LB Jatavis Brown Retires

time2rock

That makes us down 3 players already for the season. Good times this team is

• Like 1

Yeah, heart must not be in it. He has made some dough, and he can say he played at the highest level. I respect someone who has bigger aspirations for his life than the NFL, as long as he puts in the effort when he is in the league and knows when to call it quits.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

Yeah, heart must not be in it. He has made some dough, and he can say he played at the highest level. I respect someone who has bigger aspirations for his life than the NFL, as long as he puts in the effort when he is in the league and knows when to call it quits.

Some people get upset when people don't want to play football anymore to entertain them. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Some people get upset when people don't want to play football anymore to entertain them. 

I know, its funny... and it also is not at all funny

• Like 2

It’s a shame we didn’t get to see what he could do here in our defense ... given the lack of experienced depth he had a decent shot at significant play time.  But I can’t say I care much.  Looking forward to seeing some of the young guys to see what they offer (last year’s UDFAs Edwards and Singleton, plus this year’s draft picks Taylor and Bradley, and 2020 UDFA Olson too).  Crazy that, other than them, only Gerry and Riley are on the current roster.  So you know that means a few of those young bucks are going to make it (even if we pick up a vet LB as players get released).  

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

First of all, for me personally, I am not upset with the guy.  That's his right.

But the season starts in 1 month.  There is a better time to walk away than 1 month before the season with a new team.

Walking away from any job is tricky and you have to do what's right for you.  But that absolutely involves upsetting people if it's bad timing.

• Like 1

Better he goes and gives nothing to the team than if he stayed and gave nothing to the team, other than an employee to pay.

• Like 4

Oh. I mean that's a bit of a blow. The LB position was already really thin and lacking experience. It just got even worse. 

8 hours ago, eagle45 said:

First of all, for me personally, I am not upset with the guy.  That's his right.

But the season starts in 1 month.  There is a better time to walk away than 1 month before the season with a new team.

Walking away from any job is tricky and you have to do what's right for you.  But that absolutely involves upsetting people if it's bad timing.

Florio recently wrote something about an option for players to retire if they are unsure of taking the opt-out option by the deadline (allowing them to "unretire" later should they feel better about the safety protocols the league has in place).  Wonder if Brown is the first player exercising this choice?  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/06/for-players-considering-opt-outs-dont-forget-the-retirement-option/

12 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Florio recently wrote something about an option for players to retire if they are unsure of taking the opt-out option by the deadline (allowing them to "unretire" later should they feel better about the safety protocols the league has in place).  Wonder if Brown is the first player exercising this choice?  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/06/for-players-considering-opt-outs-dont-forget-the-retirement-option/

True maybe something with his family situation has changed

There should be some kind of compensation for a player retiring a month before the season after signing with a new team. First pick in the 2022 draft sounds about right, gotta keep things fair. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

There should be some kind of compensation for a player retiring a month before the season after signing with a new team. First pick in the 2022 draft sounds about right, gotta keep things fair. 

Fair is fair. Especially when that player was going to have a similar impact to a first round pick... 😇

10 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Howie would still f it up :ph34r:

:P

If you aren't going to love the game and play with heart- C'ya. If you are "protecting yourself from the virus"- fine, but you might get hit by a truck, too- so stay home.

Maybe he wasn't getting the reps at LB he thought he deserved rather than "Covid" because he had weeks to opt out and he didn't...I am thinking this is more of an Ego thing than anything. 

On 8/12/2020 at 9:57 PM, Talonblood said:

If you aren't going to love the game and play with heart- C'ya. If you are "protecting yourself from the virus"- fine, but you might get hit by a truck, too- so stay home.

If he's just not enjoying the game anymore then it's best that he does retire. 

• Like 1