Final Fantasy Titles

Agent23

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Played the demo. Lots of cut scenes. Took awhile to get used to the controls

I am not used to demos kind of being the opening of the game. Usually it’s a segment somewhere like 3-4 hours into it

11 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I am not used to demos kind of being the opening of the game. Usually it’s a segment somewhere like 3-4 hours into it

I think I read that they wanted the demo to give the backstory and then you can dive into it when you get the game

I just finished FF15 after a 7ish year layoff. Was up until 130 to beat this thing and rando-KO’d what had to be 90 seconds from defeating the final boss. 

I don’t know if it was the attempted 9p-12a over the 3-4 days I completed chapters 3-14 (I think CH4-12 took the same time to play as CH13-14… surprisingly brief game if you have highly leveled characters and just play the main storyline), but I have no clue what happened the last 5-6 hours or the game. It might have been waking up 50 consecutive times to see my guy just running in place into a wall because I kept dozing off trying to squeeze in playtime before bed… but I’ll have to Wikipedia or YouTube what the heck I just spent time playing because I have no clue what happened :lol: 

FF XVI is basically a movie/story where you can occasionally control the main character. 

I had hoped the amount of exposition in the demo was just a setup for the rest of the game, but it really is about 2/3 cutscenes and dialog, 1/4 walking through tubes from one place to another, and the 1/12th that remains is when gameplay actually happens.

It's not challenging, and while the gameplay mechanics could be good the game doesn't make it difficult enough to require learning them.

It's getting a lot of high ratings, but honestly I'm regretting the purchase. I much prefer the party management and turn based open(ish) worlds of FF VII (original) and FF X. 

If you liked those FF incarnations, and didn't much care for Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, skip it. It's more similar to the latter than other games in the FF series IMHO.

20 hours ago, JohnSnowsHair said:

FF XVI is basically a movie/story where you can occasionally control the main character. 

I had hoped the amount of exposition in the demo was just a setup for the rest of the game, but it really is about 2/3 cutscenes and dialog, 1/4 walking through tubes from one place to another, and the 1/12th that remains is when gameplay actually happens.

It's not challenging, and while the gameplay mechanics could be good the game doesn't make it difficult enough to require learning them.

It's getting a lot of high ratings, but honestly I'm regretting the purchase. I much prefer the party management and turn based open(ish) worlds of FF VII (original) and FF X. 

If you liked those FF incarnations, and didn't much care for Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, skip it. It's more similar to the latter than other games in the FF series IMHO.

I need something that keeps moving forward these days. It’s almost more similar to something like God of War/Ragnarok, tho with admittedly more dialog/video sections 

• 3 weeks later...

Jumping back into this after my week+ break due to vacation/etc. 

Just fought a decent sized battle when the bad guys raided a peaceful village. After killing like 30+ of those F’ers, the game (notoriously) goes into cutscene mode. My two characters involved in the skirmish have their face, clothes, hair, weapons, alllll speckled with blood. Solid detail I don’t think I’ve seen ever in a game before (usually blood is only shown on someone to signify their own personal injuries… not the aftermath of a slaughter) 

Did anyone get the 1-6 pixel remasters? They're f'ing awesome...Played through 1, 2, 3, 4 so far...Started 6 last week bc that's muh favvvvvvvv.

22 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

Did anyone get the 1-6 pixel remasters? They're f'ing awesome...Played through 1, 2, 3, 4 so far...Started 6 last week bc that's muh favvvvvvvv.

I played and Platinum'd 1 (this was my entry into the franchise in like summer 1996) but never got around to the others. I was attempting to play and complete Fallen Order before Survivor released, but I failed in the first, as a result never started the sequel, and then FF16 came out and I jumped into that (probably because the demo allowed me early access taste). 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished the game Friday night. I'm in full on post-game depression. Absolutely devastating reliving that moment from 27 years ago.

3 hours ago, mayanh8 said:

Finished the game Friday night. I'm in full on post-game depression. Absolutely devastating reliving that moment from 27 years ago.

I guess this tells me what happens lmao. I just got to golden saucer and other than the default introduction scene, all I’ve done is check myself into the hotel. I want to say I’m somewhere nearing 50 hours played 

23 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I guess this tells me what happens lmao.

