ILB and OLB - Thin and Need help

eagles1st

With the loss of Brown the linebacker is thinner now and was thin even with him on the roster.  The retirement now gives up to 3 rookies an opportunity to show something but I would think we would trade for OR sign a FA linebacker to give us the semblance of some depth and strength to back up our DL.  

Thoughts?

I think it likely they add a vet as more players get released to get rosters down to 55 (is that the new roster size this year?).

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I think it likely they add a vet as more players get released to get rosters down to 55 (is that the new roster size this year?).

I think they have to right? Anyone know if that LB that went to Baltimore is available again... 😁

39 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think they have to right? Anyone know if that LB that went to Baltimore is available again... 😁

LJ Fort?  I believe he is a starter there now.  It’s unfortunate he never really got an opportunity here.  He came here a year too early.  

Let's check in with an expert...

Are we fine there???

Spoiler

About to Start Bawling - Reaction GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

LJ Fort?  I believe he is a starter there now.  It’s unfortunate he never really got an opportunity here.  He came here a year too early.  

That's the one Fort. I know he's a starter there it was a tongue in cheek comment because we really messed up on that decision. 

• Like 1

Free agency is a bit thin,  Haason Reddick is a 1st round bust who's probably worth kicking the tyres on at 25,  Ogletree and Barron are just about adequate starters, Burfict is one stupid tackle away from a career ending suspension, Woodyard is old as time.

Najee Goode and Paul Worrilow are both free agents, if I had to bet who we might sign this year of all years, it'd be one of these as cover and hope the rookies pan out.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:15 PM, eagles1st said:

With the loss of Brown the linebacker is thinner now and was thin even with him on the roster.  The retirement now gives up to 3 rookies an opportunity to show something but I would think we would trade for OR sign a FA linebacker to give us the semblance of some depth and strength to back up our DL.  

Thoughts?

Not surprised this is your first post. You must be a new eagles fan. When was the last time our LBs weren’t thin...

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Allhaildawk said:

Not surprised this is your first post. You must be a new eagles fan. When was the last time our LBs weren’t thin...

Lol Can't remember but Schwartz just doesn't seem to care about LBs

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol Can't remember but Schwartz just doesn't seem to care about LBs

Yeah him and the previous 19 sure

On 8/11/2020 at 5:48 PM, time2rock said:

No he didn't...he was with us the same year and we let him walk.  He goes to Baltimore and is very solid.  Our linebacking core is weak but our talent evaluation there is poor as well.  

On 8/12/2020 at 1:42 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's the one Fort. I know he's a starter there it was a tongue in cheek comment because we really messed up on that decision. 

He started in Pittsburgh, a 3-4 defense, the Eagles took a shot on him during FA to see if he could transition to a 4-3, which he could not, and then he goes to Baltimore, a 3-4 defense and does well.

How exactly did the Eagles mess up that decision other then wanting to take a shot on a cheaper player that might be able to play in a 4-3, but proved unable?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pallidrone said:

He started in Pittsburgh, a 3-4 defense, the Eagles took a shot on him during FA to see if he could transition to a 4-3, which he could not, and then he goes to Baltimore, a 3-4 defense and does well.

I thought he did pretty well and was busy in preseason... a better option than Gerry.

We only play 1 LB most of the game anyways. Really the only way this hurts us is goaline package and special teams. With all the DBs we have Id expect more of the Nickel Big with sub safety at LB package as the base like last year and even more dime packages used as well. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I thought he did pretty well and was busy in preseason... a better option than Gerry.

Fort was a STs player for a good part of his career, was brought in to play STs in Philly and be a spot LB. He played in 4 games and made 2 tackles. He was cut because people were injured and he was only a ST player here. He went to Baltimore and did well, mainly because they are a 3-4 defense that fits his skill set better and they were desperate for LBs. The Eagles kind of play a 4-3 but really play a 4-2-5 defense and only have 2 LBs on the field most of the time.

I dont get all this hate for Gerry. He played great down the stretch last year when he was forced into action and considering that he moved from being a safety in college to LB in the NFL is a big change. I think he is in for a big year this year.

10 hours ago, pallidrone said:

I dont get all this hate for Gerry. He played great down the stretch last year when he was forced into action and considering that he moved from being a safety in college to LB in the NFL is a big change. I think he is in for a big year this year.

Gerry comes up with some big splash plays but overall he's just not a good player it's really that simple. He overruns plays, finds himself in bad positions, he's not a great tackler in all. He's undersized for the position which is fine if he was great in coverage but he's not. 

2 hours ago, kentwo said:

There were some talented LBs in the second round of this year's draft. Didn't we take one then? 

Nope... We took a guy in the third who didn't start playing football until college due to religious reasons.