things. Limit the playbook and focus on getting the guys on the field to let them run around and get back into football.

There wasn’t a whole lot to take away from today, other than the rookies all looking great and being future Hall of Famers.

The Eagles drafted Johnny Wilson as a WR. He’s going to play WR. Yes, he’s 6-6, 231 and that is huge for a wideout. But look at his movement ability.

That is a WR, not a TE. I don’t know if he’ll pan out, but he has legit receiver skills and ability.

Trevor Keegan started all but one game at LG while in college. The other start came at LT. While he’s got OT size at 6-5, 310, he doesn’t have OT athleticism, footwork or length. Keegan needs to play on the inside. He does have positional flexibility there.

image.thumb.png.d10a4632c5ded6d82e2142f5f1c4b241.png

The Eagles have a battle at RG, with Tyler Steen going against Matt Henessy and Keegan. Dylan McMahon played G and C in college, but I’m guessing they see him as more of a center. Whoever doesn’t start will have a chance to win the Sua Opeta role as primary backup on the inside. The more you can do, the better your chances are.

image.thumb.png.b1d9a89484393b6188bf2b1255ff39f8.png

Good piece by Devin on the rookie OL and how they fit in.

Speaking of the OL, Sirianni said newly-signed Mekhi Becton will start out at OT. That’s the smart move. Becton has OT size and experience. I think Jeff Stoutland should focus on getting the most out of him at OT before you think about moving him to a new position. Becton has real value if he can play well and become a good #3 OT.

If you’re into numbers, here you go.

image.thumb.png.e3bef5f2326a96fe8c958ed0188700ae.png

I have mixed feelings on Trotter wearing 54. On one hand, it is pretty darn cool. On the other hand, doesn’t that keep him in his dad’s shadow? He’s got the same name and plays the same position so I realize the comparisons will be constant. I just wonder if choosing something else might have helped him carve out his own niche. I guess the real key is how he plays.

image.png.263ada5dc4d35d3c7cb2ab34aa63a264.png

The veteran tryouts are interesting. I would guess they won’t pan out, but those guys have had success in the NFL. They are absolutely work taking a look at.

The Eagles put together a great video on the draft. This is definitely worth your time. There are a few cheesy moments, but it is always fun to look behind the curtain and see how the draft process actually works. You can also see clips from the Eagles Red Star meeting. Very cool stuff.

The Eagles targeted some of the Day 3 guys they got. This might help you to understand just how specific teams are with players. You and I put together a long list. Teams tend to have 80-125 players on their draft list. They are picky about who they select. That doesn’t mean the players will pan out of course, but you at least know the team isn’t just taking anyone. They really like some of these guys.

Here is some great player analysis from Fran Duffy. More must watch material.

https://twitter.com/EaglesXOs/status/1785406132829175894

If you want to read more about the picks, BLG put together some good stuff for you.

image.png.f46fbca6bc0f8fc17fcf920b179bc651.png

Some good nuggets in there.

http://igglesblitz.com/2024/05/the-rookies/