Doug Pederson hints at big role for Greg Ward Jr. with Eagles this season

UK_EaglesFan89

Doug Pederson hints at big role for Greg Ward Jr. with Eagles this season

Greg Ward Jr. became a great story for the Eagles last season, when he began the year on the practice squad and ended up being their best receiver down the stretch. 

But is he more than a good story? 

Doug Pederson seems to think so. 

The one thing now as he goes into this season, he's in that rotation, in that starting mix for us,” Pederson said on a Zoom call with reporters Wednesday. "It's just a matter of him embracing every day, getting better. Being a former quarterback, he understands our offense. Being in our offense, he knows the concepts and the routes. He and Carson (Wentz) have a really good feel for one another.

"I think for him now it's just a matter of continuing to get better each and every day and putting in the work. We expect some really big things from Greg. He can also be a leader. He can be a leader of that group. Him and DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, these guys, they can be leaders now and mentors to these young players.

In one year’s time, Ward has gone from practice squad player to being a leader in a wide receiver room that includes three draft picks, an undrafted rookie and a second-year draft pick. 

Ward, 25, is technically in Year 4 of his NFL career but he didn’t get a chance to play until the 2019 season and even then he didn’t play until November. 

Ward finished last season with 28 catches for 254 yards and a game-winning touchdown in a huge contest against Washington. 

Maybe Ward will never become a star player in the NFL, but he’s sure-handed, dependable and earned the trust of his quarterback and coaching staff last season. 

If you look at the Eagles’ group of receivers, Ward is probably the top candidate to win the slot job. DeSean Jackson is going to be the starting Z receiver and at the X the Eagles have Alshon Jeffery and J.J. Arcega-Whiteside. Rookie 1st-round pick Jalen Reagor is learning both outside spots. 

Eventually, could Reagor play in the slot? Absolutely. In fact, I’d love to see him in there because he’d bring an explosiveness to the position that Ward probably can’t offer. 

But Ward is going to play a lot in 2020. He’s going to have a chance to become more than a great story.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/greg-ward-doug-pederson-role-2020-fantasy-football

I mean he's making the roster right? We have no other guy who we know can legitimately play in the slot.

In one year’s time, Ward has gone from practice squad player to being a leader in a wide receiver room 

Glad he pointed out later that Ward has been around for some time now.  He spent 3 years on the PS so technically he is a veteran player here.  He knows the offense as well as anyone - in a year in which a pandemic shortened the offseason significantly, that gives him a huge advantage - I fully expect him to be our starting slot WR (at least to start the season).  Looking forward to seeing how much he may have improved relative to last year.  

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe Ward will never become a star player in the NFL, but he’s sure-handed, dependable and earned the trust of his quarterback and coaching staff last season. 

Jason Avant 2.0?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Jason Avant 2.0?

I mean i think he could be a decent long term slot for sure... i like him. 

He's a dependable mid level talent who is best suited for the slot. He's good enough for now, but I'd always have my eyes open for an upgrade over the next few years.

Like I said in another thread. Hate to talk about NE wrs but that's all it is... runs nice routes, gets open and most importantly catches the damn ball. Dont need flash, just dependable hands and move the chains.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, EricAllenPick6 said:

Jason Avant 2.0?

23 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean i think he could be a decent long term slot for sure... i like him. 

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

He's a dependable mid level talent who is best suited for the slot. He's good enough for now, but I'd always have my eyes open for an upgrade over the next few years.

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Like I said in another thread. Hate to talk about NE wrs but that's all it is... runs nice routes, gets open and most importantly catches the damn ball. Dont need flash, just dependable hands and move the chains.

Not everyone can be Julio Jones.  Every team needs some Jason Avant.

Nothing against Ward, but I hope they aren't too locked in on him. I would love to see all 3 rookies impress and JJAW bounce back.

Not likely but that's my hope.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:04 PM, downundermike said:

Oh I completely agree with you! We don't need spectacular play from him. We need good reliable play. Make the plays that he should and be a consistent target for Wentz. 

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Players like Greg Ward have been roles on offenses ranked #20 and below in yards and scoring.

I disagree with that. Put some explosive players on this offense and it opens things up. You don't need a stud slot receiver to have a really good offense. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I disagree with that. Put some explosive players on this offense and it opens things up. You don't need a stud slot receiver to have a really good offense. 

IMO, put some explosive players on the offense and he no longer has a big role.

8 hours ago, eagle45 said:

You don't need explosive players at every receiver position though... You need a dependable guy in the slot.

On 8/18/2020 at 7:25 AM, eagle45 said:

He doesn't have to have a big role, just catch the ball on the correct side of the first down marker consistently. And don't spend 8 weeks per season in street clothes injured, don't do sit ups in his driveway, don't beat (or worse) any women.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 4:04 PM, downundermike said:

Yeah, agreed.  I mention Jason Avant in a positive sense, really.  He wasn't a star, but he was Mr. First Down - always seemed to be in the right spot and able to pull in the ball for first down yardage.