Are the patriots using COVID to tank?

paco

The Patriots currently have 8 people opt out on the COVID.  The next closest team has 3.

Is it possible that the Patriots are leveraging this rule to not only push contracts out, but to tank this year for a high draft pick to get their next QB :o 

I found a complete list here: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-players-opting-out-2020-season/cr1pgi9ju4si114b3xsbhtpve . I think I missed that Goodwin has already opted out!

Anyhow, the Pats have (by far) the most and the biggest names.  Your theory is not crazy and farfetched.  I could easily see BB telling the payers to prioritize their health.  In the end, the Pats get the best of both world.  You get healthy & rested players for the 2021 season and a better pick.  

Honestly do not think it's going to matter because there is no way that there will be a season.........I'm more curious as to how they will handle draft order if there is not season.  They literally might have to do a full lottery of all the teams and the draft order.  You cannot cancel the season and have the same draft order from the previous year.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Honestly do not think it's going to matter because there is no way that there will be a season.........I'm more curious as to how they will handle draft order if there is not season.  They literally might have to do a full lottery of all the teams and the draft order.  You cannot cancel the season and have the same draft order from the previous year.  

A lottery would be cool, but hopefully it would be a snake-style draft (ie: whoever picks last in round 1 picks first in round 2, whoever picks second-last in round 1 picks second in round two etc).

2 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

A lottery would be cool, but hopefully it would be a snake-style draft (ie: whoever picks last in round 1 picks first in round 2, whoever picks second-last in round 1 picks second in round two etc).

Fantasy style!  But they'll have to come up with something....and talk about a lottery show....that would absolutely be something to watch.

I'd like the Eagles (and Phillies) to tank these seasons.  If it's unlikely to not have a Super Bowl, why try to win?

Teams with a lot of cap space hit FA hard teams without it's the draft. In order to foster a competitive balance it should be as follows:

Team with least cap space picks first and team with the most picks last.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Teams with a lot of cap space hit FA hard teams without it's the draft. In order to foster a competitive balance it should be as follows:

Team with least cap space picks first and team with the most picks last.

One of the formulas to win it all is to have a team with a QB on a rookie deal (The other is to have Tom Brady). This would tank the QB market and honestly FAs overall. 

The NFLPA would never agree to anything that would incentivize NOT paying players

On 8/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, paco said:

One of the formulas to win it all is to have a team with a QB on a rookie deal (The other is to have Tom Brady). This would tank the QB market and honestly FAs overall. 

The NFLPA would never agree to anything that would incentivize NOT paying players

The formula I offered ensures the Eagles get the #1 overall pick. That's all that matters.

• Like 1

I just realized I read it backwards :blush:

I wouldn't put anything past the Patriots... But it doesn't get them out of any contracts as it just pushes the contract down the line a year?

On 8/5/2020 at 2:04 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't put anything past the Patriots... But it doesn't get them out of any contracts as it just pushes the contract down the line a year?

I’m not sure how it works with the contracts but I think they ARE tanking but without having to actually trade/cut good players like Miami did. They’re taking advantage of this weird year to have a bad season for high draft picks, in addition to opt out players coming right back next season. 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:04 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And the player has to pay back the $150,000. There is no way to incentivize the players to participate in a tanking scheme.