Eagles Sign WR John Ross

time2rock

IMG_1759.jpeg

They keep looking for that speed element that they wanted with Quez.  At this point, I'd be shocked if Ross can offer much.  He may be (or was) fast, but apparently he can't, you know, play football very well.

• Like 1

Camp body. I'm more intrigued about seeing what the rookies have to offer. 

He should be announcing his retirement any day now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Ross announced he was retiring in July, 2023.  Will be interesting to see if he is committed this time or pulls a Parker.  

Lol I forgot all about him

One-trick pony who was never a good WR.  And his body is made of tissue-paper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

He should be announcing his retirement any day now.

That would complete the Gore, Jack, Parker Mt Rushmore 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

That would complete the Gore, Jack, Parker Mt Rushmore 

The only difference would be that Gore never retired ... he just changed his mind last minute and chose to sign with the Colts instead.  He was just pissed when he saw we traded Foles and let Maclin walk and thought at that point Indy gave him a better chance at a ring.  

I'd have preferred Laquon Treadwell or Russell Gage

Can’t be worse than Mike Wallace and can’t be much worse than Desean 2.0.

5 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

One-trick pony who was never a good WR.  And his body is made of tissue-paper.

He did have 4.22 speed.  And in 2018 he was OK. If he is not a fluke this season...and is trying ..maybe he could provide enough to soften the coverage. Not expecting any production from him...but hoping he can pull at least 1 defender his way, to give other guys better production.

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

He did have 4.22 speed.  And in 2018 he was OK. If he is not a fluke this season...and is trying ..maybe he could provide enough to soften the coverage. Not expecting any production from him...but hoping he can pull at least 1 defender his way, to give other guys better production.

He’s probably sort of injury/failure protection for Parris Campbell.  He’ll probably go to the PS, collect a paycheck, and be ready to get called up if/when Campbell gets hurt.

• Like 1

People keep saying he was just a speed guy but I think you might be confusing him with Tavon Austin.  Ross was a good college WR.  Now it never fully translated but coming into the draft he was respected as a WR

• Like 2

On 5/24/2024 at 3:15 AM, pgcd3 said:

People keep saying he was just a speed guy but I think you might be confusing him with Tavon Austin.  Ross was a good college WR.  Now it never fully translated but coming into the draft he was respected as a WR

Yeah I’d agree with this. He wasn’t just a fast guy but due to his 40 time at the combine he was drafted too high.

On 5/23/2024 at 12:38 PM, EaglesAddict said:

They keep looking for that speed element that they wanted with Quez.  At this point, I'd be shocked if Ross can offer much.  He may be (or was) fast, but apparently he can't, you know, play football very well.

I think the bigger problem in his career was health. At this point he’s probably washed of any potential other than a bottom of the roster deep threat, but early in his career he flashed legitimate talent — not just as a deep threat but, funny enough, a red zone target in his second season.

The guy just kept getting injured, unfortunately. But I think if he didn’t have that season ending injury in his first game as a rookie he could have been a really good player. 

• Like 1

Ross just need to be good enough to be a backup to Smith and Brown on the outside.  Quez was just too unreliable unfortunately.  But they still need to figure out slot WR.    

Now you see him; now you don't.

Ross is a speed guy and out of football for a year.  He claims to have his speed, though the football skills need to be reactivated.  Give him a chance to show what he can do in the summer.  Even if he does not make the roster, he stands a good chance to make the PS where his speed will be valuable to keep the secondary in check to cover speedy WRs.

Apparently Ross is being consistent enough to place himself in consideration for that 3rd WR spot. If they can get anything of value out of the position it is a plus from last season. The bar is very low.

17 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Apparently Ross is being consistent enough to place himself in consideration for that 3rd WR spot. If they can get anything of value out of the position it is a plus from last season. The bar is very low.

Think that's a scheme thing or a Hurts thing?

On 6/9/2024 at 5:14 PM, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Think that's a scheme thing or a Hurts thing?

You forgot the other one: was it the fault of the WR3?

That would depend on who you ask because around here, people like to exaggerate based on how much they dislike certain players, coaches, etc...

My answer would be that it was a little bit of everything. The scheme certainly played a role and Sirianni was not shy about telling people in press conferences that the passing game went through 3 guys. Then you had opportunities like the screen to Quez where he obviously didn't follow the block correctly and failed to convert a 3rd and 2, setting up a FG... or the pass into the back of the endzone that bounced right off Zaccheaus' facemask ... you know, plays where the receiver just didn't execute. Then there were plays where the 3rd WR on the field is actually looking for the ball and getting open and Hurts locked in on somebody else that was covered, missing an opportunity. All 3 of those reasons contributed and every once in a while, a defense just plays great defense against certain calls and it's not necessarily the fault of anybody on the offense. 

The challenge for Moore will be to get as much of the correctable things corrected as possible.