The dreaded Asterisk *

Fresh_Prince

If a 2020 NFL season occurs it will be under significantly different circumstances and with significantly different conditions than any other NFL year. Do you think whoever wins the Super Bowl this year will forever have the win tainted by that fact? I know that if the Eagles still had never won one but won in 2020, we'd never hear the end of it from NFC East enemy fans about how 2020 'wasn't a real season.'.

Would a bad team that never won one (Lions, Browns, Cardinals for example) suffer strong from the 2020 asterisk? Would a Chiefs repeat feel less tainted than others because they proved themselves in 2019?

Not really. But if the Redskins won, it would add to their collection of weird wins, following their Lombardis in '82 and '87, both of which were strike years.

• Like 4

Yes and no. We will remember the circumstances, but everyone has to deal with it. A champion is a champion.

The NFL strike in 1982 cancelled 7 games. The 1987 NFL strike cancelled one game, and they played 3 weeks with replacement players that counted in the standings. The Washington Football Team doesn't have an asterisk and it doesn't really count against them. So long-term, no, I don't think it matters.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fresh_Prince said:

If a 2020 NFL season occurs it will be under significantly different circumstances and with significantly different conditions than any other NFL year. Do you think whoever wins the Super Bowl this year will forever have the win tainted by that fact? I know that if the Eagles still had never won one but won in 2020, we'd never hear the end of it from NFC East enemy fans about how 2020 'wasn't a real season.'.

Would a bad team that never won one (Lions, Browns, Cardinals for example) suffer strong from the 2020 asterisk? Would a Chiefs repeat feel less tainted than others because they proved themselves in 2019?

Two of the three rings that the R-words Football Team have were from strike shortened seasons.  So they can STFU.

Dallas fans would be extra obnoxious though.

I’d be more surprised if there actually is a Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 8:29 AM, toolg said:

The NFL strike in 1982 canceled 7 games. The 1987 NFL strike canceled one game, and they played 3 weeks with replacement players that counted in the standings. The Washington Football Team doesn't have an asterisk and it doesn't really count against them. So long-term, no, I don't think it matters.

Except for  NITWIT  fans of opposing teams on message boards like this one.

i hope all of the starters on other teams that are opting out are on the schedule. I don't care one bit how they win it all, except for cheating, so go out and win it all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 8:29 AM, toolg said:

Yes and no. We will remember the circumstances, but everyone has to deal with it. A champion is a champion.

The NFL strike in 1982 cancelled 7 games. The 1987 NFL strike cancelled one game, and they played 3 weeks with replacement players that counted in the standings. The Washington Football Team doesn't have an asterisk and it doesn't really count against them. So long-term, no, I don't think it matters.

This.  It would take some pretty extenuating circumstances to get an asterisk, like a champion being declared without having played playoffs.