It really doesn't. You could end up walking away from the end of the game thinking the complete opposite or somewhere in between. I'm choosing to interpret the ending a certain way.

I really would like to read your take when you finish. I don't know many people who are playing the game and I have a lot I want to talk through lol in order to process my emotions.

23 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I just got to golden saucer and other than the default introduction scene, all I’ve done is check myself into the hotel. I want to say I’m somewhere nearing 50 hours played 

Just an FYI, if your invested enough to care about romance options, pay very close attention to that. You could end up missing out (in a number of ways) on a preferred "date night" with a party member. It happens at the Golden Saucer so it might even be too late. I know there are some side quests there that will be your last chance to influence your party relationship scores.

3 hours ago, mayanh8 said:

It really doesn't. You could end up walking away from the end of the game thinking the complete opposite or somewhere in between. I'm choosing to interpret the ending a certain way.

I really would like to read your take when you finish. I don't know many people who are playing the game and I have a lot I want to talk through lol in order to process my emotions.

Just an FYI, if your invested enough to care about romance options, pay very close attention to that. You could end up missing out (in a number of ways) on a preferred "date night" with a party member. It happens at the Golden Saucer so it might even be too late. I know there are some side quests there that will be your last chance to influence your party relationship scores.

I know in the OG I always wound up with AeriS and when I played/platinum’d the OG within the last few years via PSN download I think it wanted Barret? so whoever it was has been my only time. I’ve done ever available quest to date and seem to answer questions "correctly”, so I feel like my rapport is great with everyone but I anticipate Aerith to be the default pairing since that’s kind of the story I feel like the game tries to tell. 

The expanded dialog and character depth in these remake/rebirth games tho make the Tifa-connection seem much more like the ‘correct’ thing with Cloud seemingly friend-zoning Aerith every chance he gets and her sometimes seeming a little to goofy/silly  

Starting up for tonight’s post-work play through 

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I know in the OG I always wound up with AeriS and when I played/platinum’d the OG within the last few years via PSN download I think it wanted Barret? so whoever it was has been my only time. I’ve done ever available quest to date and seem to answer questions "correctly”, so I feel like my rapport is great with everyone but I anticipate Aerith to be the default pairing since that’s kind of the story I feel like the game tries to tell. 

The expanded dialog and character depth in these remake/rebirth games tho make the Tifa-connection seem much more like the ‘correct’ thing with Cloud seemingly friend-zoning Aerith every chance he gets and her sometimes seeming a little to goofy/silly  

Blue signifies a deep relationship. The first blue is darker and the lighter blue after that is the best you can get. 

If you've got multiple party members with the same color blue then it's decided by background math. The good news is once you complete the game they let you go back into chapter selection and pick anyone. 

14 hours ago, mayanh8 said:

Blue signifies a deep relationship. The first blue is darker and the lighter blue after that is the best you can get. 

If you've got multiple party members with the same color blue then it's decided by background math. The good news is once you complete the game they let you go back into chapter selection and pick anyone. 

Like just lets you choose whoever? There was some choice-outcome in remake (maybe dresses?) and I feel like I had to replay like 5+ hours worth of the game two additional times to get all combos. 

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Like just lets you choose whoever?

Yep.

I squeezed in about 30 mins over lunch. Was just gifted a buggy but unable to drive it yet. 

I think you can call the buggy on your d-pad just like a chocobo.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry bro. Not much burn the past week or two. I’m at Gongaga and just completed a boss fight in the exploded reactor that then seemed to have a completely new spin-off storyline from the OG. I was finishing the boss fight just before leaving for plans, and getting hit with 15 mins of video scenes (with no ability to menu-screen Save Game) that was all original content kind of threw me off. I hit the screen record button a few times knowing I’ll have to go back and absorb it, especially because I wasn’t expecting anything and planing to just save and shutdown following the conclusion of an otherwise standard fare battle segment. 

If you feel you missed anything or end up confused I recommend watching Maximillian Dood's playthrough. He's got his entire playthrough for every chapter from his Twitch stream uploaded to YouTube. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.a6f35a79383a6c49d0253fd2ff270816.png