Why one NFL analyst believes the Eagles are a 'perfect spot' for Antonio Brown

UK_EaglesFan89

Why one NFL analyst believes the Eagles are a 'perfect spot' for Antonio Brown

p

This has been a strange year, and sometimes strange things beget strange things.

The Eagles signing walking locker room distraction Antonio Brown? Yep, that would be strange.

But at least one NFL analyst believes Brown and the Birds would be an ideal pairing.

Mike Florio put that opinion forward Monday morning on ProFootballTalk, as he and Chris Simms each chose three teams they think are "most likely" to sign the embattled wideout. Here's the list they came up with:

Seahawks, Packers, Patriots, Eagles, Steelers, and Saints.

The Eagles were listed fourth in the duo's discussion. Here's why Florio thinks Brown landing in Philly is a good idea:

I will go with the Eagles next. They need that threat, they need that presence. And especially with the stuff that went down with DeSean Jackson several weeks ago - even though that has died down, from a health standpoint you don't know what you're getting from Jackson. He had a great Week 1 game last year, and then he was nothing the rest of the season. He's older, older than Antonio Brown by a year or two. And you look at the lack of weapons around Carson Wentz, and you think back to what Wentz was able to do with a revolving door of slappys last year. 

I think the Eagles would be a perfect spot, and I think that's an organization that could find a way to - you remember the emotional intelligence buzzword from Jeffrey Lurie, the owner of the team, when they hired Doug Pederson to be the coach. I feel like Pederson could find a way to press the buttons, and hold it together, and get the most out of Antonio Brown. It would really make that offense better.

I understand what Florio is saying here. Pederson has indeed shown an ability to hold a locker room together in the face of adversity - the Josina Anderson-Carson Wentz leaks, for example. And the Eagles, when they signed Michael Vick in 2009, showed a willingness to give second chances.

But I don't see this one happening.

For one, Brown was suspended last week by the NFL for the first eight games of the 2020 season. Brown was suspended for multiple violations of the league's personal-conduct policy, and he still has an ongoing league investigation into a lawsuit filed by his former trainer, in which she alleged that she was sexually assaulted by Brown.

Which means the information learned about Brown, and his ultimate punishment from the league, could both get even worse. That simply doesn't sound like a situation the Eagles want to get involved in, no matter how dire their wide receiver situation becomes.

Not to mention that Howie Roseman made a point to try and make the Eagles younger this offseason, and Brown, 32, simply doesn't fit that approach.

Would Brown make the Eagles better if - not when - he eventually played in a regular season game? Yeah. We don't know what kind of football shape he'd be in after extended time off, but Brown caught four passes for 56 yards and a touchdown in his only 2019 appearance, and he was one of the two or three best receivers in the league from 2013 to 2018. Brown can obviously still play, even if he might never return to his absolute peak form.

Still, I'd be absolutely shocked if that upside outweighed the almost innumerable risks that come with adding a player like Brown.

Brown has said he is looking forward to "new beginnings" after his suspension, and that may be true. I just don't think he'll find that beginning in Philadelphia.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/antonio-brown-nfl-analyst-eagles-perfect-spot-signing-2020

He'd definitely make this team better and I do think Doug and our locker room could handle him. But I still want no part of Brown here. 

I expect Jackson to miss a couple games. I don't expect him to miss 8 games. ... Yeah ... Jackson made the news for something stupid a few weeks ago. Brown does that at every opportunity.

• Like 1

I don't see this happening either for those reasons stated above (Brown's impending suspension and the youth movement).  But the one reason not mentioned (and likely the one that speaks the loudest other than being a total nutcase) is the cap situation.  One could argue they could look to sign him to a team friendly contract (he may not have many offers and would be forced to choose between playing somewhat on the cheap or not playing at all).  But if they passed on adding any vet RBs (which I am guessing is likely due mostly to wanting to preserve any precious remaining cap space), I don't see them signing Brown (which would cost more than a RB).

New title: 'Why one NFL analyst should give up Shrooms'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Wormlegs said:

Hello No. I'd rather them sign Kevin Curtis🙃

Or TO... No? Too far? OK...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Or TO... No? Too far? OK...

Riley Cooper, Mack Hollins? 🤡

Love to have him but don't think there's a chance in hell it happens. 

I guess being stuck at home with nothing to write could lead to experimenting with drugs. The question is what is Florio's drug of choice? I'll go old school........ Acid. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I guess being stuck at home with nothing to write could lead to experimenting with drugs. The question is what is Florio's drug of choice? I'll go old school........ Acid. 

Whatever he's taking... I want no part of it.